Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jaguar XK-E

ModelcarJR

This is another kit I have started prepping. Its a Revell of Germany kit that I found at Michaels. Although its in the usual American boxing, its instructions reveal that if was designed for Europe. Instructions in 21 different languages.  In my old age, I have finally determined what makes European models so different - they have discovered how to take something simple and make it very complicated as can be seen by the first page of instructions. I have done all the basic painting but there will be a lot of detail painting to do as I completed each step. But I will eliminate multiple shades of the same color and try to keep this simple. The body is painted Tamiya Italian Red and the rest have been painted with shades of black and silver. I still have to rub out the body and I have bagged all the parts so this should be ready to go once I start. Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFyhSSKU9cPCUjJZBIclXU3N4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1695388822

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFx1RKu63ZVN9gvKu9jg0baPaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1695388822

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFxd5HqWaxqXaS0NFFzesPkCVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1695388820

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFx4b7lSProvyKOlLCzn2iO-ldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1695388820

Thanks, David, Jeremy and DW. I appreciate your comments!

I built the '"old tool" convertible issue of this kit and it had some serious warpage problems with the hood and frame. I sorta got it straightened out but it still didn't look quite right. I'll find it one day ( I have to find it among the 350 or so built kits which is never any fun) and post it so you can see the issues.  I rubbed out the hood and body today but had to repaint the top and re-clear due to a clouding issue fo some sort and I had a booger in the top that I had to get out. I'll rub the body out again tomorrow. Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFynkBtk_hMCcEz_qoNZOQ2-Kwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1695425814

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwPkgjCE2pJzvaUtT0keqM8V7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1695425814

• Like 1

I got this kit and I noticed a bunch of short shots.  So much for building it right away.  I contacted Revell of Germany and sent them pictures and a listing of the parts and numbers of the offending parts and I had new parts in about a week.  Good luck with yours John!

Thanks, Carl, Carl, and Mike! I appreciate your comments! Sorry to hear about your short shots, Mike, but I'm glad Revell rectified the issue!  

I've posted below a couple of photos of the convertible that I built some time ago. I remember that the box it came in was very small much like the $.98 kits that we used to buy when we were kids when we didn't have enough money in our pockets to buy the $1.49 or $2.00 Trophy Series kits. I'm pretty sure that the box said Revell of Brazil as in South America. I thought I saved the box top but I can't find it now. Anyway, the hood was pretty warped and i straightened it out a bunch but its still warped to the left a bit. Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFz-kzyby3rLV-hpSDf458DuqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1695759207

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFzLdfRNH1ztJV1-66xhX06VVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1695759207

On 9/22/2023 at 9:38 AM, ModelcarJR said:

In my old age, I have finally determined what makes European models so different - they have discovered how to take something simple and make it very complicated as can be seen by the first page of instructions.

John, it is the modelers themselves who request that kits have more and more details.  These are not those simple kits that MPC, AMT, Revall, or Monogram made 50 years ago which cost $2.  I have no doubt that model companies would much prefer producing model with fewer parts (as it takes less design and prototyping time for them), but then modelers would complain that they produced a brand new simple kit.

Thanks, Carl, David and Peter! I appreciate your comments! 

Peter, I think that you misunderstood my comments and have mixed apples with oranges, a bit. When I referred to the box sizes I was trying to differentiate the box sizes only - not parts count. The "old" convertible kit pictured above, came in a slender rectangular box and was different from the $2.00 AMT Trophy Series or 3 in 1 kits that are still the same size today. I was trying to say that the "old" kit may have been warped due to manufacture or maybe due to age or storage over the years. It is different from either the hardtop or convertible of today. BTW, the $2.00 kits, like the 1929 Ala Kart, had a lot of parts and was in fact, a double kit. You could build both the Ala Kart and a 1929 Ford Roaster from that kit. 

When I referred to the European models, I was referring to the instructions. For instance, in the first panel they have four red arrows to tell the builder to mate the two engine halves. Or they have a color called "anthracite". I had to look it up but it means 'coal-like" which I take means black. I realize that they are just trying to sell their paints but it just makes things a bit more difficult than it could be. When you have multiple arrows and multiple color references in the same panel it just gets a little more confusing, even to an "old" builder like me. I prefer the KISS method. Keep it short and simple! 

I did not intend to make any comment about parts count or quality of either European or American models. 

3 hours ago, ModelcarJR said:

Or they have a color called "anthracite". I had to look it up but it means 'coal-like" which I take means black. I realize that they are just trying to sell their paints but it just makes things a bit more difficult than it could be.

Steve Coogan's rare Jaguar E-type is up for sale

An E-Type engine block is typically painted a more gray color as opposed to a straight black. I have found that Vallejo Model Air "Engine Grey" #71048 is a good match for this color.

• Like 1

Thanks, Justin!  I appreciate your comment! Black Silk Matte is the color they suggest for the engine. Hard to see engine block above for me. Exhaust looks gloss black which agrees with the Jaguar instructions. Anthracite is used on the undercarriage and some other parts according to the instructions. I used flat black - I have it and it looks good to me! 

Some mentions of the 'old tool' Revell E Type have been made.

I can remember building one many years ago and it did have some fit issues. Also, I seem to remember it being 1/25th scale as it was a Revell USA kit.

The new one is 1/24th scale and very much better. My only criticism is that the wheels are a bit too wide and do not quite look right. Maybe someone produces the correct width wheels and tyres as 3D printed items?

On 9/29/2023 at 10:04 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

Some mentions of the 'old tool' Revell E Type have been made.

I can remember building one many years ago and it did have some fit issues. Also, I seem to remember it being 1/25th scale as it was a Revell USA kit.

The new one is 1/24th scale and very much better. My only criticism is that the wheels are a bit too wide and do not quite look right. Maybe someone produces the correct width wheels and tyres as 3D printed items?

Hi, Noel,

motobitz UK has the correct wheels for this E-type (with period-correct tire tread):

49992285_E-type1-24.jpg.62fd72864d6d8e004ecc1d24188327bd.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, All, for your comments!  Jason, I'll post any issues that I have but this one is next in line as I am working on the 67 Chevy Impala at the moment.  

Helmut, thanks for your posting of the correct after-market tires and wheels but by the time I bought them and had them shipped to the U.S., I'm sure it would cost me more than the $20 I have invested in the kit. Then there is removing them from the sprue which looks like a chore, painting the inside of the spokes with chrome paint without globing to much paint on the outside of the spokes and finally, painting the tire with a brush, I suppose. A lot of money and a lot of work. 

The wheel in the kit does seem a bit big and the tire is wider than I would think it should be.  I might use a red-line tire that is a bit taller but skinnier and a wire wheel from an old Chrysler Imperial or a 5 spoke wheel from a 65 Pontiac. I might even have a set of Corvette wheels with three-pronged spinners that would look good. I'll have to see as I start building! Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFzxLXwM4IY4g_Lqsf8zqpqbrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1696278825

• 3 months later...

I'm back on this one finally. I got distracted by a couple of other builds and this one got shoved into the closet. I had previously painted and rubbed out the body and painted a few of the larger parts. Now I am starting to assemble everything and detail painting the parts with a brush as I go. So far I have partially assembled the engine and the rear suspension which is the first page of instructions. Lots of detail painting and lots of decals. I am just going to build this box stock. More progress tomorrow! Thanks for looking! 😎

image.png.493dd991617cf13e27467b2b1adea121.png

image.png.44d729c91ca993e2d967bf7cfe80cf96.png

• Like 1