Model Cars Magazine Forum

Upcoming MPC Reissues - '79 Nova and '73 Cougar

Justin Porter

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

It doesn't have the correct engine to be built stock, it has an 427 which had been phased out by 73 and a Boss 429 which was gone by 73 also. You'll need a 351 Windsor or a 351 Cleveland to make it actually stock. 

It’s a shame the same incorrect engines (for a stock build) have been carried over to every reissue in just about every FOMOCO AMT and MPC kit since the 1970s.  Only by looking at a few years later (Mustang II kits) might you find something that resembles a 351 engine which of course was never Installed in a real 74 and later Mustang.

23 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

It’s a shame the same incorrect engines (for a stock build) have been carried over to every reissue in just about every FOMOCO AMT and MPC kit since the 1970s.  Only by looking at a few years later (Mustang II kits) might you find something that resembles a 351 engine which of course was never Installed in a real 74 and later Mustang.

Yeah, the 70s was a dark time for model accuracy. 

13 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

It doesn't have the correct engine to be built stock, it has an 427 which had been phased out by 73 and a Boss 429 which was gone by 73 also. You'll need a 351 Windsor or a 351 Cleveland to make it actually stock. 

One could do a day 2, which could be very close to stock. I've done that a few times, or a restored stock, I've seen real ones with things that weren't factory.

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

One could do a day 2, which could be very close to stock. I've done that a few times, or a restored stock, I've seen real ones with things that weren't factory.

Yeah, the 429 from either of the Revell Torino kits would be a good candidate for a factory phantom or day two build.

On 12/15/2023 at 4:59 PM, Motor City said:

The Nova was never a mid-sized car.  It was always referred to as a compact car.  I guess after 40-some years, whomever came up with that designation on the box art wasn't around then. 

Here is the original box art for the Cougar.  I don't think the Street Machine version can be built stock.  I still remember buying my kit 50 years ago at Sears in Lincoln Park, Michigan of all places!

image.png.b0a5117bb61a4e8d71517c03a99c896e.png

It does have stock wheels

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 10:51 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

Somebody (Fireball Modelworks?) was making correct deluxe wheelcovers for the '71-'73 Cougar; anyone remember who?

I have stock 71-73 Cougar full wheel covers in my Shapeways shop. Look for basement resin. Delete my post if not allowed...

Cougar_XR7.jpg

• Thanks 2

On 12/17/2023 at 7:26 AM, Mark said:

Both of the stock Mustang II kits have a correct V6 engine for the stock versions.  Both originated as 1974 models; no V8 was offered that year.

Perhaps I was thinking of some of the Drag race versions of the kit.  Also I think the MPC 83 GT kit has a v8 that looks larger than a 302 but not like a big block Ford.  I think my point is that the models kits of the 60s and 70s would lag behind the real cars so that is how you end up with a Boss 429 in a 73 Mustang or Cougar kit despite Ford dropping the engine after 1970.

I look forward to seeing both kits.  If memory serves, both AMT and MPC offered late-'70s Novas ('76 & '79 respectively) but I always thought the MPC's body lines were far better.  

I hope we can influence Round2 to issue the Cougar in white.  

5 minutes ago, Monty said:

I look forward to seeing both kits.  If memory serves, both AMT and MPC offered late-'70s Novas ('76 & '79 respectively) but I always thought the MPC's body lines were far better.  

I hope we can influence Round2 to issue the Cougar in white.  

I think the AMT was a '75.

MPC did '77,'78 and '79 Novas. I have a '78 to redo someday.

image.png.d444f05b534e9e3337c5d35256cbe2b5.png

image.png.273fcda27862824604cb016df8e917dd.png

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 4:41 PM, Justin Porter said:

MPC #1003 1979 Chevy Nova

I had heard years ago when Round II reissued the Squad Rod that the tooling would be used for future projects. I thought white styrene with colored glass in Coke style would've been the obvious choice... but this represents what they typically do. I just hope the dang thing isn't blue! I want to see it in white once again. 

3 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I think the AMT was a '75.

Not much difference between 75 and 76 other than the grills. I don't believe the tooling on the grill was changed just the boxart representing a 75 grill. I could be wrong but I've never seen the 75 grill from the kit. Maybe someone else can weigh in on this?

discogrilles.gif

Edited by disconovaman

18 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Sorry, I can't help but flood the thread on the topic of Disco Novas but that's just me. This one is my current 76 nova. I snapped this pic over the summer when I stopped by the pizza place to pick up some late dinner. I thought the setting represented a period look.

20230520_203530.jpg

WOW !! That's a beauty ! A friend's dad had a '78 Hatch in the late 80's, same colour combo as yours. His had the four barrel 350 (originally the 305), TH-400, and towing package. That thing would s__t-&-git ! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

His had the four barrel 350 (originally the 305), TH-400

Thanks! yes my car was dealer ordered with the L-65 350 2-barrel carb. Air conditioning, it's all factory stock with 31X original miles. It doesn't get up compared to every other car I've owned but I appreciate it for what it is. 2 owner car, previously owned by a 100 year old delevery nurse who bought this car new as a retirement gift to herself at 63 in 76. She lived to be 102.

• Thanks 2