Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is the best glue for glass/clear surfaces?

AlbertS

I've used two-part epoxy successfully by first coating the surface that the glass sits on and in modest amounts.  Let it sit until it gets tacky and then press the glass in place.  I've also used Gorilla clear in some cases.  It takes a while to set up but it does not affect the glass and dries perfectly clear.  In any case, whatever glue you end up with use it sparingly and only in sufficient quantity to hold the glass in position.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yh70 said:

this is what i use. or you can also use Elmer's glue all.(used it for years)...if you get any on the clear part, a wet brush in warm water will take it right off..tes281217.jpg.c3557e6a3df43e0e9274baeccfe5d041.jpg

This is my go to as well. I also use it to fill in the gaps between chrome bumpers and the body. It draws in the color form both parts and visually narrows the unsightly gaps.

• Like 1

CA glue will fog clear and chrome, so that is out. Now all I use is 2-part 5-minute epoxy, wait until it thickens up so it won't run where you don't want it.

Lately I have made up mounting tabs so the glass will "nest" in place and won't move around. I will use little strips of tape to hold the glass. Apply a few dabs of epoxy and remove the tape later on.

19 minutes ago, oldnslow said:

I use clear fingernail polish , dries clear and gives you a moment to adjust the part .

Tamiya X22 clear is good for general headlight installation and dries... clear. I have to try the clear nail polish. I know some of them dry quickly.

• 1 month later...

I use Micoscale Krystal Clear.  I've been using it for window glass and lenses for about 10 years with great success.  i would be interested in hearing any negative comments about the stuff.   So far i have not found any downside. 

Also  how does it compare to Evergreen Canopy Glue?   Ive never tried the evergreen, but interested in comments 

GS Hypo Cement is VERY good!  What I like about it is the pinpoint applicator on the tube and the cap has a needle to keep the tube from clogging up.  Strong stuff too.  Once dry, parts won't pop off if you flex the plastic to it's limit.  Does not fog up either and can be painted over or use a marker like a Sharpie Industrial Black marker.

I have also used Elmer's white and clear glue, Modge-Podge, evergreen and so forth.  I swear that Evergreen is just Elmer's White glue but that is just my opinion.  Essentially, I've found any Non-solvent or Non CA glues that dry clear work well for clear plastic.

On 1/2/2024 at 12:45 PM, BDSchindler said:

GS Hypo Cement is VERY good!

Thanks for the tip on this, I just ordered a tube in FleaBay. I have been using E6000 for glass and when parts need to be 'nudged' into place. What I don't like about E6000 is that it's very stringy and if I'm not careful it will drape a gooey thread across the parts... -RRR

On 1/2/2024 at 12:45 PM, BDSchindler said:

GS Hypo Cement is VERY good!

Thanks for the tip on this, I just ordered a tube in FleaBay. I have been using E6000 for glass and when parts need to be 'nudged' into place. What I don't like about E6000 is that it's very stringy and if I'm not careful it will drape a gooey thread across the parts... -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat
so nice it came up twice!!! c(???)

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got this from Amazon. I think it's pretty similar to the GS Hypo Cement. What I don't like about the GS Hypo Cement is the metal tube. Give it a little squeeze and it just keeps on squeezing out of the tube. This tube is plastic and doesn't keep pushing the glue out. It also has a little pin applicator in the cap just like the GS Hypo Cement. It's also a lot bigger tube. It says "Super Glue" but it's not a cyanoacrylate which is usually called a Super Glue. And for $10 you get 4.76 oz.

image.png.c86863376b3254b85e9336762f00f557.png

Edited by Mike C