Model Cars Magazine Forum

The model car mob

7 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

The whiner.

The guy who constantly whines about prices, but at the same time demands the most intricately detailed kits ever produced.

Steve

Ha!  So correct

2 hours ago, atomicholiday said:

The rivet counter…

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

The whiner.

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

the ooh squirrel

We have these three here for sure, as well as all of those in the magazine article above!

I consider myself a squirrel. 100%

🤪

31 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I suppose I would have to call myself one of these.......at least currently. ;)

Steve

One of the great things about this hobby is that there is no right or wrong way to build.   And there's room for all types of builders.

Realistically,  we probably all have a little of each one of the above types in us.

Actually if you think about it,  how boring would it be if we all did our builds the same way. 

Edited by atomicholiday
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Chuckyg1 said:

This is from the December 1962 issue of Car Craft magazine. Thought you'd all get a laugh out of this. What other mob members can we add 62 year later?20231101_113827.thumb.jpg.3328a804da5053b49e43bd0c05fb6e2a.jpg20231101_113854.thumb.jpg.01c91f059522dbae6f2c2567a2b3da26.jpg20231101_113907.thumb.jpg.4b1e763e211c5a10ccea4c21904683cf.jpg

I can see a little bit of myself in each character, some more than others. I think many here would fit in the same way. Thanks for the laugh. 

2 hours ago, stitchdup said:

the ooh squirrel, has almost as many projects as kits but bounces from one project to the other at random but rarely finishes anything

(edit this may be me)

Heyyyy!!!…. I resemble that remark! 😂🤣

52 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Nothing at all wrong with being a rivet counter, just so long as you don't insist that everyone else has to be one.

I agree.

But it works both ways.

I won't insist that others have to be one, if they don't dis those of us that are one.

The term "Rivet Counter" is a negative term just by it's nature, and over the years it has become something viewed as an "undesirable" trait, and there are plenty out there that will use it as such in their conversations.

I suppose that we, as "rivet counters" could come up with a derogatory term for people that don't do things as we like to do them, but I don't think that it would be particularly appropriate.

Steve 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I suppose that we, as "rivet counters" could come up with a derogatory term for people that don't do things as we like to do them, but I don't think that it would be particularly appropriate.

Steve 

nails? does almost the same job as a rivet but needs to be hit with a hammer first, lol

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I agree.

But it works both ways.

I won't insist that others have to be one, if they don't dis those of us that are one.

The term "Rivet Counter" is a negative term just by it's nature, and over the years it has become something viewed as an "undesirable" trait, and there are plenty out there that will use it as such in their conversations.

Steve 

No disrespect intended Steve.  I don’t see it as a negative trait at all.  Just a different perspective.

Just now, atomicholiday said:

No disrespect intended Steve.  I don’t see it as a negative trait at all.  Just a different perspective.

I agree Jeremy, and I didn't take it as disrespectful at all.

Just wanted to offer my perspective of the whole "rivet counter" connotation.

Steve

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I agree.

But it works both ways.

Steve 

Oh, I have no use for those people.  You don't have to time or desire to build a microscopically detailed masterpiece every time, that is perfectly reasonable, but there is something deeply wrong when someone whines that such gems are bad because their existence somehow makes that person feel sad and inadequate about their own efforts.  Some modelers are better than others, and no matter how good you are, there is someone who will blow you out of the water, but it would be a sad and miserable world if we start dragging everyone down to the same level because a few sad people can't handle that.

• Like 3

• Xingu locked this topic