Model Cars Magazine Forum

Canadian 1961 Pontiac Laurentian conversion

TheBEAUMONTGURU

I want to build this as a Laurentian 2dr hard top.  In canada pontiacs use chevrolet frames, floors, firewalls and engines.  bodies and interiors are a bit of a amalgamation of other models of 61 US cars.    When you lift the body off a canadian pontiac, everything left on the ground is exactly the same as a chevrolet.  So let the scratchbuilding and kit bashing fun begin!!!

here i have cut out the entire engine bay from the 61 impala and grafted it into the ventura body.  the ventura side trim is the same as a laurentian with the excpetion of the laurentian having the 3 stars on the quarters, so i had to make them.

THe interior is the same as the Catalina, so i had to buy both kits to get all the right panels

20210214_210631.jpg

20210214_210940.jpg

• Like 3

Im going with the most awesome 1961 color(IMO)  Dawnfire mist.    here i painted the body with PPG omni Single stage automotive paint.

Here is a comparison of my laurentian(chevy Xframe floorpan) vs the kit pontiac one.

And my new inner fenders, firewall and rad support.  all used from the impala to create a super accurate canadian pontiac

20210308_184635.jpg

20220415_091039.jpg

20220415_091342.jpg

• Like 4

here is the interior detailed mostly.  i fixed the incorrect dashpad on the kit,  all 61 pontiacs should have the little indent in the center both US and canadian as far as i know .  I used white decal sheets for the seats and panels.

I had to replace teh pontiac wheel with one from an AMT 62 Belair,  then make a clear horn cap to create a totally accurate 1961 Canadian Pontiac wheel

20220415_092110.jpg

20220415_092727.jpg

20220417_164002.jpg

• Like 5

Im going to build this one with a stone stock correct looking 261 ci engine with a cast iron powerglide.  I want to add Power steering too.  Im using the 61 truck kit along with a cast glide from the 65 nomad kit.  The power steering pump and all steering arms and slave cylinder, belts and funny looking aircleaner are all scratch built.  An yes 61 canadian pontiac 6cyls were green color.

20220417_163951.jpg

20220417_164156.jpg

• Like 5

Here is the interior finished and the engine installed,  some plumbing done.

I found the 1961 pontiac brochures all feature wide white walls,  by 1962 GM was using pinstripe whitewalls.  So,  WIDE WHITEWALLS it is!!!  gotta keep it stone stock.  I cant remember what these tires are from, but they fit nice and look correct.      Dogdish caps are a must on this build.

20220425_144301.jpg

20220425_155115.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheBEAUMONTGURU said:

When you lift the body off a Canadian Pontiac, everything left on the ground is exactly the same as a Chevrolet.

I learn something new every day. I knew that there were some differences between US and Canadian built but never knew to what extent some of them were.

An interesting kitbash build.

cheers, Graham ( in eastern Ontario )

Far out. I am a big fan of Canadian specific cars. As a kid my family had a 1953 Canadian Pontiac. While on a summer holiday in New England USA the car needed a new muffler. At the repair shop when the car was put up on the hoist the mechanic said "This ain't no Pontiac, its a Chevrolet !!"

A few more details and some foil work.   Here is some of the underside during final assembly.     I didnt go too crazy underneath,  and with the color its hard to tell i have red oxide primer with the body color overspray.  The exhaust front section is hand formed to meet up with the 6cyl properly.  You have to look close to see my P/S slave cyl details.

20220429_095000.jpg

20220430_164731.jpg

• Like 3