Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dyno Don's Eliminator II

Dr Cobra

6 hours ago, Len Woodruff said:

I always wondered if this car ever had a blower. Looks like it did based on the above pic.

Yep, he started the '67 season as a injected only car, but added a blower as the need for more power arose. 

Edited by magicmustang
  • Like 1

Nice job Dale! A very accurate representation of a milestone drag car. I have a set of Slixx decals for this car and would love to build one like this as a “bookend” for my early sixties super stock model collection showing the evolution of drag cars from showroom stock to flipper funnies. Which kit(s) did you use to create this model? It’s too bad we have to kit-bash to accurately recreate early funnies like this one. Thanks for posting! John

2 hours ago, papajohn97 said:

Nice job Dale! A very accurate representation of a milestone drag car. I have a set of Slixx decals for this car and would love to build one like this as a “bookend” for my early sixties super stock model collection showing the evolution of drag cars from showroom stock to flipper funnies. Which kit(s) did you use to create this model? It’s too bad we have to kit-bash to accurately recreate early funnies like this one. Thanks for posting! John

I used the body from the AMT 67 Mercury Comet Cyclone GT kit, the chassis from the Polar Lights Hawaiian funny car and the 427 SOHC from Texas 3D Customs

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, magicmustang said:

Yep, he started the '67 season as a injected only car, but added a blower as the need for more power arose. 

Yeah, these cars changed constantly to keep up with the competition, you kinda have to pick a time and base your model on that period.

Dale, that looks GREAT! Excellent workmanship. Love the details. The colors look right on, especially noticed the magnesium finish on the wheels and valve covers- perfect! What type/color paint to you use on those pieces?

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2023 at 7:42 PM, Hoffman said:

Dale, that looks GREAT! Excellent workmanship. Love the details. The colors look right on, especially noticed the magnesium finish on the wheels and valve covers- perfect! What type/color paint to you use on those pieces?

For the magnesium finish I started with Tamiya XF-24 and added a little silver, a little gold, a little green, until it looked right to me. If you look at vintage photos of magnesium parts, there are many shades. I was going after a Dow #7 look.