Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 Product News at the 2023 NNL Motor City

tim boyd

23 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

The engine from the '71 Charger Super Bee street machine kit represents an aftermarket, non-factory Hemi IIRC.   The regular R/T kit was a 440 w/ A/C and bench/bucket seat, IIRC.

Ok that I would be ok with but '71 Super bee's did not have door Louvers , not well thought out kit !

Edited by Mr mopar

2 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

You could not get A/C with a  426 Hemi  ever let alone '71 ! can you guys fix this ?

The kit represents a '71 R/T with the aftermarket Stage V Hemi conversion for the 440, not a factory produced Hemi car.  We're not calling it a Super Bee either. 

I've already noted a number of possible changes that could be made for a future version, however this version is set.  It was shown for a preview of what's coming with it.  

-Steve

• Like 1

Either way, I'm just happy the '71 Charger is being re-released in any version. Gives me a fair chance to pick one up at a decent price rather than trying to ebay for one. Most of us aren't overly worried about some kits being "factory correct", especially if/when the box states "Street Machine Version" in the first place. We can usually wrangle enough parts from the spare parts box to get close enough if that's what we're after.

• Like 1

i personally love the new re-issue look Charger with the louvered doors and air-grabber hood and the only reason why i would buy this kit is because of these. I'm not worried as much as other bean counters about this kit being 100% factory correct. And who knows if ya do @SteveG a future release with  hideaway headlight edition would be neat too. Alot of different options for a builder to choose. I'm sure as always future releases would depend on sales of current releases. Charger base could flip over to say a 71/72 Road Runner 😉spinoff...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Either way, I'm just happy the '71 Charger is being re-released in any version. Gives me a fair chance to pick one up at a decent price rather than trying to ebay for one. Most of us aren't overly worried about some kits being "factory correct", especially if/when the box states "Street Machine Version" in the first place. We can usually wrangle enough parts from the spare parts box to get close enough if that's what we're after.

What Craig said.  The air grabber hood and the "Bazooka" exhaust tips in this kit, when combined with the stock Charger R/T kit and its factory content (we all l have a few of those in our kit stash, make for a really desirable project on its own, and one accessible at reasonable price points.  Way to go, Steve!  TB 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/15/2023 at 8:31 PM, Mr mopar said:

Ok that I would be ok with but '71 Super bee's did not have door Louvers , not well thought out kit !

Well the kit has some neat goodies, overlooked by many at the time it first came out, part due to the so so box-art, Round-2 brings it back in what I'm sure will be a much better wrapper, so don't really get the negative comments on it, cuz  it's not a retool or so!

Maybe it could've been avoided by, for example adding the wheel and tire package of the '71 B/M Camaro and some wild graphics on the decal sheet marketing is as a Street Machine, cuz there's no wrong or right there, no?!

Just my 2 cents ;)

Cheers

Luc

3 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Well the kit has some neat goodies, overlooked by many at the time it first came out, part due to the so so box-art, Round-2 brings it back in what I'm sure will be a much better wrapper, so don't really get the negative comments on it, cuz  it's not a retool or so!

Maybe it could've been avoided by, for example adding the wheel and tire package of the '71 B/M Camaro and some wild graphics on the decal sheet marketing is as a Street Machine, cuz there's no wrong or right there, no?!

Just my 2 cents ;)

Cheers

Luc

Don't get me wrong I really like  this New version of the '71 Charger, it just makes it easy to make a Super Bee ! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, spkgibsonfirebird said:

I'd love to see the AMT 1969 Ford Torino Cobra hardtop kit brought back out. I think it was only made as an annual back when the car was new. That one and the 1968 AMT Torino convertible pace car also. 

I agree.  

16 hours ago, leafsprings said:

I spy a separate grill and bumper on the '63 F 100, nice improvement.

Yep...plus clear styrene headlamps to boot.  The original 1963 kit grille engraving detail is very shallow, too, will be interesting to see if SG directed any tweaks there as well...

Also note the separately molded and plated hood badging, and the factory stock dog dish hubcaps, which were not in the original annual kit.  Not to mention the correctly engraved 1963-only F100 upper body side moldings, which were a hot mess on the original annual kit body. 

This one is shaping up to be clearly superior to the original in every dimension....TB 

Edited by tim boyd

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Yep...plus clear styrene headlamps to boot.  The original 1963 kit grille engraving detail is very shallow, too, will be interesting to see if SG directed any tweaks there as well...

Also note the separately molded and plated hood badging, and the factory stock dog dish hubcaps, which were not in the original annual kit.  Not to mention the correctly engraved 1963-only F100 upper body side moldings, which were a hot mess on the original annual kit body. 

This one is shaping up to be clearly superior to the original in every dimension....TB 

I'm guessing a lot of the original '63 kits will be appearing on eBay. 

On 11/21/2023 at 6:30 PM, spkgibsonfirebird said:

I'd love to see the AMT 1969 Ford Torino Cobra hardtop kit brought back out. I think it was only made as an annual back when the car was new. That one and the 1968 AMT Torino convertible pace car also. 

The 1969 Torino can still be had with some searching. I would like to see it back dated to the 1968 version for something slightly different with out a heavy investment

• 5 months later...
On 11/13/2023 at 10:24 PM, SteveG said:

On the Chrysler '57 Chrysler 300 Custom, the parts are a straight from the last Custom Issue in 2006.  I'm hoping that the new packaging will show it's features better like the Cadillac Sabre wheels which were not shown before.  The new expanded decal sheet will have some Larry Watson inspired flame graphics and other goodies.  

-Steve

Steve, it looks like the stock headlights and buckets are also included in the kit, as are the stock tail lights.

• Like 1