Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell (Monogram) 1/24 1977 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade

Looks like this kit will be coming back soon! This site incorrectly shows it as 1/25 scale. It normally has been sold as a 2n1 kit, I wonder if the 3n1 is a typo?

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

Apparently, at least according to Stevens International, the return of the '70 Torino Cobra is just one piece in a slate of good news for in-bound Revell reissues. 

REVELL-MONOGRAM RMX-4547 1/25 1977 Jeep CJ7 Renegade (3 in 1) $0.00 $0.00 TBA  

Edited by Jordan White
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Oldriginal86 said:

Dreaming I know, but I’d like an inline 6 instead of the V8.

Expensive option is to modify the one from the Tamiya Wrangler. Moderate to possibly expensive option is have one 3d printed. Cheapest option is to modify a GM in-line 6 to look like an AMC engine.

6 hours ago, Jordan White said:

Expensive option is to modify the one from the Tamiya Wrangler. Moderate to possibly expensive option is have one 3d printed. Cheapest option is to modify a GM in-line 6 to look like an AMC engine.

There's an AMC straight six in the recent Pacer kits.

On 8/21/2023 at 3:12 PM, Jordan White said:

Looks like this kit will be coming back soon! This site incorrectly shows it as 1/25 scale. It normally has been sold as a 2n1 kit, I wonder if the 3n1 is a typo?

The 1/24th one is the Monogram full detail kit...presumably the reissue is the Revell 1/25th snap kit that hasn't been seen in 40+ years..

Edited by Rob Hall

6 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

The 1/24th one is the Monogram full detail kit...presumably the reissue is the Revell 1/25th snap kit that hasn't been seen in 40+ years..

This could be it, we thought they got the scale wrong on the 81 Camaro last year and it ended up being the old Revell snap kit instead of the Monogram 79 kit.

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

The original box that I see on scalemates doesn’t mention anything about multiple versions, so if it is that one they would at least be adding parts maybe?

54 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

The original box that I see on scalemates doesn’t mention anything about multiple versions, so if it is that one they would at least be adding parts maybe?

On Scalemates I see two releases--one with a hardtop and one open, and two decal styles...so could make 3 versions out of that I guess..there also the Stomper kits w/ big tires, not sure if that is the same tooling. 

10 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

True, and it's a bit crude for today. 3d printed would be the way to go if one was available. 

I keep dropping hints to Charles from Texas3dcustoms to put it on his list of things to do. Now that we have plenty of slant 6 options, it’s time to move onto a few American Motors.

The original two Monogram 1/24th Jeep CJ-7 kits were a real sleeper in the Monogram kit catalog c.1977 (sleeper said in a good way).  Here is a photo of two box stock kit build versions, mostly sourced from several of the more recent reissues.    

For those with a collection of the back issues of the old other model magazine, there was a cover story on these kits and buildup advice in one of the last issues of the mag (2019 or 2020) IIRC.  The kit was slightly fussy to put together, but the only real issue was the rear hardtop, which could not be tweaked (at least in this project) to fit properly, so was left off the blue build version.  

If the subject interests you, this is a kit I highly recommend, especially if you do not ordinarily build off-road 4x4 models...

DSC 0119

43 additional images here...TB 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 7:06 AM, Jordan White said:

Honestly if the Monogram kit didn’t have the weird oversize wheels and better tires, then it would be a perfect kit. Luckily Fireball has several great options now that would work for it!

Mmmh, this made me think, and yes, looks like a bit of photo editing went on back then for this release. The wheels look a bit out of sorts. 

1979 AMC Mork & Mindy Jeep (1/24) See more info

But, they look like that in real life. 

Mork & Mindy’s house

20 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Mmmh, this made me think, and yes, looks like a bit of photo editing went on back then for this release. The wheels look a bit out of sorts. 

1979 AMC Mork & Mindy Jeep (1/24) See more info

But, they look like that in real life. 

Mork & Mindy’s house

I would say there was quite a bit of editing since the box art shows a shortened CJ7 and the real picture is a CJ5. The wheels in the M&M Jeep appear to be Jackmans and the ones in the kit are the factory wagon wheels produced by American Wheel.