Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any postal employees on here? I don't understand this.

Monty

Another ebay purchase.  

Can someone explain why my item ping-pongs around these Dallas facilities for so long?

1. Aug 26, 2023
    1:56pm
    Departed USPS Regional Facility
    DALLAS TX LOGISTICS CENTER
  2. Aug 26, 2023
    1:19pm
    DEPARTED USPS REGIONAL FACILITY
    DALLAS TX LOGISTICS CENTER, 75059
  3. Aug 26, 2023
    9:38am
    ARRIVED AT USPS REGIONAL FACILITY
  4. Aug 26, 2023
    5:46am
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
  5. Aug 26, 2023
    5:12am
    DALLAS TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER, 75260

10 hours ago, Monty said:

Another ebay purchase.  

Can someone explain why my item ping-pongs around these Dallas facilities for so long?

1. Aug 26, 2023
    1:56pm
    Departed USPS Regional Facility
  2. Aug 26, 2023
    1:19pm
  3. Aug 26, 2023
    9:38am
    ARRIVED AT USPS REGIONAL FACILITY
  4. Aug 26, 2023
    5:46am
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
  5. Aug 26, 2023
    5:12am
    DALLAS TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER, 75260

Not an USPS employee but a former warehouse supervisor. All of those mvmts at the Logistics center are probably mvmts inside the same facility. With some logistics systems every move inside the facility is logged so that its whereabouts are known, or where there's a handoff to another entity, say when moving from receiving to staging to shipping.

9 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Not an USPS employee but a former warehouse supervisor. All of those mvmts at the Logistics center are probably mvmts inside the same facility. With some logistics systems every move inside the facility is logged so that its whereabouts are known, or where there's a handoff to another entity, say when moving from receiving to staging to shipping.

Kinda like a "It's not my job" situations. Similar to the vintage Mikey cereal commercial - I'm not gonna try it, you try it. I'm not gonna try it...Let's get Mikey, he'll eat anything. Yeah.... LOLOLOL!

Edited by BlackSheep214

14 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Judging by the two zip codes, there were at least two different facilities involved.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Monty said:

Judging by the two zip codes, there were at least two different facilities involved.  

Correct, I was referring to the moves following the original move from the local facility. Your shipment departed the original facility, which is where the mail is probably assembled locally, then sent to the regional Logistics facility to be sent out from there. The LF takes advantage of economies of scale with more docks and trucks, where freight is collated and sorted for shipment to local facilities for final delivery.

14 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Kinda like a "It's not my job" situations. Similar to the vintage Mikey cereal commercial - I'm not gonna try it, you try it. I'm not gonna try it...Let's get Mikey, he'll eat anything. Yeah.... LOLOLOL!

No, its kind of how logistics work. Its called hub and spoke. Small facilities send to larger facilities with the most employees, then sorted and processed and then sent by truck to other facilities for final delivery. Its a proven method that works, even for UPS, and even smaller facilities where I worked.

This exact topic comes around here fairly frequently.  Nothing new.  Some parts of the country seem to have more problems than others.

And now with the new USPS Ground Advantage postal service replacing several older shipping methods we'll have to wait and see how that works out.

• Like 1

....."logistics".....nothing logical about it!!.....was faster when it was called s/h....& didn't cost near as much!   I don't send near as much as I use to & absolutely Killed the PIF!

Last year, I bought a built AMT 1957 Chrysler 300 from a guy on E Bay lives in Haverhill Mass. which is less then 30 miles from my house. Using the tracking number that he provided, I watched the car move through the USPS network and it arrived at it's facility in Boston. So far, so good Less than a day later, I found that it was shipped to Baton Rouge LA. and it sat there for three whole days before it came to my house.

I contacted seller and told him what was going on and apologized for delaying the feedback. He was surprised as well.

Edited by John M.

I had a package once from somewhere, ship to the state I live in, only to end up in Hawaii the next day,bthe day it was supposed to be delivered. I called and they said it will still be delivered, they have until whatever time to deliver it bim like it's in Hawaii right now. It will be on time

2 or 3 days later it eventually arrived. The customer service was amazing that day