Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Newly Tooled Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

baycolony

On 10/5/2023 at 9:12 AM, baycolony said:

So as promised, I completed the interior in "Ginger." I used some Vallejo Military colors to get the right tones as I noticed that reference pics showed varying subtle color differences. This interior also brought with it the challenge of a multicolored dashboard. This required a lot of detail painting. I also replaced the directional lever with a piece of brass rod. One note: The wood grain decal surrounding the middle instrument cluster fits very poorly and i ended up supplementing it with matching paint. It may be easier to just paint the area. If you choose to use the decal you need to cut out the openings for the 3 gauges prior to applying. I am nearing the end. I hope you enjoy the pics.

1971 Boss Interior (1).jpg

1971 Boss Interior (2).jpg

1971 Boss Interior (3).jpg

1971 Boss Interior (4).jpg

1971 Boss Interior (5).jpg

1971 Boss Interior (6).jpg

1971 Boss Interior (7).jpg

Fantastic interior detailing, Instrament panel looks amazing!

• Like 1

Well here is the COMPLETED build! I have to say that this is the best fitting Revell kit that I have ever built. Really on par with Japanese kits. All of the stressful construction steps were alleviated. (Glass, fit of body to chassis, wheel ride height, tires...). I just can't say enough about this. A few small criticisms could be the transparency and fit of some of the decals and some wrong callouts for colors or placement of decals, and maybe the lack of certain attachment points for some parts. I added an antennae and also detailed the molded in ram air assembly on the underside of the hood. Some have complained about this, but with some careful painting can be made to look quite good. As a final note, I solved the problem of the pinstripe decal vs the blacked out hood by hand painting Vallejo satin varnish to blend in the sheen of the black paint. Here is a teaser picture, I will post a new thread in the "completed" section later.

IMG_20231011_101208.jpg

IMG_20231008_234835.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Is this kit 1/25th or 1/24th scale?         Could not make it out from the box set in initial post.

This has been an interesting build resulting in a really nice finished model.

1/25 scale

Awesome!  I can't wait to start my Revell kit..but I am practicing on the AMT kit first, LOL! 

On 10/11/2023 at 10:24 PM, baycolony said:

Well here is the COMPLETED build! I have to say that this is the best fitting Revell kit that I have ever built. Really on par with Japanese kits. All of the stressful construction steps were alleviated. (Glass, fit of body to chassis, wheel ride height, tires...). I just can't say enough about this. A few small criticisms could be the transparency and fit of some of the decals and some wrong callouts for colors or placement of decals, and maybe the lack of certain attachment points for some parts.  As a final note, I solved the problem of the pinstripe decal vs the blacked out hood by hand painting Vallejo satin varnish to blend in the sheen of the black paint. 

Gil...thanks for posting your final assessment of the kit.  It exactly mirrors my own.  Excellent result, too, using the Vallejo product.  And the final model looks terrific, too.  Best...TIM