Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1961 Ford Galaxie hardtop, any news?

PintoKING

On 11/17/2023 at 9:22 AM, SteveG said:

AMT originally made three different Full size 1961 Ford kits, a Sunliner Convertible, Starliner Hardtop, both with engines and the curbside Club Victoria we still have today.  I believe the first two were updated with the next round of annual kits into the 1962 Galaxies.  The Starliner is the hardest one to find.  

I don't see us modifying the '61 Club Victoria kit into an opening hood with engine kit, the pending release is unchanged parts wise.  On paper, we could modify the '60 Starliner into a '61 carrying over a lot of parts, but as pointed out modifying the Mueller era kits are difficult. 

It would be easier to clone one of the annual Ford kits we no longer have, but which one?   The '67 seems to have the most requests, I like the '62 annual, and the '61 Starliner is pretty cool.  I may only get one shot at bringing back a full-size Ford kit in the future, so I'm going to have to give this further thought. 

-Steve

I'm curious, what makes modifications to the Mueller-era kits difficult? I was under the impression that they're on the newer modular-style tooling that, at least in theory talking to a few mould engineers, should make adding/subtracting cavities an easier job than the older-style tools.

Charlie Larkin

I lucked out at NNL-East this year, and snagged a clean, unpainted built-up '61 Starliner. Thinking Chesapeake Blue. Where the 1960 interior is almost identical, I might also grab an extra '60, and stuff the underpinnings, under the body.

But, a re-created 1961 Starliner would be nice. The '61 kit is actually pretty nice, I grabbed an extra '57 Thunderbird engine off eBay for a Y-Block with a single intake instead of the tri-power that was on my built kit; I'll probably make a display with the original engine to keep with the kit. I have to get a good look at the interior of the Starliner to see if it's the same 4-door interior in the Victoria. If it is, I might see about modifying the '60 interior side-panels to fit the rest of the tub.

On the subject of re-created or additional tooling options, I would honestly welcome the 1962, 1967 and 1968 models, and would most likely buy one of each, possibly more, depending on what catches my fancy, and what the resin folks come up with for different body styles.

Charlie Larkin

• Like 2

On 11/17/2023 at 9:22 AM, SteveG said:

It would be easier to clone one of the annual Ford kits we no longer have, but which one?   The '67 seems to have the most requests, I like the '62 annual, and the '61 Starliner is pretty cool.  I may only get one shot at bringing back a full-size Ford kit in the future, so I'm going to have to give this further thought. 

-Steve

If you do a '62, you should make it an XL.  The '67 XL was still available with the 7-Litre option.  The only one I ever saw was a real rusty one in Dearborn years later.  I would also try to do a '70 XL GT kit.

On 12/10/2023 at 11:46 PM, charlie8575 said:

I'm curious, what makes modifications to the Mueller-era kits difficult? I was under the impression that they're on the newer modular-style tooling that, at least in theory talking to a few mould engineers, should make adding/subtracting cavities an easier job than the older-style tools.

Charlie Larkin

Nothing AMT/Ertl did prior to "the end" (being bought out by Racing Champions) was ever in CAD/CAM form, which means any modifications to Mueller-Era kits have to be done the same old fashioned way you would if you were modifying any other old piece of tooling. It can be done, but it involves a lot of fiddle-farting around making the new stuff fit the old kits as seen in the travails of the Full Bumper 70.5 Camaro and make the sedan pieces for the 67 Impala. Or going back further, making the new stock front end for the Gremlin. 

On 11/22/2023 at 9:06 AM, dino246gt said:

That Starliner kit can be used under many '61, '62, '63, '64 Fords and Mercs.

First fit the underhood stuff, cut the floor out of the interior and use the Starliner chassis.

You can also "harvest" the door pulls and window cranks!

You'll end up with 3 main components, the Starliner frame, floor pan, and your body of choice!

Adds nice detail to some simple kits!

Cheers!

P1000296A.jpg

P1000279.JPG

111.JPG

P1000520AJPG.JPG

P1000436 (Large).JPG

IMG_4452.JPG

P1010258 (Large).JPG

Thank you Sir, for sharing this I will remember this!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

So does anyone make photoetch or 3D printed Starliner scripts for the '61?

Not specifically that I know of but MCG makes a set for the '60 that has the script along with a lot of other stuff that could be used on a '61.

image.png.5c9c19459481396d770f904ce49890e2.png

• Like 1

As a native Dearbornite, Ford brat and lifelong big car fan, Galaxie love is forever, but splits into two camps, pre- and post-'64.

For the former, my chips are on the '61 Starliner all the way, assuming the '65 GTO / '64 Malibu style re-release engineering would carry forward. Bashes with every single pre-64 in the lineup (Mod Stock and Craftsman '64; Marauder, '63 XL, new tool '60), so one can sell the others, depending on what your specific kink such asGN/Permatex, drags, restomod, rivet-counter, etc.

Calling anything a slam dunk is premature, but if my employment was on the line, that would be my unhesitating recommendation. 

Post-64, I'd need a few shells at Miller's to pick between '67 and '68. I have a ton of heart for both, they look great on the shelf. Tilting to '67, simply because of the GN box art and the custom version which is likely what Mike Alexander wanted to build while customizing show cars for Ford. It really fulfills the brief of the "Interceptor" show car, taking it the next logical step.

That said, having recently scored a perfect sealed '68, if history is any guide, that will be announced in January. #fml

• Like 3

On 12/12/2023 at 6:56 PM, niteowl7710 said:

Nothing AMT/Ertl did prior to "the end" (being bought out by Racing Champions) was ever in CAD/CAM form, which means any modifications to Mueller-Era kits have to be done the same old fashioned way you would if you were modifying any other old piece of tooling. 

They weren't doing new tooling w/ CAD/CAM in the 90s?  Still stuck in the 60s?  That's crazy...

Edited by Rob Hall

15 hours ago, Ragtop Man said:

As a native Dearbornite, Ford brat and lifelong big car fan, Galaxie love is forever, but splits into two camps, pre- and post-'64.

Post-64, I'd need a few shells at Miller's to pick between '67 and '68.

Miller's Bar in Dearborn? Really enjoyed their simple burgers! Used to eat there every time I went to the Ford Archives researching "stuff". 

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 1:00 PM, Can-Con said:

Not specifically that I know of but MCG makes a set for the '60 that has the script along with a lot of other stuff that could be used on a '61.

Unfortunately the Starliner script for '61 was different from '60. An MCG photoetch set for the '61 Ford would be great - I'd be in for three of 'em.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

They weren't doing new tooling w/ CAD/CAM in the 90s?  Still stuck in the 60s?  That's crazy...

There may have been some CAD/CAM used, I doubt I'll ever know for sure.  All Round 2 acquired was the tooling, none of the original design files, if there was any.   I doubt anyone even thought to ask back then.  They probably never dreamed that they would modifying or expanding the existing tooling so many years later. 

-Steve   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SteveG said:

There may have been some CAD/CAM used, I doubt I'll ever know for sure.  All Round 2 acquired was the tooling, none of the original design files, if there was any.   I doubt anyone even thought to ask back then.  They probably never dreamed that they would modifying or expanding the existing tooling so many years later. 

-Steve   

I have yet to see any paper designs for model kits. I would imagine it was all done via paper and pencil 40-60 years ago. I worked almost 40 years in manufacturing, lots in fab parts. From paper to CAD/CAM.

We kept "methods masters" on everything, until people got too lazy and storage space was a concern. I did maintain electronic history on a departmental hard drive.in later years.

Each folder had a history on the part, revision status, tooling, NC programs, etc. I would imagine that the model makers did the same thing. I doubt any of that followed it over to China. Hence we have seen all new tooling on the recently Time Machine Chevelle. All CAD/CAM without a doubt.

• 1 month later...