Model Cars Magazine Forum

A more in-depth look at Round 2's entirely new tool (yes!) 1971 Dodge Demon 340 kit....

tim boyd

A close look at this kit form the photos  , the 340 looks good and the go wing pedistal don't look right  too big  and the outside mirror don't look correct  ,A big but the decals look Awesome  a close look shows Demon inside door  emblems super cool ,I can wait to get my hands on this kit !

Edited by Mr mopar

Wing does look a bit tall but I probably wouldn't use it anyhow.  Do the exhaust tips look weird to anyone?  Years ago I had a 71 Demon 340 and I don't think that is the shape for the tips but this is being nit picky on my part.  Overall I am so excited about the kit.  

• Like 1

Being a die hard Mopar fan, this one has me really excited. Thank you Round 2!  Impressed with the 68 Coronet which I am currently building and this one looks to be just as good. I am using the 383/440 from the Revell Hemi dart in it and will probably use the 340 from the AMT Duster in the Demon. Got one on preorder. Thanks for the preview Tim.

On 11/13/2023 at 12:41 PM, SteveG said:

As a bonus, we now have the ability to easily expand it to other variations of the MPC Mopar A-bodies that shared a lot of the same basic design which I've already started working toward.  I'm not going to give any further clues on what those projects may or may not be, but I've got some great possibilities.  

Triple dog dare ya. tango_face_grin.png.4a5218fbad210f6c03dfa160b7aadddf.png.b25750b2fd59a9cb50d03279be4cdb69.png

i002481.jpg.daafd21492772a23a8b5185b993a7266.jpg

Edited by ChrisBcritter
  • Haha 3

On 11/15/2023 at 11:31 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

As a bonus, we now have the ability to easily expand it to other variations of the MPC Mopar A-bodies that shared a lot of the same basic design which I've already started working toward.  I'm not going to give any further clues on what those projects may or may not be, but I've got some great possibilities.  

A Swinger 340 would be pretty sweet. Lower hanging fruit wise, a new grille, hood scoop and hood decal would net you a 72 Demon. Not sure what the ROI/demand would turn up for that one, but it would be cool.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

A Swinger 340 would be pretty sweet. Lower hanging fruit wise, a new grille, hood scoop and hood decal would net you a 72 Demon. Not sure what the ROI/demand would turn up for that one, but it would be cool.

Taillights on the 72 Demon are wider.

3 hours ago, Can-Con said:

You may be thinking of the Plymouth Duster. From everything I've seen, the '71 and '72 Demons use the same tail lights.

DMPS-3786 Mopar A-Body Tail Light Panel 1971-1972 Dodge Demon -  dantesparts.com

Probably so.  But for some reason I thought they widened the rear lights on the Demon as well.  My bad.

11 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Side markers are different on the '72 also.  Although honestly, that's so minor I'd give them a pass if they got the grille and scoop correct.

It would be easy enough to change for anyone that was really bothered by it.  But let's be honest, there would be lots of screeching from certain types.

• Thanks 1

I saw the test shot of the car at the NNL East, very nicely done IMO.

On the old MPC thing, IIRC my first was the Dodge Charger. Then onto something like the '66 Pontiac. Immediately even at age 11, I noticed that the bodies were thinner and crisper than the AMT kits at the time.

Just now, 1972coronet said:

I too would love to see a correct 1970 Swinger 340, but the 1967-76 Dart lineup (other than the Demon) used a longer wheelbase and dealing with that in a scale kit  begins to introduce either compromises in authenticity or a number of issues with adapting tooling to accurately reflect reality. Still,,,,these days, I wouldn't put anything past Round 2's capability to surprise us with new kit topics.  TB

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

It sure was an interesting time for special Canadian-only models.  It reminds me of the '68-'70 Catalina 2+2, not available in the U.S.

• Like 1