Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT/Round2 recent release of the 65 Chevelle AWB kits

Hey folks - as most of you know the 65 Chevelle AWB kit has hit the local hobby shops - A new tooling process has taken place from the original kit - Some of you will remember it as the "Time Machine" originally an AMT kit -

For those who have been able to locate and purchase this kit, I have a question for you -

What is your opinion on the kit? ---- Good, bad or otherwise - 

I've purchased several (had them on backorder) and would like to hear from you as what you think of the kit - 

Thanks for your time and interest in buying this new release -

Joe

I've been collecting Time Machine parts for years, hoping to piece one together. Bought 3 of the new ones, and am a bit disappointed. The body has none of the factory stock trim or emblems, as the original did, and the rear panel is vastly inferior to the original. If you just want to bang together a retro/nostalgia-style "funny car" model, I guess it's okay, more or less. 

The new decal sheet is actually pretty nice, though. 

I still have my original, built in 1967 or so. The decals are in rough shape, and most of the chassis is gone. I'll probably build up one of the new chassis, paint one of the new bodies in the original box art scheme, and use a second set of decals to "restore" my original body. Figger I can get a kinda-sorta "Then and Now" build out of it. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

hey folks - I am really surprised that there has been as little reaction from members on the topic - so maybe I'll give my two cents in on the resent release of this kit - 

I'm going to use a scale of 0 to 10 for my thoughts - 0 being the kit was a flop - 5 being fair - 10 being good -

I would have to give credit to Round2 to release this well wanted kit from most of us older builders -

they get a 5 

for no emblems/script/window wiper blades/no detail on the rear trunk panel 

they get a 3

chrome parts for the kit 

they get a 7

for the recreated box art 

they get another 7 

now just understand - this is just my thoughts on the resent reissue of the "Time Machine" and there will be those that think it's a great kit and that's just fine 

and one additional note to the HPIGUY who did the review on this kit - you should turn the oil pan around - it's not a Ford 

comments are always welcomed - but remember, it's a hobby for most and not a job

• Like 1

I was over at a model buddy's house yesterday and he cracked one open. It does appear to be all new tooling. The slicks are 1 piece vinyl pad printed, no more 2 piece slicks. The body is crisp and clean, no emblems at all. The decal sheet is new as well, many sponsors to choose from. I will be picking one up soon.

• Like 1

Our club show is on the 11th. I'm a kit vendor, but hope to find one of these kits, maybe 2. I had the whole lineup when they came out years back. I recall them as being pretty basic and easy to build. 

I would like to do one with some after market parts, like wheels and tires. Maybe add a fuel cell and do some wiring and plumbing. The supplied roll cage is over an 1/8" in diameter, so that has to be fixed up.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 6:25 AM, bobss396 said:

Our club show is on the 11th. I'm a kit vendor, but hope to find one of these kits, maybe 2. I had the whole lineup when they came out years back. I recall them as being pretty basic and easy to build. 

I would like to do one with some after market parts, like wheels and tires. Maybe add a fuel cell and do some wiring and plumbing. The supplied roll cage is over an 1/8" in diameter, so that has to be fixed up.

You can go nuts on this kit, but you'll be replacing pretty much everything but the body, and maybe the wheels and tires. 

Me, I'm just gonna pimp-slap mine together and have FUN with it, exactly the way I did in 1967. ;)

• Like 1

I picked up a few. I fondly remember drooling over this kit and many others in the Auto World catalog in my misspent youth. The body is clean and crisp with the added bonus of not having to sand off all of the scripts and emblems that would have been removed on a drag car. These are stupid simple kits, so keep that in mind. No brakes, no master cylinder, no steering linkage from the firewall to the axle. I'm almost done building one (with a few mods). Nice decal sheet, new rubber tires that faithfully reproduce the original plastic tires (which I prefer). The front wheels are gorgeous, the only time they have been minted was on this kit and the Olds 85 topless version of this series. The price of admission is almost worth it for the front wheels. If you've ever had any of the other series, Mustang, Chevy II, Tempest etc., you know what you're in for. Probably not for most builders as these kits are more basic than basic. 

I'm giving it a 10! 

-RRR

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

I picked up a few. I fondly remember drooling over this kit and many others in the Auto World catalog in my misspent youth. The body is clean and crisp with the added bonus of not having to sand off all of the scripts and emblems that would have been removed on a drag car. These are stupid simple kits, so keep that in mind. No brakes, no master cylinder, no steering linkage from the firewall to the axle. I'm almost done building one (with a few mods). Nice decal sheet, new rubber tires that faithfully reproduce the original plastic tires (which I prefer). The front wheels are gorgeous, the only time they have been minted was on this kit and the Olds 85 topless version of this series. The price of admission is almost worth it for the front wheels. If you've ever had any of the other series, Mustang, Chevy II, Tempest etc., you know what you're in for. Probably not for most builders as these kits are more basic than basic. 

I'm giving it a 10! 

-RRR

I'm looking forward to building one. It is like a blank canvas, anyone can build one which was me when I was 12 or so. I need to get a break from the Frankenstein builds I have been doing for too long. The wheels are quite nice, so are the front tires. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Totally agree...this is a two week or so build. I'm hoping to finish up this weekend and post up... _RRR

Stick a fork in me, I'm just about done. I have a Pinto modified with sudden issues, should have headed one big one off, but rushing to make a show. I got 2 pro-street builds with problems. So with 5 projects going, I'm going to finish only 2 by Saturday.