Model Cars Magazine Forum

A question for Mr. Goldman - Re Round 2

iwantmodels

16 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Great News, Steve.

What about the '32 Coupe/Roadster.

Most recent copy of the Roadster I have is the Millennium Edition with the extra parts added back in.

But that's been 24 Years (gulp). I still think of it as a New Kit.......

14 hours ago, 250 Testa Rossa said:

What about a '63/4 Riviera coming back?

I think we have the '32 Five window Coupe tool, not sure what the story is on the Roadster.  I need to research both of those further.   Both are prime to be run again. 

The earlier Rivieras would be nice to do but I'm not sure I could make a compelling argument for either back dating the '65 or creating a new tool.  

-Steve

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SteveG said:

I think we have the '32 Five window Coupe tool, not sure what the story is on the Roadster.  I need to research both of those further.   Both are prime to be run again.

-Steve

Indeed, they are. I'm sure that many new modelers have never seen these kits, and would be thrilled to get them.

I know that I'm in for a few just to get fresh tires and fresh decals.

Two kits that were originally released as promos and annuals (and I don't think have been seen since) are a 58 Ford Fairlane and a 59 Plymouth Fury. I think there would be tremendous demand for both as the old ones in any kind of rebuildable or nice condition bring very good money on eBay. Two others in that same category would be the 59 Buick and a 59 Dodge Coronet. My preference would be the 2 door hardtop for all mentioned. 

• Like 2

On 2/8/2024 at 10:05 PM, SteveG said:

We've never run the 32 Ford Phaeton version, but RC/Ertl did a few times so it's on my to do list.  Hopefully all the inserts are there for it. 

As for '32 Sedan from the double kit, we know what we're missing, and we have the original parts for cloning.   I'm hoping for budget approval to move ahead.  It's come up before but has been bumped for other hot projects.  Fingers crossed .... 

Given the interchangeability of parts between AMT's range of 1932 Ford kits, has it ever been considered tooling up an improved "universal" dropped front axle assembly for these kits? 

Of course the early sixties' kit design, namely the solid metal axle construction, has its limitations but the ability to achieve a proper suspension rake without major surgery involved would greatly increase the appeal of these vintage kits to Hot Rod builders.

On the subject of rake, the bias-ply tires currently included in most kits look oversized as front tires on a vintage Hot Rod. A matching set of vintage "Big'n little" bias-ply tires would be a very welcome addition to Round2's range of newly tooled tires, and breathe new life into many of your classic models! 

• Like 2

The Fury and Coronet were Jo-Han models.  It would be nice to clone some of the early AMT kits such as the Fairlane 500, Thunderbird, Park Lane, Lincoln, Roadmaster and Invicta, Bonneville, '59 and '60 Impala and '60 El Camino.  I think Round2 wants to concentrate on fixing the existing tooling first and see how well that goes before venturing into the earlier era.     

On 2/12/2024 at 6:09 AM, Chris V said:

Given the interchangeability of parts between AMT's range of 1932 Ford kits, has it ever been considered tooling up an improved "universal" dropped front axle assembly for these kits? 

Of course the early sixties' kit design, namely the solid metal axle construction, has its limitations but the ability to achieve a proper suspension rake without major surgery involved would greatly increase the appeal of these vintage kits to Hot Rod builders.

On the subject of rake, the bias-ply tires currently included in most kits look oversized as front tires on a vintage Hot Rod. A matching set of vintage "Big'n little" bias-ply tires would be a very welcome addition to Round2's range of newly tooled tires, and breathe new life into many of your classic models! 

You took the words right out of my mouth. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 2:15 PM, SteveG said:

The earlier Rivieras would be nice to do but I'm not sure I could make a compelling argument for either back dating the '65 or creating a new tool.  

-Steve

there is an unbuilt 32 roadster kit I saw in Catnip Antique mall in Simpsonville SC for $30. windshield is toast, but the rest is nice...

On 2/12/2024 at 5:09 AM, Chris V said:

Great idea, and the tires could also be offered as a parts pack to generate further revenue off the tooling, like the gasser wheel/tire pack.

Edited by Mr. Metallic
  • Like 3

On 2/12/2024 at 6:09 AM, Chris V said:

I'll third that!!!!! And as Mr. Metallic stated, a parts pack would be great. I am always looking for dropped axles.

• Like 1

Personally, I think the '65 is the best looking of the first gen Rivieras.  I'm probably dreaming, but if you could do an upgrade like AMT did on the '66 Riviera, that would be even better.

As far as part packs wheels, a see  of '30s vintage Kelsey Hayes wire wheels that would fit on the standard AMT tire would be so useful.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sledsel said:

I'll third that!!!!! And as Mr. Metallic stated, a parts pack would be great. I am always looking for dropped axles.

Obviously the kit supensions are designed very differently, and would require tooling up even more new parts, but If Round2 goes ahead and clone the AMT/MPC 1929 Ford Sedan (which was later modified into the 1928-29 Ford Pickup/Woodie) as suggested a couple of years ago, it would also be a prime candidate for a new lowered front axle option if new molds need to be tooled anyway.

9 hours ago, Chris V said:

Obviously the kit supensions are designed very differently, and would require tooling up even more new parts, but If Round2 goes ahead and clone the AMT/MPC 1929 Ford Sedan (which was later modified into the 1928-29 Ford Pickup/Woodie) as suggested a couple of years ago, it would also be a prime candidate for a new lowered front axle option if new molds need to be tooled anyway.

At least part of the 28 Model A sedan body tooling still exists, so the body won't need to be cloned. Like you say, that kit is another prime candidate for a dropped axle, which would more than likely also fit the 29 A Roadster, as well as the Woody/Pickup kit. Thankfully the most recent issue of that Woody/PU kit lost those atrocious knobby tires that Lesney AMT tooled up, and Ertl continued using for decades afterward. We are way overdue for some nice skinny, smaller diameter tires for the front ends on the street rod kits, along with taller tires for the rear.

• Like 8

On 2/25/2024 at 1:10 AM, Dave Darby said:

At least part of the 28 Model A sedan body tooling still exists, so the body won't need to be cloned. Like you say, that kit is another prime candidate for a dropped axle, which would more than likely also fit the 29 A Roadster, as well as the Woody/Pickup kit. Thankfully the most recent issue of that Woody/PU kit lost those atrocious knobby tires that Lesney AMT tooled up, and Ertl continued using for decades afterward. We are way overdue for some nice skinny, smaller diameter tires for the front ends on the street rod kits, along with taller tires for the rear.

I wholeheartedly agree!

The crudely detailed Lesney-era Goodyear "Rally Sport" tires gave the models an oddly inappropriate "Off-road" look.   

A properly detailed dropped I-beam front axle with split wishbones and set of newly tooled vintage bias-ply "Big'n littles" would add tremendous extra value to these classic pre-war Ford kits.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 3:08 AM, Chris V said:

I wholeheartedly agree!

The crudely detailed Lesney-era Goodyear "Rally Sport" tires gave the models an oddly inappropriate "Off-road" look.   

A properly detailed dropped I-beam front axle with split wishbones and set of newly tooled vintage bias-ply "Big'n littles" would add tremendous extra value to these classic pre-war Ford kits.

I agree, also!

Those "Rally Sport" tires are some of the worst ever put in a kit. The fact that they got used over & over with every release of the '29 RPU/Wagon was just bad planning.

I think the effort invested in a Dropped I-beam axle and split wishbones would be time and money well spent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hondamatic said:

@SteveG do you know if you guys have the Supervan mold? 

Are you asking about the Barris Super Van, we think we do although we haven't confirmed we have the clear parts.  It shares a number of parts with the IMC TTT and LRW Dodge A100 kits.  Don't know if we'll run it but it has come up for discussion recently. 

-Steve  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SteveG said:

Are you asking about the Barris Super Van, we think we do although we haven't confirmed we have the clear parts.  It shares a number of parts with the IMC TTT and LRW Dodge A100 kits.  Don't know if we'll run it but it has come up for discussion recently. 

-Steve  

Yes, I just received one from ebay yesterday and noticed a lot of shared parts. Its kind of a weird subject but I thought I'd ask. Resources would better be used to bring back the open road camper van or backdate the dodge one.. I would even take a "Krazy van" with the 82 body at this point 🤞

On 2/12/2024 at 11:09 AM, Chris V said:

I would have liked to see the front tyres from the original issue '40 Willys, '56 Ford and '55 Nomad reproduced - the ones Modelhaus knocked off as their T110.    Now I have a 3D printer, not so much of a concern, but it would still be nice to see them in a kit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dodgefever said:

I would have liked to see the front tyres from the original issue '40 Willys, '56 Ford and '55 Nomad reproduced - the ones Modelhaus knocked off as their T110.    Now I have a 3D printer, not so much of a concern, but it would still be nice to see them in a kit.

I one hundred percent agree. I built this one in 1992 as a concept to show the Ertl management (back when I built box art models for them) some ideas to breath new life into the kit. 

20190606_213556-vi.jpg

20190603_223309-vi.jpg

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

I one hundred percent agree. I built this one in 1992 as a concept to show the Ertl management (back when I built box art models for them) some ideas to breath new life into the kit. 

20190606_213556-vi.jpg

20190603_223309-vi.jpg

Your proof of concept makes an excellent point: A small additional universal chrome parts tree for the entire range of AMT '32 Fords could include the following parts:

* Dropped "I-beam" front axle

* Split wishbones 

* Dropped headlight bar 

* Optional '39 Ford "Teardrop" and '50 Pontiac taillights

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

20190606_213556-vi.jpg

20190603_223309-vi.jpg

Sharp Build, Dave.

Those tires are really sharp on that kit.

16 hours ago, Chris V said:

Your proof of concept makes an excellent point: A small additional universal chrome parts tree for the entire range of AMT '32 Fords could include the following parts:

* Dropped "I-beam" front axle

* Split wishbones 

* Dropped headlight bar 

* Optional '39 Ford "Teardrop" and '50 Pontiac taillights

AGREE 100%

• Like 3