Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 next year

Mr mopar

4 hours ago, SteveG said:

There are two wheel choices in the upcoming Charger Pursuit along with two different light bars.  The other wheel option is the Street Appearance covers that fit the small hole open wheels.  At the time of the of development of this kit (same time as the R/T) which is based on Dodges 2021 Pursuit Demo car, the information I had was the small hole open wheels were going to be used across the board on all drive train option.  Our 3D data comes from their licensing and marketing, not from engineering.  Obviously, I was disappointed that was not the case.  My first plan was to do the 5 spoke open wheels but changed my mind when I got the 3D data and reference photos.  

The choice to do the CHP livery is very recent as licensing was pending with CHP and few other agencies but their approval came first.  Too late to make any tooling changes to meet the release schedule. However, I did find one CHP Charger with the small hole open wheels which made me comfortable enough to go ahead with the kit as is. 

It's possible I may tool up both of the 5 spoke wheel options in the future depending how sales go.  The upper push bar lights are represented on the decal sheet, the bar itself has no molded light details, one of the compromises you have make when you don't know which agencies will give their approval.  

-Steve

Thanks Steve for the info,  very much looking forward to this one , I had a feeling you were going to handle the pushbar lights with decals.   For me, the included police wheels is what is used by the agency's I want to build so I am happy with the choice,  I already planned on getting more than a few 😉

I am happy you are doing the pushbar as is and not molding it as a California complaint style, it just makes it a bit easier for the builders that will be building it for other agencies like myself..

Any chance you can share what the other lightbar is going to be ?

Edited by martinfan5

5 hours ago, SteveG said:

There are two wheel choices in the upcoming Charger Pursuit along with two different light bars.  The other wheel option is the Street Appearance covers that fit the small hole open wheels.  At the time of the of development of this kit (same time as the R/T) which is based on Dodges 2021 Pursuit Demo car, the information I had was the small hole open wheels were going to be used across the board on all drive train option.  Our 3D data comes from their licensing and marketing, not from engineering.  Obviously, I was disappointed that was not the case.  My first plan was to do the 5 spoke open wheels but changed my mind when I got the 3D data and reference photos.  

The choice to do the CHP livery is very recent as licensing was pending with CHP and few other agencies but their approval came first.  Too late to make any tooling changes to meet the release schedule. However, I did find one CHP Charger with the small hole open wheels which made me comfortable enough to go ahead with the kit as is. 

It's possible I may tool up both of the 5 spoke wheel options in the future depending how sales go.  The upper push bar lights are represented on the decal sheet, the bar itself has no molded light details, one of the compromises you have make when you don't know which agencies will give their approval.  

-Steve

Steve, thank you for the information. I'm assuming the full wheel covers included in the kit will be the AWD style, seen in the first photo? Or will they be the 5 spoke design seen on the second?

2ea5b641bea7adba74b16b87ce83fce7.jpg.171724ba42c7de1068da267bf99236ef.jpg.4bcf2618fd1ef19219912909875c1568.jpg

2023-10-15_01-16-09.jpg.00563d29ae329eb5553bb428cb730b23.jpg.9ceca974da7989fbf7262365259c64b1.jpg

Edited by av405

4 hours ago, av405 said:

Steve, thank you for the information. I'm assuming the full wheel covers included in the kit will be the AWD style, seen in the first photo? Or will they be the 5 spoke design seen on the second?

2ea5b641bea7adba74b16b87ce83fce7.jpg.171724ba42c7de1068da267bf99236ef.jpg.4bcf2618fd1ef19219912909875c1568.jpg

The optional Street appearance wheels match this car as well as the optional lightbar although it's not molded in color.

-Steve  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

No the "Polar Bears" are low profile traffic and Commericial Vehicle Enforcement units, so they don't have roof lights or the big ram bar...mostly...because if you did around you can find white Chargers with the ram bar set ups as well.

Correct. They are commercial enforcement units.  Ever try to push a semi off the highway with a Setina on a Charger?

11 hours ago, Danno said:

Correct. They are commercial enforcement units.  Ever try to push a semi off the highway with a Setina on a Charger?

I'll wait while you try and push a semi off the road with any passenger vehicle. But there are more Polar Bears with a ram bar than without...

2023-10-16_08-01-10.jpg.0266257f729685dd6783ae114c7850cb.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Now that it's been announced, can we get any details on the 64 Chevelle. Separate hood is noted somewhere, how about clear headlight and taillight lenses? Anything else.

And I'm assuming the Warlock was the hinted at MPC announcement?

Yes, the Dodge Warlock was the hinted at announcement.  The '64 Chevelle Malibu SS is similar in content to the recent '65 GTO but with even more separate parts.  Clear headlamps, turn and backup lamps.  Grille and front bumper separated. Choice of tri-bar or wire hubcaps with spinners. Separate firewall and radiator support.  

-Steve

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

Yes, the Dodge Warlock was the hinted at announcement.  The '64 Chevelle Malibu SS is similar in content to the recent '65 GTO but with even more separate parts.  Clear headlamps, turn and backup lamps.  Grille and front bumper separated. Choice of tri-bar or wire hubcaps with spinners. Separate firewall and radiator support.  

-Steve

It looks like the rear cove trim is a separate part too.

On the Law Enforcement Charger. I have seen a few different types of front push bars used. Many in this area has a unit much like an Off-Road vehicle might have. The bar looks to be designed to protect the leading edge of the front fenders as well as the headlights. This design looks as if it would offer better protection for the cruiser doing a PIT maneuver on a Perp. The '64 Chevelle looks like a reissue of what was called the Craftsman Series by AMT. At that time the hood was molded shut and minimal chassis detailing. The proportions and the interior had good proportions. Look as if Round 2 is reissuing this in much the same way they have done with the Chevy Nova Wagon. They may issue it later with an engine, but with the hood already open it wouldn't be hard to find a small block in your stash somewhere. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 10:30 AM, Motor City said:

It sounds like I should toss out my '64 Chevelle SS friction promo!

Let me get under your window first! :D

On 10/16/2023 at 8:53 AM, SteveG said:

Clear headlamps, turn and backup lamps.  Grille and front bumper separated. Choice of tri-bar or wire hubcaps with spinners. Separate firewall and radiator support.  

-Steve

Good to hear! I had to make a mold from the rear panel, and cast it in clear resin to get backup lenses. Got the engine and underhood stuff from the wagon and El Camino.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 10:53 AM, SteveG said:

-Steve

First off, the 64 Malibu was a great surprise and it really looks great! Were you able to re-use any tooling from the 64 Cutlass like the chassis or glass?

Second I was watching "Scale Model Experiment" yesterday and while you were showing the 64 Malibu concept. All I could think of was Waylon Jennings (Dukes of Hazzard theme song reference: "Always showing my hands but not my face on TV"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carmak said:

First off, the 64 Malibu was a great surprise and it really looks great! Were you able to re-use any tooling from the 64 Cutlass like the chassis or glass?

Second I was watching "Scale Model Experiment" yesterday and while you were showing the 64 Malibu concept. All I could think of was Waylon Jennings (Dukes of Hazzard theme song reference: "Always showing my hands but not my face on TV"

The 64 Malibu is all fresh tooling, shares no parts other than the tires from the '65 GTO Hardtop as both are from the same design team so it should be a very easy build. 

-Steve

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, mangodart said:

I notice that the engine bay has been improved compared to the original MPC issue of the Demon, is there other improvement ( interior, chassis... ) ? :)

Most of the changes were concentrated on improving the body where the original MPC design fell short.  However, there other improvements besides the engine bay, like the front exhaust pipes are now separate parts, added inside and outside mirrors, clear headlamp and backup lenses. The interior is relatively unchanged except for seat backs and steering column molded separately, Other modern touches include pad printed white letter tires and an expanded decal sheet. 

I have to give a shout-out to Sean Svendsen for his beautiful new vintage style illustrations used on the box art to complete the period look we were after. 

-Steve

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2