Model Cars Magazine Forum

1979 Plymouth Volare Roadrunner

satterwhite78

You normally wouldn't associate Plymouth Volare with the Roadrunner nameplate but the 76 through 80 F body Plymouth were just a trim package.

The 76/77 models the 318 engine came standard while the 360 came with a 2 bbl carb and single exhuast. The 78/79 models offered the 360 with a 4 bbl carb but only the 79 year model came with dual exhaust rated at 195 hp. 

The 80 year model and last of the lineage came with a redesign front end, the slant six 225 Cid as standard and the 318 as the only V8 option.

Kudos to my daughter for getting this for me.  The text she sent asked me if the Volare and a MPC Pinto wagon were rare.  My reply was only w/o the Pinto but get it anyway.

I borrowed  a rear spoiler and rear side window louvers from a MPC Fuzzduster kit that I got from a friend. Unusual that the Fuzzduster had 3 rear spoiler, 2 stock and 1 custom, and the rear window louvers.

Since the engine in the kit looked undersized( like a V6). I used the engine from a Joker Goon Monaco which fell right in.  The rims were a close 2nd to the original based on a YouTube clip that I got my inspiration from. 

Bought Silver stripe decals from Microscale decals to custom apply to the hood, lower sides and rear panel.  Used ModelMaster lacquer Hugger Orange to replicate the Spitfire Orange from the Chrysler Color chart (Sorry GM guys......not! Lol)

20230910_085037.jpg

20230910_085059.jpg

20230910_085004.jpg

20230924_191547.jpg

20230910_085118.jpg

20230910_084919.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

very nice work 
i wish they would have retooled the 76 dart sport kit into the 77 aspen r/t when they retooled the 76 duster kit into 77 volare roadrunner kit then did the same as the volare roadrunner kit through 1980 model year  with the aspen rt 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sport Suburban said:

Very Nice! Was this a resto or a nice kit to start with?

It was a opened kit that my daughter found while weekend shopping at a Thrift store.  The MPC Pinto Pony Express wagon she also got was open but both kits had everything. 

The Volare came with a hideous  "padded vinyl 1/2 top" that the previous owner had already glued on. The Volare body has the T-top molded into the roof. With his overly abundant use of tube glue application in one spot,  I was able to remove the faux vinyl top but had a 1 inch diameter section that didn't want to be evicted.

Saw, scrape, sand, putty, sand some more, primer,  sand some more, putty again, sand even more, primer......this could go on for days ( the post)

I made the decision to sand the raised T-top strips off to go with a solid roof.  When I get around to the Fuzzduster I will probably go with an open T-top.

Enjoy your posts  immensely and do look forward to the next one.

1 hour ago, ncbuckeye67 said:

That's an awesome build! And that daughter... I'd keep her if I were you (Lol).

I've had her for about 35 years...she's a keeper, just like my wife of 40 years  this May!

Thanks for looking and comment everyone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, satterwhite78 said:

It was a opened kit that my daughter found while weekend shopping at a Thrift store.  The MPC Pinto Pony Express wagon she also got was open but both kits had everything. 

The Volare came with a hideous  "padded vinyl 1/2 top" that the previous owner had already glued on. The Volare body has the T-top molded into the roof. With his overly abundant use of tube glue application in one spot,  I was able to remove the faux vinyl top but had a 1 inch diameter section that didn't want to be evicted.

Saw, scrape, sand, putty, sand some more, primer,  sand some more, putty again, sand even more, primer......this could go on for days ( the post)

I made the decision to sand the raised T-top strips off to go with a solid roof.  When I get around to the Fuzzduster I will probably go with an open T-top.

Enjoy your posts  immensely and do look forward to the next one.

I've had her for about 35 years...she's a keeper, just like my wife of 40 years  this May!

Thanks for looking and comment everyone.

My daughter just turned 35 in September!

The 1:1 subject may have been little more than a trim option, but your build looks like it could be so much more. Strong color and well done, window coverings and just a little paint trim on the hood. The wheels look good along with some nice tires. 

The late 70s were a real challenge for Muscle Cars. Chocked V8s coughing out less than 200hp were slowpokes compared to today's daily drivers and most of the creative designer touches did little to improve performance. All of the Big3 suffered the same fate from poor boardroom decision making. But this is a very good model and interesting subject matter. I like your paint scheme and all of the excellent details. Well done!

Nice build.

I did the FuzzBuster a few years ago, and had fun making it into a stock looking street warrior.

I owned a '76 Runner back in '81. Silver and black with orange and grey stripes. The 360 ran pretty good for the time and place, clicking off regular mid-15s in the quarter. A spread bore intake, small valve 340 heads, a tuned Q-Jet, a mild cam, and some 2 1/4 duals made it perk up somewhat. I think it had 3.55s out back.

• 4 months later...