Model Cars Magazine Forum

1977 Dodge 4x4 warlock

mk11

This is the one I expected when Steve G. said there would be a kit not seen since the late '70s. 

I wonder if they're going to run with the chrome wheels or do them separate, molded in gold plastic like the original? 

, , And I do hope they do the decals in metallic gold with the custom hood decal that was in the original.

But, of course, I don't need another myself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Can-Con said:

This is the one I expected when Steve G. said there would be a kit not seen since the late '70s. 

I wonder if they're going to run with the chrome wheels or do them separate, molded in gold plastic like the original? 

, , And I do hope they do the decals in metallic gold with the custom hood decal that was in the original.

Wheels will not be chromed in productions, wheels will be separately molded in gold like the original kit, the rest will be molded white.  Decals will be Metallic gold and expanded from the original. 

-Steve

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, SteveG said:

Wheels will not be chromed in productions, wheels will be separately molded in gold like the original kit, the rest will be molded white.  Decals will be Metallic gold and expanded from the original. 

-Steve

I'd normally just give that a "like" Steve but I no longer can so I'll just say,, 👍👍👍

5 hours ago, slusher said:

Oh man I am looking forward to get one of the Worlocks!  Did Chrysler do a few in dark green if I remember correctly? I do remember the Dodge slogan from the 80’s.  The Dodge boys have more fun…

Yep..found a pic of one.   I love those '70s Dodge pickups..learned to drive in the mid 80s in a silver green '79 Power Wagon shortbed my Dad had..

image.jpg-2.webp

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 3

On 10/14/2023 at 2:27 PM, Can-Con said:

It's never a question of "need" though, is it?

15 hours ago, slusher said:

Oh man I am looking forward to get one of the Worlocks!  Did Chrysler do a few in dark green if I remember correctly? I do remember the Dodge slogan from the 80’s.  The Dodge boys have more fun…

Carl, they did.

In '77 they came in black metallic, green metallic and bright red. In '78 they added citron green metallic and sunrise orange.

I think the '78 black was a solid, not metallic like '77 but I'm not sure.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jim B said:

So, what's the difference between the Warlock & the Midnite Express?  Are they actually the same thing?

Not at all the same. The Midnight Express was very similar to the LRT but with a hi output 400 instead of the 360,IIRC and there were only about 200 made.

The Warlock was a much more common package available with any engine including the slant 6 and in 2WD and 4X4 drivetrain and in more colors. 

LOTS of potential with this release. Like has been said above- you can swap the 2wd & 4x4 drivetrains between the longbed and Warlock kits, and there were many special models and packages in ‘77 and ‘78. 

I would like to see some kind of modification to the cab casting where the grille mounts. It just sort of floats there and is very difficult to mount as it is currently. 

Otherwise, for the time (the longbed was originally released in 1971) this was a pretty good kit, and the details hold up. 

14 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Yep..found a pic of one.   I love those '70s Dodge pickups..learned to drive in the mid 80s in a silver green '79 Power Wagon shortbed my Dad had..

image.jpg-2.webp

Thanks Rob for finding a picture that’s the way I want to go with one..

11 hours ago, Can-Con said:

No, but as I've already built one, I doubt I'll be building another.

But I am glad to see it for everyone else who would want one.

IMG 1794

That's awesome! Unfortunately I missed that opportunity, so I'm pretty excited about this news. Until now, I was planning on building my own (one day, Lol) but I'm happy to wait for this one!