Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1:24 Love: 1932 Roadster

Dennis Lacy

🤣Just don’t do any 4 grand clutch drops and you’ll be fine. I abused an early ford trans behind a 350 and never broke it but my uncle sheered the teeth off of first gear dropping the clutch in his 47 sedan.

I think my saving grace were the bias plys that never hooked on any surface 

Edited by Dan Hay
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 2:11 PM, Dennis Lacy said:

For the first time in forever I’ve found myself in a model building slump that’s gone on for about 6 months now. Not so much for lack of desire, mostly because life decided it hadn’t been busy enough and said, “Hold my beer!” While I have several good existing projects to choose from I thought it would be nice to do something simple to get the juices flowing again compared to my usual heavy kit-bashing, fabricating and detailing. 

Good to see you trying to power through the slump just like I am. And you're right, these Monogram hot rod kits are the perfect thing for that, that's why I'm building my SweeTee. Of course in typical ADL fashion you had to do SOME kitbashing, right? 😂

You know I love this kit, having built four versions of this kit in the last few years. 

Thanks for turning me on to those slotted wheels. I always bypass them because they are always chrome and just didn't trip my trigger. But seeing them stripped down i can see they have pretty decent detail, and will probably look good painted to simulate the Dow coating or in magnesium/gunmetal. Now you've got my gears turning, haha.

And thanks for the heads up on the axle on the Thom Taylor 34, didn't realize that was in there, or the Deuce valve covers in the Beach Boys 32. You are the king of hot rod kitbashing my friend. 

Now keep pushing this to the finish line!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Good to see you trying to power through the slump just like I am. And you're right, these Monogram hot rod kits are the perfect thing for that, that's why I'm building my SweeTee. Of course in typical ADL fashion you had to do SOME kitbashing, right? 😂

You know I love this kit, having built four versions of this kit in the last few years. 

Thanks for turning me on to those slotted wheels. I always bypass them because they are always chrome and just didn't trip my trigger. But seeing them stripped down i can see they have pretty decent detail, and will probably look good painted to simulate the Dow coating or in magnesium/gunmetal. Now you've got my gears turning, haha.

And thanks for the heads up on the axle on the Thom Taylor 34, didn't realize that was in there, or the Deuce valve covers in the Beach Boys 32. You are the king of hot rod kitbashing my friend. 

Now keep pushing this to the finish line!

Thanks for nice words, Craig. You know, you and your recent Monogram 1:24 hot rod builds are largely responsible for my desire to build this one. I loved this Roadster kit as a kid / teen. It’s proving quite difficult to draw the line on modifications and not going all-out as I typically do. The evolution of the engine is a perfect example. 

The slot wheels from the ‘29 Pickup are actually pretty nicely done if a person likes 70’s Ansen Sprints. Before I switched to the wires the idea was to paint them aluminum. Although they didn’t make the cut this time I’d like to put them on something. 

And, while I haven’t commented yet I’ve been keeping an eye on your T project!

Only had a small sliver of time at the bench this weekend but I managed to handle most of the final details. 

The kit hood top was sanded smooth and then I cut a hole for the blower scoop to poke through. 

IMG_2115.thumb.jpeg.732e44f5c0cb0c7e45da46eefd2206ad.jpeg

I was getting ready to adapt the dropped headlight bar from a Revell ‘32 Ford kit when I remembered there is one in the most recent issue of the Monogram / Revell ‘30 Woody and as luck would have it, it’s a good fit AND it doesn’t have fiddly separate headlights. Out back I drilled some holes in the back lower body panel to mount the license plate frame from a Revell ‘29 Roadster and the taillights from any of the Revell ‘32 Ford’s. 

IMG_2110.thumb.jpeg.f04bea747ce293f1b3c3c2999401d0b9.jpeg

IMG_2111.thumb.jpeg.48fab38280cd0a972e52fc38ef0546fb.jpeg

IMG_2112.thumb.jpeg.897c8df02e7d66e4bcf204c7ba843bfb.jpeg

IMG_2113.thumb.jpeg.b086f71f2634cc83dde23e2e33a9278b.jpeg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Yep, that’s the stuff right there

Man you did a nice job of cutting that hole!  I would’ve measured that blower placement ten times and still ended up having the hole not align properly.

Stance is great too!  

I’m with you on that Jim, I would have ended up plunking it right in the ole plastic recycling pile. 

• Like 2

Dennis I like where you are heading with this build. The stance is on the money and that blower engine with sidey trans and running gear - what a hoot!!.

I have a number of them in the stash but could not get my head around building one as the chassis is very BLAH. I do think that the proportions are spot on and have seen some stunning builds.

The closest I have got is combining the body with a R&D Unique white metal chassis that I started an age ago - must dig it out and get some pix and get on with the build. I was stalled because I wanted chrome suspension parts and at the time there was no method to do this with white metal and other media. There now is so there is no excuse to get on with the build.

• Like 2

Coming along nicely. That blower setup looks cool. Someone mentioned it now needed headers, I would have to agree with that. I've started one and I see what you were talking about in getting it lowered. I'm having problems getting the tires inside far enough to get it down where I want it. Looking at what you did has gave me some ideas though.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Finally found my way to the workbench for a few hours last Sunday.

Previously I had roughed-in the exhaust but it needed finishing such as blending the glue joints on the tailpipes and smoothing all the mold seams. The tips were drilled out to make the tube thickness more realistic along with a shallow angle cut. The big mounting notches in the gas tank for the kit exhaust were smoothed and some discrete .040” mounting pins installed. 

IMG_2527.thumb.jpeg.e8e7679056ba88a8dafed606e37f3ab3.jpeg

IMG_2530.thumb.jpeg.0e40a980e6ac6cc046a4929af2555eb8.jpeg

IMG_2528.thumb.jpeg.7a4473f02b645199f5c5c63aaf8909a6.jpeg

IMG_2529.thumb.jpeg.9f96b47c5092168d00a667d0bf8851f8.jpeg

Thats about it for the fab work so I spent the rest of the time starting to generally sand and get things cleaned up moving towards primer. It’s been unusually cold and wet this winter here in SoCal so hoping for some good paint weather soon!

Still undecided on main and accent color, tossing around some ideas…

Edited by Dennis Lacy
  • Like 1

Sorry I missed this one until today!  You're usual meticulous planning is really going to bring out the goodness in this kit.  In the interests of full disclosure, I have built eleven of them in my lifetime, they are all still on my shelves and I have two more channelled versions on the go.  I  just bought another yellow version because - I had to!  They are without doubt the best 32 roadster ever tooled and the 1/25th scale snobs can just deal with it. 

I've got to agree with a lot of the other guys on some points.  Never knew about the unique parts on the chopped cabriolet kit because I never got around to popping the cellophane!  The accuracy of the cutout for your blower scoop is surgical - I can only dream! Completely agree on going back to the Deuce rocker covers - they are nice pieces and you really can only put them on a Deuce so this is perfect.

I was excited by the idea of the slotted mags in the newer tyres and I'm definitely going to steal that idea for myself.  The tyres they come with are pretty uninspiring but the upgrade you did here made all the difference.  I would have got around your dilemma by putting two wires on one side, two slots on the other.  I do it all the time - you cant see both sides on a lowered fully fendered car at the same time and most people don't even notice! But that's me - it's not for everyone and I get that.

I used those ZZTop pipes on my red Tim Boyd pickup build.  They are an excellent choice for any hot rod.

Will continue to follow this build closely. As my favourite hot rod kit of all time, I cant wait to see what you do with it!

Cheers

Alan

• Like 1