Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite street rod of all time

Mine is Cole Cutler's '34 Ford 5-window. I remember reading about in high school. It had a 429 that had been stroked to 535. It was a street car that ran deep 9s, and it had a license plate that said You'd Lose (but I don't remember the exact letter combo he had. I found a small photo from a 1993 issue of Hot Rod: http://www.colecutler.com/photoalbum/main....++++7++6-07.jpg

The original article was around 1985.

The Doane Spencer '32 Roadster

http://www.petersen.org/default.cfm?DocID=...p;ExhibitID=456

And the Dick Bergren '32 Three Window. It's also known as the Doyle Gammel coupe but he bought it from Bergren and Gammel made changes to it I don't really care for, though it's still a good looking car;

http://www.petersen.org/default.cfm?DocID=...p;ExhibitID=453

Yes, I know technically these are hot rods, but I don't have any favorite street rods.

David

Edited by Davkin

Mine would have to be my Mom's 1936 Ford 2 door humpback sedan. Nothing extrodinary, just a homebuilt rod. I grew up in that car going to car shows all around the midwest. That was our "reliable" car. When the daily driver wouldn't go you could always count on the '36 to fire up and get you there. Its currently in the first stages of rebuild by my brother and me.

Sorry, no pics but that's because my favorite street street rod hasn't been built. But one of these days it'll be a full fendered '34 5 window coupe in a deep purple color with flames. Small block Chevy with auto trans. The interior will be dove grey leather will a console that starts under the dash goes between the bucket seats, up the rear wall and over the roof to the windshield. I've dreaming about this puppy for many years.

Sorry, no pics but that's because my favorite street street rod hasn't been built. But one of these days it'll be a full fendered '34 5 window coupe in a deep purple color with flames. Small block Chevy with auto trans. The interior will be dove grey leather will a console that starts under the dash goes between the bucket seats, up the rear wall and over the roof to the windshield. I've dreaming about this puppy for many years.

Jim, every mother's son on this forum has the exact same dream. Different cars perhaps but essentially the same dream. May they all come true. Big blocks and Ford 9" rears for everyone!

If any one was or is from So Cal, around 1994 or 95 my uncle took my father and I to a "Rod Powll picnic" and introduced me to the "Hell Rod". A 32/33 ford 2door sedan chopped and channeled in primer black ( no flats at that time) , blown big block (hemi i think) taller than the roof line and a lenco trans. Little brass skulls evey where,this thing was the nastyest looking thing I had ever seen in my 15 years of life. Alot like what we see today in the ratrod mags but complete,safe and it really worked, It was just a menace. I never got to talk to the owner but I new I was in the unfinished class and unfortunatly it finaly got painted. Now its gloss black with traditional flames, dont get me wrong it still looks great, but it was so sick in black primer with all the raw brass and aluminum.

• 8 years later...

I think I'd go with the Tom McMullen roadster, that was a for real car, that not only showed well, but was raced at the dry lakes, on the drag strip, and, on the street if you were ballsy enough to chose him off. A blown engine, quick change out back, five spokes and flames, tuck 'n roll, just flat bitchin'!

The Graffitti coupe that John Milner drove, was in real life, only a movie car, not that cherry up close, and in real life didn't have enough power to spin the tires. A low to the ground shot was used in the drag racing scene when the tires spun, so that you wouldn't realize the production crew had mounted small rear tires on the coupe to get them to break loose. Some hot rodder should actually  build "the fastest car in the valley" Milner coupe with serious race car parts, just stay true to the look. In real life, McMullen could have smoked John Milner.

In general, I don't have much use for the term "street rod". To me, it's become synonymous with mediocre, catalog-built-auto-trans-equipped-smallblock-Chebby-powered "lookit ME" vehicles that aren't particularly fast, don't handle or brake particularly well, and are usually short on function and reliability. Since I'm in the business, I see a lot of 'em.

That said, two three of my favorite hot-rod / custom vehicles of all time are:

1) The Eddie Dye roadster

Image result for eddie dye roadster

Image result for eddie dye roadster

2) Josh Mills chopped '35 Ford

Image result for Josh Mills '35 Ford

1935-f13.jpg

3) Dennis Lacy's '27 on '32 rails

2v2UVWYGyxK4GA4.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I agree 100% with all the above excellent choices especially the Doan Spencer roadster but me as far as Dueces go it would be the Joe Nitti roadster, Truly a classic and timeless build. In other words to me this car is just right.

2vSBfRvvx29seC.jpg

That said, for full fenders. this 57 Ford really does it for me

2vM2YCiTx29seC.jpg

Again, to my completely untrained eye, this car is timeless

The first one I thought of was Dennis Lacy's too, Bill. Another favorite for many years is the one in this picture in the far lane. Ivo's T-bucket.

Mine is the iconic "Kookie's T" built by Norm Grabowski. Arguably considered the "Birth" of the Bucket T.

(your results may vary)

b0a47027672590c10d087c68571648fd.thumb.j