Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chili Recipes?

JollySipper

Hey, guys! It's obviously the time of year for things like soups, stews, and chili! I love me some chili, but my tired old recipe is kinda boring....... I just use a pound of ground beef seasoned with season salt, a can of Chili Magic, and a can of RoTel. Usually I eat it with corn chips, maybe some sour cream, and sometimes cheese. I'm posting this in hopes you guys will pass down some ideas for a better and more interesting chili. I know a lot of guys would rather not tell your secret ingredients, but those who don't mind........... What do you put in your chili?

I use McCormick Chili mix.  You can get hot or mild. Your taste for that pick.  1 to 3 pounds of beef, Tri blend of beans if making a large batch 1 can or dark, light and black beans. For every pound of beef, I use i can of beans.  I blended onion, 1 can of diced and 1 can of puree tomatoes. 2 or 3 Hungarian hot peppers per pound of meat, with seeds and a lot of the membrane removed, but not all. finely chopped or blended along with the onion. A Hotter pepper if you like it hot. 

TJ have you ever tried chili poured over pasta or flat egg noodles? They call it chili mac here. 

TJ, my go to chili recipe is from Pierre Franey. Years back, he used to write a recipe column for The New York Times.

https://www.pierrefraney.com/recipes/pork_and_ham/chili_a_la_franey.html

Also, Andy, Cincinnati Chili is a tasty spaghetti dish. Cincinnati's signature food (think: Philadelphia Cheese Steak).

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/206953/authentic-cincinnati-chili/

I have several ways of making chili. all start with 3 Ibs of ground beef! I add Chili powder to the beef while browning it along with chopped onion. Sometimes I'll add Diced bell peppers. 1 can chili beans either hot or mild, 1 can black beans, 1 can light red kidney beans, 1 can rotel, 1 can tomato sauce, and a small can of tomato paste, and 28 Oz of water. add more chili powder to taste while cooking. For a spicy chili get the jalapeno hamburger patties from Kroger and fore go chili powder unless your can eat it  Spicy HOT!!!!

I agree with the three bean mix, the variety is nice. I also add a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes and a can of stewed tomatoes. My wife likes corn in it too. 

For a side try this. You'll need two packs of Martha White Mexican corn bread, two eggs, 1 tube of Jimmy Dean hot breakfast sausage, a can of Delmonte Southwest corn, and an onion.

I make this in a 10 or 12 inch cast iron pan. Grease the pan with Crisco and if you have parchment paper cut a disc the size of the bottom of the pan to help the cornbread not stick, put the pan in the oven at 350 to preheat.

While the pan is preheating start browning the sausage, chop until you've got semi fine pieces. Once you get the sausage going start mixing the cornbread in a large mixing bowl. Add the two eggs and however much milk the package calls for, I think it's 2/3 cups per package. Mix well then drain the can of Southwest and add it and dice the onion and add it. Once the sausage is fully browned use a slotted spoon to scoop it into the cornbread mix, the idea is to not get all the sausage grease in the cornbread mix. Give the batter one more good stir and pour it in the preheated pan. Bake at 350 and start checking on it at 25 minutes. The exact cook time depends of the size of the pan.

Once it's done top with butter and Texas Pete to taste. I love this stuff and make it every chance I get, it goes well with Jambalaya and red beans and rice too.

I worked at Wendy's for a few years, you really don't wanna know how they make their Chili! My first job I ever had was working at a L&K Restarunt. Started out as a dish washer, and ended up being a cook. So I also made L&K Chili before they went to premade..

I just make it up as i go, but one thing i add that i haven't seen mentioned yet is a half a teaspoon of instant coffee powder. It gives it a smokey taste if you like that sorta thing. I dont think I've ever made it froma packet but i have used canned chopped tomatoes with chilli added. I've seen adding diced bacon too but you have to be sure its not a salty one or it turns the chilli bad

I rarely make it the same way twice. Last time was 1.5 pounds of cubed pork loin, browned in olive oil.

No beans.

Add a huge chopped red onion, several cloves of garlic, smashed. Let that cook a few minutes to season the meat.

Then add one can of beef broth and a 7 oz. can of chipotles in adobo sauce 

image.jpeg.962e45418df9510154a77e9407a617d3.jpeg(warning: to most folks, it's pretty hot).

Add a little water to keep things from burning, simmer for at least an hour, stirring every few minutes.

Close to the end, stir in about a tablespoon of maple syrple for just a little sweetening (a little semi-sweet chocolate or day-old coffee can make the flavor more interesting too).

When the sauce has reduced to the consistency you want, it's ready.

Nuclear-hot heaven, served with warm flour tortillas, guac, and sour cream on the side. Great with hot homemade cornbread or a buttered baked potato too.  B)

NOTE: If you live somewhere the stores have a selection of dried peppers, you have more interesting options.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

70/30 Ground beef , a can of chili hot beans 2 cans dark red kidney beans, salt, pepper, green peppers, large can of diced tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, chili powder and a little cayenne pepper.

We start browning the ground beef add onions, chopped green pepper, salt, pepper, chili powder cooked until the onions get translucent then add all the rest into the pot add more chili powder and the cayenne pepper to taste. Cook on low heat for a couple for about an hour.

My recipe, tinkered with over many years. Brown 2lb lean ground beef and one diced large yellow onion. Add 2 jalapenos, 2 red chili peppers and 2 poblano chilis (all seeded and cored) finely chopped in the food processor. Next add 4 tablespoons chili powder, a tablespoon of cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (optional). Saute for a minute or so. Add a can of fire-roasted tomatoes, a small can of tomato sauce and a bottle of beer... preferably a little dark and not too hoppy. I like Bell's Amber Ale. Add salt to taste and let the chili simmer, uncovered, for an hour or so, stirring periodically. Add a can of black beans and a can of kidney beans rinsed and drained (also optional) and let simmer for another 15 minutes. 

I use the Shelby or a 6-Gun kit, but have the spices. I have to give them a go.

What I use for a double batch, in an 8 quart pot (using 2 of the above kits).

An entire bulb of garlic, pressed so it dissolves well.

The biggest yellow onion you can find or 2 smaller ones, chopped.

2 bell peppers, any color, chopped.

5 or 6 chopped japalenos or 3 to 4 serranos, chopped.

Chopped stalks of celery, eyeball it. I use around 3 or 4.

3 to 4 lbs of cooked sausage, chorizo, ground beef, pork and or turkey. I cook it about 75% of the way. I used some canned chicken from BJs on my last batch, it was good.

Dried oregano and basil, of course a bay leaf.

1 can of 28 oz crushed tomatoes (same for single of double batch). Sometimes I add a 15 oz can of diced for larger batches.

2 cups of some sort of broth, Better Than Bouillon is pretty good. So is bone broth.

1 or 2 packets of Goya Sazon seasoning.

1 can of any type of beer. I'll have to try a dark beer next. Some add a cup of strong black coffee.

That is about it. I saute the chopped vegetables in olive oil for about 5 minutes. Then add everything else. I add cayenne pepper as I go, sometimes it comes out scorching hot. I get to the point where I have to give out samples as I cannot gauge how hot it is.

Lastly, if you want to add beans, do it at about the last 20 minutes. This is where the flour packet goes in. I use Goya beans, white, pinto, black, red and pink. Usually I use 3 or 4 15 oz cans.

• 3 weeks later...

Last weekend's batch was different, but still something that could have been cooked up on the chuckwagon on the trail with whatever was on hand, which, after all, was pretty much the point of chili.

1.5 pounds chuck roast, cubed and browned

One big red onion, chopped and cooked down to translucent w/ meat

1/2 cup old cold coffee

1 can beef broth

2 tblsp minced garlic

One medium potato, cubed. Add another one if you want to get more yield. The peppers are hot, and go a long way.

8.1 oz jar of diced chipotles   image.jpeg.86b3e352f2eef7ebbed8eeeb983ebd78.jpeg   If you know how to use dried peppers, so much the better
15.5 oz. can of black beans          image.jpeg.a6527274d9e9cd9bd3f75bceb445efba.jpegMore if you want to stretch it, or take some of the heat out.

2 tblsp raspberry jam (or just about anything sweet; I had that much jam that needed to be used up)

Bring everything to a boil, turn down heat and simmer one hour after last ingredient.

I served this over penne pasta, with grated cheddar on top. Crumbled Feta is good too, and fresh cilantro.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy