Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone know how old this paint is

Some (all?) spray cans have a wax stopper which, in the best of all possible worlds, you spray out with the first pressure on the side. In old cans, the wax may have dried and then you can remove the nozzle and poke with a welding wire bent like a U with the can facing away from you.

www.usinflationcalculator.com

Put a reasonably-known start date in, and advance a few years.

High school was 1989-'93. I remember Testors square bottles running around 79-89 cents each, and 89-99 cents most of the '90s into the early 2000s.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

My oldest Testors bottle said '19 cents' until I tried to clean it up!  Anybody remember the paint sets sold by Aurora?  Tiny bottles with tinier caps, but very nice paint.  I did a JoHan '61 Dodge with a brush ,and it looked almost sprayed, back in hi school.  I clean out and refill old Testors bottles with One-Shot, lacquers, even nail polishes to keep them useable -- sometimes it even works!  

I pour-off 1/1 paints into Trader Joe's spice bottles  -- about three ounces -- and put new labels on them to same small amounts, or prevent having to go dip it out of a gallon can; pretty handy.  Easy to share, too!  Wick

On 12/8/2023 at 10:12 PM, Bainford said:

Building in Eastern Canada since the early 70s and using Testors paints almost exclusively, I have never seen the price on the lid as pictured above.

Most likely because the prices were in U.S. currency.  Testors likely made different lids for domestic and export markets.