Model Cars Magazine Forum

2023 BRGB Movin' On Kenworth

This one was fun to do. It consisted of blending the Revell KW kit with the AMT KW kit to get a fairly accurate Movin' On (second season) build.  Wheels are AMT WF 22" Alcoa's and engine is an AMT Cummins 855 cu. in turbo straight 6. Rear suspension is an aftermarket Awslowe resin Torsion Bar and paint is 1974 Ford Ivy Glo from Scalefinishes. Big thanks to Force for offering his reference photos and information to make Sonny's KW become reality.

IMG_2855.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

IMG_2840.JPG

IMG_2841.JPG

IMG_2863.JPG

IMG_2858.JPG

IMG_2867.JPG

IMG_2866.JPG

IMG_2868.JPG

IMG_2869.JPG

IMG_2862.JPG

IMG_2842.JPG

IMG_2845.JPG

IMG_2849.JPG

IMG_2837.JPG

Edited by leafsprings
  • Like 5

You nailed it quite good Tommy, it's a build to be proud of. 👍
I'm glad I could be of assistance and help you with what I know, it's fun when the result ends up this good.
One thing that I haven't noticed before...the stacks...you have angeled "baloney" cut pipes and the TV series trucks had straight cut pipes...me picky??? You think?? 😉😁

Edited by Force
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the positive comments. I'm pleased with the overall look, but could have done an even more accurate replica. I took a few liberties with the extra grab handles on stacks and sleeper (mainly because there were holes already for them) and left the convex mirror attached to main mirrors that shouldn't be there.  Missed that exhaust stack angle detail completely, good eye Hakan.  Maybe a more accurate season 1 KW or Moose and Benjy GMC with trailer may be in the future🙂 Anyone who tries to do a season 2 truck will quickly discover publicity photos of the season 2 truck are almost non existent. 98% of photos on the net seem to be of season 1 truck or the restored truck. Here are 2 of the season 2 KW's. Swapped out a closer looking Bingo plate.

20545253_1645379405504337_6020751304756643334_o.png

IMG_2872.JPG

Edited by leafsprings
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 12:25 AM, leafsprings said:

Thanks for all the positive comments. I'm pleased with the overall look, but could have done an even more accurate replica. I took a few liberties with the extra grab handles on stacks and sleeper (mainly because there were holes already for them) and left the convex mirror attached to main mirrors that shouldn't be there.  Missed that exhaust stack angle detail completely, good eye Hakan.  Maybe a more accurate season 1 KW or Moose and Benjy GMC with trailer may be in the future🙂 Anyone who tries to do a season 2 truck will quickly discover publicity photos of the season 2 truck are almost non existent. 98% of photos on the net seem to be of season 1 truck or the restored truck. Here are 2 of the season 2 KW's.

20545253_1645379405504337_6020751304756643334_o.png

Yes, photos and information on the season 2 1975 trucks are very sparce, some still shots from the TV series itself and a very few other pictures are out there...believe me...I hunt down and save everything I can on all of the Movin' On trucks...and some others too for that matter.
The season 1 1974 trucks is much easier as there are a lot more pictures and info on them.
The picture from the Big Switch episode is of both the 1975 trucks used in the season 2 at the same time, they were ordered and built at the same time and are identical.
Most people thinks that the trucks from both seasons are alike but here are some differences between the 1974 and 1975 trucks so if one are going to do an accurate replica of either one there is lots of things and small details to look for and get right.
The thing I don't like is that in season 2 they dubbed on the 2 stroke diesel sound from Benji and Moose's GMC Crackerbox on almost all of the outside scenes of the "Sundance" Kenworth's...the trucks had Cummins NTC 4 stroke engines, not Detroit 2 stroke.

Edited by Force
  • Like 1

There were a few other notable trucks in the series that would be cool future builds in addition to Moose and Benji's GMC. Ones that come to mind are the long wheelbase silver and blue WF in "High Rollers", the green Reo Raider in "High Rollers", the dark blue  Diamond Reo 931 in "Games", the red and white Kenworth logger in "Good for Laughs" and the long wheelbase blue Kenworth cabover in "Tattoos". Any takers?😀

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Rockford said:

Your build captures it well. 

Thankyou!  Back in '77, I remember painting the AMT kit green, slapping some decals on it and it was done. That build, long gone. In a nutshell, the AMT kit should have had a larger front bumper, larger sleeper, longer wheelbase, larger tire and wheel size, different style battery boxes, different transmission, lower cab door handles and a torsion bar rear suspension(  the original non Movin On KW kit did have a torsion bar rear suspension, but was changed out in later kits).  IMO, AMT probably felt in would be too expensive to retool half the existing kit, it was much easier and more profitable to just add decals.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...