Model Cars Magazine Forum

'67 Corvette Gasser

10 hours ago, Hoffman said:

Man, I started watching that movie a few weeks back and just could not hang in there! It was SO shitty, I had bail out, watch something else instead. Will have to try again later. 😅

I know, it's soooooo slow. Just get to the point if there is one. lol Just fast forward to the end and watch the drag race down Mulholland Drive in the hills on the edge of the San Fernando Valley. Steve runs the 356 Porsche Speedster and Cal runs the 'Vette. The movie is loosely written about Chris Banning, who owned and raced a heavily modified Porsche 911 and Charles "Crazy Charlie" Woit, who owned and raced a vintage, 427 'Vette. In 2006, Chris Banning wrote a book entitled "The Mulholland Experience" detailing his experiences, what it was like being a part of that street racing community and being the inspiration for the film.

Hopper is crazy nuts in that film. That was a perfect character for him to play. And for the heck of it, watch the Holley throttle on the 'vette. It does not match the sound track. lol

Edited by dwc43

In 73 -75 I was attending college days and working full time nights at a gas station in Sherman Oaks on Sepulveda near Ventura Blvd. Lots of the Mulholland racers would stop in and meet, BS, Bench Race or sometimes do a last minute check of their cars in our station before heading up to one end of the section of Mulholland Drive that was used for street racing. Corvettes, Ferraris, Porsches, Cobra kit cars, etc. Mostly substantially modified. Like Gerald Hall's beautiful gray metallic 914 with really wide Halibrand wheels and matching fenders that for some reason I remember better than most of the rest. Since I was an SCCA Tech Inspector I understood their talk and they understood me, so we had some pretty good conversations. At the time I was looking to buy a VW Bug and was asking everybody who came in with one if they were interested in selling. I wound up buying a 65 Bug that way. One of those I asked was a young guy who lived in the neighborhood who had a 68 Bug with a 2180cc with dual 48IDA Weber carbs, lowered ride height, extra stout sway bar, 13 x 8 rims with BFG T/A tires mounted to '67 5 lug drum brakes. He declined to sell at the time. Then after I bought a 65 and built a Baja Bug out of it with an 1835cc with a single Weber carb, the guy told me his Bug was for sale for $1500, less than I had just spent on the engine for my Baja, not to mention the gear box that cost as much, body work, wheels and tires, roll bar, etc. Then a week later, he stopped in and told me he had a buyer for the car but was waiting for the cash. Then a couple nights later I was working and there were several Mulholland racers in the station talking about the one guy none of them could beat. Then the guy with the Bug rolled in to the other side of the station for some gas. The guys I was talking to all pointed and said that was the guy they were talking about. All these exotic high dollar radical cars, and they were telling me the car they couldn't beat was a VW Bug! Amazing! Of course, Mulholland Drive is a very tight twisty narrow road with few long straights to favor the high horsepower cars or those with aerodynamic advantages. More of a slalom course. A 125cc shifter go kart would probably smoke them all. So the Bug was pretty good for that. But still?!?!

Yeah, the movie was very corny and cheesy. A few cool cars in it though.

• Thanks 1

3351651.thumb.jpg.55f6f3ffaad2f5736d51f251e2ecc1db.jpg

Moving along to the engine placement and exhaust now...I glued the firewall in place and cleaned up the intersection of the Corvette floorpan and the rear tubs...

I added an extended tail piece to the transmission so it now meets the crossmember.....

The next step is to extended the primary tubes of the headers so they reach the heads. I found some pieces of old AMT funny car exhaust tubes that are roughly the same diameter of the headers for extensions...

----------------------------------

lll.thumb.jpg.ad9c99c5564a7c2bb59450f090b7d369.jpg

Header extensions have been glued on....

--------------------------------

rezrzsz.thumb.jpg.861d65501c065fa480c2bdb0321d31c1.jpg

both headers have been extended, sanded down, puttied in and sanded some more...

---------------------------

hbvjgvhv.thumb.jpg.9daf4bbb062c2c3c5bb53b4914b934a0.jpg

The headers are a very snug fit.....new motor mounts were fabricated up, slightly behind the original mounts that were removed...the driveshaft will be shortened an RCH or two....

That's all for today... -RRR

• Like 3

Looking good!!BIG gasser fan here!!!I"m  currently working on the Mobius 65 Nova trying to make it more period correct and if if you can get to Ringgold GA, the Southeast Gassers association make their return to rainerd OPtimist dragstrip this upcoming year March 24th. close to 100 Authentic period correct gassers competing heads up first to the finish line wins the way drag racing used to be.  they put on an awesome show!!!their motto is "Follow us to 1967!!!" 

17 hours ago, roadhawg said:

Looking good!!BIG gasser fan here!!!I"m  currently working on the Mobius 65 Nova trying to make it more period correct and if if you can get to Ringgold GA, the Southeast Gassers association make their return to rainerd OPtimist dragstrip this upcoming year March 24th. close to 100 Authentic period correct gassers competing heads up first to the finish line wins the way drag racing used to be.  they put on an awesome show!!!their motto is "Follow us to 1967!!!" 

Thanks, Tommy. I do occasionally check out SEGA goings on posted on H.A.M.B.  -RRR