Model Cars Magazine Forum

A more in-depth look at Round 2's entirely new tool (yes!) 1971 Dodge Demon 340 kit....

tim boyd

Round 2's Steve Goldman walked me through their new MPC Dodge Demon 340 kit at the 2023 NNL Motor City.

Upon opening the lid, the first thing I noticed was that ALL the parts trees are all new, not a reuse of the old MPC Duster/Dart Sport tool. Steve then clarified - this is indeed an all-new tool, based on the engineering for the original MPC Demon 340 kit but with updates/corrections/additions throughout.

You can see the details in 19 images and captions at this link: https://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/round-2-mpc-1971-do/first-in-depth-look-/ Be sure to check the body images (and their captions) for details on the new refinements there.

One apology up front. My camera was set on "automatic" rather than "aperture priority" so the depth of field on some of these images is lacking. Sorry 'bout that. But I think you can get the general idea from the photos anyway.

Thanks for looking and watch for this kit at the stores or online soon. As of this week, it's on the production line at Round 2's overseas production vendor....hopefully our online retailers and storefront hobby sellers will soon have the real thing for us to order and have in hour hot modeling hands....Tim

DSC 0846

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

Thanks, guys, for the feedback on the review.  But I want to thank Round 2's Steve Goldman, who took quite a bit of time away from a very busy Round 2 display booth to walk me through the new kit and its contents in detail.  He's the guy that made this presentation possible.  So, thanks, Steve, from all of us.  TB 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

While I do not understand the infatuation with this kit, other than being so rare, any new tooling is good thing. 

Why did they not use the new tool duster from a few years back??  Seems odd to start all over. I know that Duster had some window shape issue but do not recall major chassis/engine problems. Thanks

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

While I do not understand the infatuation with this kit, other than being so rare, any new tooling is good thing. 

Why did they not use the new tool duster from a few years back??  Seems odd to start all over. I know that Duster had some window shape issue but do not recall major chassis/engine problems. Thanks

I assume Round 2 wanted to be consistent with the original MPC tooling so they can use the Retro Deluxe branding..

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

I think I have heard that the “Mueller Era” kits are harder to revise, for example: the AMT ‘70 1/2 Camaro. There seemed to be problems with that project when they decided to tool up the full bumper version of that kit. 

I think it probably has to do with the basic way those 90’s kits were designed. They were more “filled in” everywhere…the chassis and interior mate more directly and in more places, as does everything else - like a tighter jigsaw puzzle overall. 

Making changes to kits like the ‘71 Duster, they probably have to make sure the new parts meet up with everything they attach to, which is much more precise than in an older design like those late ‘60’s era kits, along with making sure the new pieces look accurate. 

It looks like Ertl took that approach with their 1/18 ‘71 Duster when they spun off their 1/18 ‘71-‘72 Demon tool. You can plainly see where the 1/18 tool shares similarity with their 1/25 kit (they probably share some engineering and I think they were done around the same time). Their 1/18 Duster looks pretty decent, but their 1/18 Demon just looks plain weird- the grille area looks too “pushed in”, like it was poorly grafted onto the existing Duster design. Seeing that, I’m glad they did not take the approach of doing the new Demon from the AMT ‘71 Duster, although that probably had something to do with who was working on that project back 20 plus years ago.

In the older kits like the ‘68 Coronet and ‘71 Demon, more things simply hung in space, so it was probably much easier to engineer alternative parts for those kinds of kits. It does look like Round 2 went to great lengths fill in some of those spaces along the chassis and engine room, etc. it might have simply been an easier, less time consuming approach, making the project less costly. They have definitely found a nice groove in this approach, judging by their recent  GTO’s and the ‘68 Coronet kit. 

I really think their ‘68 Coronet’s body looks very good. The pics of their Demon look promising. If these new bodies didn’t look so good, I would be much less enthusiastic about these kits, to say the least. 

To me, if this is the approach they need to take to bring these kits to market, then Round 2 has this absolutely right. 

• Like 1

My only beef with what I am seeing so far is with the engine. It looks like it was cribbed from the old underscale MPC 340-360. 

One thing they really should have done is try to clone the engine from the AMT Duster, rather than from the old MPC Darts and Dusters. Same with the ‘68 Coronet- they should have developed a clone engine from their ‘71 Charger for that one. 

I’ll push really hard on that subject if/ when they start talking about a ‘71 - ‘72 Road Runner…

Thanks much , @tim boyd, for the presentation ! Man alive, this thing looks awesome ! The correct fender-cowl-door separations ; the clear back-up lamp portion ; the separate grille ; the open-"vent" Rallye rims ; those sweet tyres (who cares if it's got Firestones instead of Good Years ? Those factory tyres didn't last long anyhow (especially when downloading the power of a 340, etc.) , so the Wide Oval RWL's are perfect).

Then there's the decals ! I recognise the Sizzler decals, as well as the Sizzler-specific 'strobe-pinstripe' decals ! Gorgeous ! 

Now I'm going to have to order yet another one or five  of these kits ( already have two on order)  .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Thanks, guys, for the feedback on the review.  But I want to thank Round 2's Steve Goldman, who took quite a bit of time away from a very busy Round 2 display booth to walk me through the new kit and its contents in detail.  He's the guy that made this presentation possible.  So, thanks, Steve, from all of us.  TB 

SteveG has been a great ambassador for Round2.  He has done a great job with choosing new projects and promot8ng them. I also like the information explaining how the choices are made. The limitations with budgets and project constraints are often not explained.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

SteveG has been a great ambassador for Round2.  He has done a great job with choosing new projects and promot8ng them. I also like the information explaining how the choices are made. The limitations with budgets and project constraints are often not explained.

What Bob said x2!.  We are so lucky to have Steve and the entire Round 2 staff that have worked with us over the last...what...now 15 years or so!  Who would have ever dreamed....not me, that's for sure!  TB 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I initially was leaning toward updating the Mueller era '71 Duster kit into a Dodge Demon, but those kits all pre-date the use of 3D files.  Watching the struggle to modify the '67 Impala SS tooling into the Supernatural 4 door, and still keep all of the original tooling intact was a real eye opener.  Once I factored in the price tag and how long that one took, the decision to clone the original MPC version became the clear choice.  As a bonus, we now have the ability to easily expand it to other variations of the MPC Mopar A-bodies that shared a lot of the same basic design which I've already started working toward.  I'm not going to give any further clues on what those projects may or may not be, but I've got some great possibilities.  

Although I do appreciate the being recognized for my contributions, it really is team effort from by everyone at both Round2 and our overseas partners who do most of the design work, tooling and literally all the heavy lifting.  

-Steve

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

[the engine] looks like it was cribbed from the old underscale MPC 340-360. 

I noticed one of the cylinder heads in one of the photos, and how it strongly resembles the MPC 273-318-340-360. Perhaps that engine - if it is indeed based on the MPC LA-Series - will look better in the updated/upgraded engine compartment ? Additionally ; I was hoping that - again, if the tooling is based upon the MPC kit - the engine/trans combo from the MPC 1977-80 Volare would've been substituted. 

I'm just ecstatic that the much coveted Demon 340 kit is available again after a 50+ year absence. And, it's vastly improved vs. the original. 

2 hours ago, SteveG said:

I initially was leaning toward updating the Mueller era '71 Duster kit into a Dodge Demon, but those kits all pre-date the use of 3D files.  Watching the struggle to modify the '67 Impala SS tooling into the Supernatural 4 door, and still keep all of the original tooling intact was a real eye opener.  Once I factored in the price tag and how long that one took, the decision to clone the original MPC version became the clear choice.  As a bonus, we now have the ability to easily expand it to other variations of the MPC Mopar A-bodies that shared a lot of the same basic design which I've already started working toward.  I'm not going to give any further clues on what those projects may or may not be, but I've got some great possibilities.  

Although I do appreciate the being recognized for my contributions, it really is team effort from by everyone at both Round2 and our overseas partners who do most of the design work, tooling and literally all the heavy lifting.  

-Steve

In saying this Steve i will already start the lobbying for a 73/74 A-body Duster, which as you say  "shared a lot of the same basic design" and wheelbase  or even a 70 Dart perhaps :) I will have to attempt to expand my living life another 10 plus years to get all these new kits built, haaa

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mopeyguy said:

... I will have to attempt to expand my living life another 10 plus years to get all these new kits built, haaa

Yup. I've got at least 50 years of projects ro get to still.

Better than dying from boredom though, watching TV 24/7 and swelling up like a tick from living on bon-bons and chips.  ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 4