Model Cars Magazine Forum

A question for Mr. Goldman - Re Round 2

iwantmodels

Mr. Goldman - I have a question on two models - the 1958 Plymouth Fury and the 1966 Buick Wildcat.  Is there any chance of Round 2 and you revising the 1958 Plymouth Belvedere Hardtop?   On the Plymouth, I wish someone would fix the side trim and bring it up to the AMT 1957 Chrysler 300 standards?  Perhaps decals replicating the interior seat inserts/dash gauges.  My other wish is Round 2 would invest in the 1966 Buick Wildcat.  This gorgeous kit is marred by the incorrect interior tub.  Perhaps providing decals that allow you to build the GS version.  You did such a great job with the 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T, 1966 Mustang and the GTO's - It would be nice to apply your magic to the Plymouth and the Buick.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, iwantmodels said:

Mr. Goldman - I have a question on two models - the 1958 Plymouth Fury and the 1966 Buick Wildcat.  Is there any chance of Round 2 and you revising the 1958 Plymouth Belvedere Hardtop?   On the Plymouth, I wish someone would fix the side trim and bring it up to the AMT 1957 Chrysler 300 standards?  Perhaps decals replicating the interior seat inserts/dash gauges.  My other wish is Round 2 would invest in the 1966 Buick Wildcat.  This gorgeous kit is marred by the incorrect interior tub.  Perhaps providing decals that allow you to build the GS version.  You did such a great job with the 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T, 1966 Mustang and the GTO's - It would be nice to apply your magic to the Plymouth and the Buick.  Thanks!

Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate all the support that I have received.  I'm well aware of the issues with the '58 Fury body trim and the wrong interior in the '66 Buick.  I wish I was the one who is writing the checks for these projects, but I'm not.   Both are kind of tough sell compared to bringing back an old favorite muscle car or creating a new tool item but never say never.

I have been able to fix a few things here and there when combined with a new release, for example I was able to get the nose area of the 70 Chevelle SS fixed recently as part of bringing out the John Wick version.  So, installing the front bumper, grille and headlamps into the body is no longer a fight.   Restoring all the chrome and gasser parts for the '55 Nomad was another one I managed to get support for, so there always chance for the others.  Expanded decals is my thing but I don't think we've done a whole lot of seat inserts or upholstery patterns so thanks for the suggestion. 

-Steve    

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SteveG said:

Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate all the support that I have received.  I'm well aware of the issues with the '58 Fury body trim and the wrong interior in the '66 Buick.  I wish I was the one who is writing the checks for these projects, but I'm not.   Both are kind of tough sell compared to bringing back an old favorite muscle car or creating a new tool item but never say never.

I have been able to fix a few things here and there when combined with a new release, for example I was able to get the nose area of the 70 Chevelle SS fixed recently as part of bringing out the John Wick version.  So, installing the front bumper, grille and headlamps into the body is no longer a fight.   Restoring all the chrome and gasser parts for the '55 Nomad was another one I managed to get support for, so there always chance for the others.  Expanded decals is my thing but I don't think we've done a whole lot of seat inserts or upholstery patterns so thanks for the suggestion. 

-Steve    

Hi Steve,

Creating the correct '66 Wildcat interior and cloning the '65 Wildcat body, grille, and both bumpers, should be bundled into one project.  It will result in two more excellent kits to sell.  You could also consider convertible versions of both.  After all, the '65 Wildcat was available as a convertible promo, too.  I think these were the best looking of GM's '65-'66 full-size lineup and I'm sure many others would agree.  It shouldn't be too tough of a sell.   

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SteveG said:

-Steve    

Do all of the suggested stuff to the '58 Plymouth please!

Everybody and their brother has a '58 Plymouth kit, probably several..

One with the trim issues corrected AND decals with seat inserts wouldn't be a hard sell at all, in my opinion..

I'd buy AT LEAST a case of em, and probably more!

Also, your '65 and '68 GTOs, '68 Coronet, newest release of the '70 Super Bee, and THE BLACK BEAUTY, are EXCELLENT and ON-POINT!

THANK YOU!

I can't wait to get my '71 Demon, '60 and, '63 Ford pickups!

Steve, Thanks for all you do and for listening to our suggestions. I have a suggestion on the 58 Belevedere, if Round 2 has plans in the future for improvements, it will be an opportunity to modify it as a 57 Fury since the guts are already tooled and the body will incur investment anyway. Also, please fix the 68 Road Runner taillights (clear lens and accurate) and that aweful grille...please if this has future re-issue plans, correcting the inaccuracies will be very well welcomed.

BTW, it's great that you are open to be part of this forum, keep up the great work.

Edited by BobbyG

On 11/9/2023 at 12:47 PM, chryslerjunkandstuff said:

Everybody and their brother has a '58 Plymouth kit, probably several..

This is one of the biggest reasons I can't imagine the '58 Plymouth honestly getting retooled. It sells incredibly well as-is to casual builders who just want to build "Christine" and wouldn't be aware of the kit's many flaws. I can genuinely say from behind the counter that it's a routine purchase in my shop for first-time modelers because of the movie tie in as opposed to any desire to build an accurate 1950's Chrysler product.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2023 at 5:00 PM, ranma said:

While some on here would like to see the '66 Buick, I myself would like to see The '66 Pontiac Bonneville, as well as the 68/69 Bonneville's and Chevrolet Impala's!

Personally, I think there is a very large market for a LOT of recreated and expanded tooling for mid-60's GM product nearly across the board, and I say this as primarily as a Ford fan. 

I think expanded tooling projects like cloning the 65 Wildcat body/chrome/specific parts, and making a proper 66 Wildcat interior do make sense for ROI as two versions can subsequently be released and improvements on the 66 kit would be greatly welcomed.

I'd love to see an expanded tooling project based on the AMT 65 2 + 2, where a Catalina 2-door post sedan body, bench seat interior, and chrome gets tooled up for it. So much of the model car industry is still geared to catering to flagship-type cars, and I think there exists a genuine need for some "strippers".

Maybe a sister kit of a 1965 Catalina 4 door "Enforcer" police package (pictured) would be a possibility, and would share some tooling. 

A cloned Craftsman 64 Corvair Monza Spyder is sorely needed, as is the 62 Buick Special Wagon

The 66 Bonneville, as previously stated is also a natural for a cloning project.  

Pontiac 1965 Police2.jpg

Edited by garagepunk66
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I see a lot of good ideas here.

The idea of a dual project '66 Wildcat revamp/new '65 parts, while utilizing virtually all existing tooling seems like a very smart idea. It would cut costs substantially and probably add more than a few sales.

A clone/upgrade of MPC's 1966 Bonneville (how about the full-size 1965-'66 Dodges, too?) seems like a no-brainer. I rather like the idea of adding a Catalina Enforcer, with parts to build a civilian car, as well.

The 1957 Fury is a natural. And yes, adding seat pattern decals (in different, correct colors, or as a transparent overlay) for the '58 is a great idea. I would also like to see the trim fixed, along with others.

First-generation Corvairs would be cool, too. The 1961-'62 Buick Special wagon would be nice. How about this time around with an opening hood and  the Fireball aluminum V-8 for the '61, or do something completely out of left field, and make the '62 with the new-for-'62 V-6?

Charlie Larkin

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 12:00 AM, ranma said:

While some on here would like to see the '66 Buick, I myself would like to see The '66 Pontiac Bonneville, as well as the 68/69 Bonneville's and Chevrolet Impala's!

Although I have two annuals, I would love an all-new cloned with improvements Bonnie, both in hard-as ragtop, but then there is still the Hasegawa thingy, which can be re-popped any time, tho it never will have to cool sixties spy/secret agent goodies the original Mpc kit had.

image.thumb.png.b128dceeac7c2ac832146fb66b52b2ba.png

Edited by Luc Janssens
Added photo..m
  • Like 2

On 11/8/2023 at 4:47 PM, SteveG said:

-Steve    

The ‘72 Chevelle based on the MPC tooling would be great to have again.  I’m guessing the tooling is long ago missing or damaged since we haven’t seen that one since the mid ‘80’s.  

The MPC Pro Street Camaro Z28 would be great to have again as well.  However, since we haven’t seen that one yet, I’m guessing the body tooling is damaged.  That’s a shame because it would be very easy to convert it to a stock late ‘70’s early ‘80’s Camaro Z28 if you can find the original annual 1981 cowl induction hood insert.  If not, then you could still do a stock ‘78-‘79 Camaro Z28 with it.  That would compete very favorably with the current though inaccurate in wheel well shape Revell reissue.  

Edited by mikos

18 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

SteveG, any chance we'll see the All Stars/Scale Stars 1/32 '40 Ford sedan?

8 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

Steve G any chance we can see any show rods next year ? Like the ZZR spy car  or back date the '71 Plymouth Duster to a '70 Duster 340 ?

I've tried a few times to get some of the small-scale kits reissued but either the tooling was missing, or they never made the approval list, still never say never. 

As for the ZZR Spy Rod I'm pretty sure that it was altered to make the Fire Bug Show Rod, I'd have to check with John G. on how much tooling remains for it if any. 

I'm certainly a fan of creating a '70 Duster version based on the modern '71 kit.   I built my own almost 20 years ago back when I was doing some resin casting using one of my resin grille inserts and a set of The Last Detail decal sets.  I have floated the idea several times already, I'm hoping it will make the project list sooner than later.    

spacer.png 

-Steve

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SteveG said:

I've tried a few times to get some of the small-scale kits reissued but either the tooling was missing, or they never made the approval list, still never say never. 

As for the ZZR Spy Rod I'm pretty sure that it was altered to make the Fire Bug Show Rod, I'd have to check with John G. on how much tooling remains for it if any. 

I'm certainly a fan of creating a '70 Duster version based on the modern '71 kit.   I built my own almost 20 years ago back when I was doing some resin casting using one of my resin grille inserts and a set of The Last Detail decal sets.  I have floated the idea several times already, I'm hoping it will make the project list sooner than later.    

spacer.png 

-Steve

Thank you Steve ! nice Duster 340 .

I realize this is a snowballs chance in hell but, will there ever be any newer pontiac stuff? 3rd and 4th gen tran ams, G8 GXP, Solstice GXP, 97-02 grand prix coupe? i know the 3rd gens get made every so often but they are usually knight rider stuff. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, xbazzarex said:

I realize this is a snowballs chance in hell but, will there ever be any newer pontiac stuff? 3rd and 4th gen tran ams, G8 GXP, Solstice GXP, 97-02 grand prix coupe? i know the 3rd gens get made every so often but they are usually knight rider stuff. 

My nephew has a Solstice, I can’t find anything in 1/24-25 scale. I think he has a small die cast.