Model Cars Magazine Forum

2024 Cannonball Run Restomods Build Thread

White Rabbit

2 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

I used 1/8-inch tape to set my margins for the halo roof, but that might've been a little generous. My thinking is that our Cannonball is basically a photo contest and since I'm not the most mechanically astute I'll need all the visual impact I can get, so I'm doing the more interesting vinyl pattern.

Just ignore me.  I don’t know why, but I thought you were building a ‘71, not a ‘74.  Carry on!😁

3 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

I'll need all the visual impact I can get

This will give it the "Sleeper" look as well... The Maw-Maw Paw-Paw vinyl top automatically says you don't have anywhere to go in a timely fashion. 😁 l love it!

Just playing around and mocking some things up with this build this evening.

Looks like I’m going to be cutting the intake manifold down a bit.

IMG_3663.jpeg.2a12d645571de4f84953da7cd3a74130.jpeg

Also, the resin hood I ordered is here now.  I know nothing about resin, so I won’t condemn it.  But I was hoping it would be a little nicer than it is.  Looks better in the picture than it really is.  Not sure if I want to use it or not.  I think I’m going to clean it up and paint both hoods and use the one I like best.

Resin hood is on the right.

IMG_3664.jpeg.db64bdf88d1590d42954a43465448f2d.jpeg

Edited by atomicholiday

1 hour ago, atomicholiday said:

Also, the resin hood I ordered is here now.  I know nothing about resin, so I won’t condemn it.  But I was hoping it would be a little nicer than it is.  Looks better in the picture than it really is.  Not sure if I want to use it or not.  I think I’m going to clean it up and paint both hoods and use the one I like best.

Does the resin hood clear your injection setup, Jeremy?

2 hours ago, atomicholiday said:

Yep, I bought the same hood from the same ebay seller and it's hot garbage. 

We are looking at our first really cold weather of the year here in central Texas. It's supposed to hit something like 9 degrees Sunday night. I'm starting to regret putting off buying a heater for my work area out in the shop. I wasn't planning to start on my Cannonball build quite yet as I'm waiting on some things from suppliers. However, knowing that next week will be too cold, I got started today. My selection for the Run is Revell's 1997 Expedition. As the kit is a SnapTite, I started off by opening the hood. That was as far as I planned to go today, but I came across a junk Lindberg 1997 F150 cab and frame so I thought those might work. As it turns out, the Lindberg engine bay fits very well and the frame fits, too. After that, I gave it a shot of sandable primer and will look at working on it again after the temp get back into the 50s.

aaaaCanBallExpHoodOffInPrimer.jpg

Edited by oldcarfan
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, oldcarfan said:

We are looking at our first really cold weather of the year here in central Texas. It's supposed to hit something like 9 degrees Sunday night. I'm starting to regret putting off buying a heater for my work area out in the shop. I wasn't planning to start on my Cannonball build quite yet as I'm waiting on some things from suppliers. However, knowing that next week will be too cold, I got started today. My selection for the Run is Revell's 1997 Expedition. As the kit is a SnapTite, I started off by opening the hood. That was as far as I planned to go today, but I came across a junk Lindberg 1997 F150 cab and frame so I thought those might work. As it turns out, the Lindberg engine bay fits very well and the frame fits, too. After that, I gave it a shot of sandable primer and will look at working on it again after the temp get back into the 50s.

aaaaCanBallExpHoodOffInPrimer.jpg

Up here I'm the Memphis area we are supposed to get down to less than zero with the wind chill.  

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Does the resin hood clear your injection setup, Jeremy?

No, there isn't actually any extra clearance.  The material is just thicker in the center.   And the whole hood is too thick already.  It'll need to be thinned down just to fit level after paint.  No huge deal.  I just wanted something different from the kit part.  I still have an idea or two I can try. 

22 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

Yep, I bought the same hood from the same ebay seller and it's hot garbage. 

Lesson learned.   At least it wasn't too expensive. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, atomicholiday said:

No, there isn't actually any extra clearance.  The material is just thicker in the center.   And the whole hood is too thick already.  It'll need to be thinned down just to fit level after paint.  No huge deal.  I just wanted something different from the kit part.  I still have an idea or two I can try. 

Lesson learned.   At least it wasn't too expensive. 

Out of idle curiosity would you mind sharing who the seller is? Does it start with an “L”?

Working on the resin hood now to see if I can get it to fit properly.  It was WAY too thick to use as is.  A course sanding stick was used to thin the whole thing down to the same thickness as the kit hood.

It’s definitely better now, but it still needs a little more work in a few areas.  For instance, the raised section will need more sanded if I want wiper blades.  Might need those since we’re going cross country!

IMG_3669.jpeg.b9a5cec412f183f6d5de3a70a29294ec.jpegIMG_3670.jpeg.5ea69ff654b5bf711a37b64d36d68fba.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Keef said:

Out of idle curiosity would you mind sharing who the seller is? Does it start with an “L”?

Yes, it certainly does. I had heard his products had gotten better but at least this piece is still junk.

On 1/11/2024 at 5:45 PM, atomicholiday said:

I used that same setup on my 67 Impala but changed the top to resemble the early Corvette injectors. you could modify yours to give it another look while reducing the height.

IMG_20240113_073306176.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 4:13 PM, oldcarfan said:

Maybe you could take all that molded-in engine out and put in a dual turbo LS3 and watch Ferraristas' heads explode! Just kidding, Ferrari would probably put you on their blacklist and you'd never be able to buy a real Ferrari.

I actually thought the drive train from the new Corvette might fit in there nicely, but one of the reasons I like the BB so much is the flat 12. Maybe I can save that idea for the 308 I also got from this series.

I did some detail painting on the molded in parts on the "engine" and got it assembled.

NcsCXHs.jpeg

While I was at it I painted the calipers on the front brakes. I thought it was odd that the front brakes came with calipers but the rears didn't. I'll have to see what I can dig out of my parts box.

5nnCipq.jpeg

I also did some detailing on the lights.

34jqAKz.jpeg

• Like 3

It's trunk lid underside detail day.  Also made progress with scratch building some rear suspension.  

Modeling it on the Shelby GT 350R suspension so it's age and make correct for the 66 hardtop.

Kind looks like something from star wars.

PXL_20240114_030524489.jpg

• Like 2

I have never been happy with this car so I want to use it as a starting point. I’ll be taking this apart and rebuilding it. This group build was the excuse I needed to finally build a Camaro I’d be happy with. This car will be using skills I’ve never had much experience with. My resin experience is limited, and I’ve never used photoetch before.  I’m not as fast as most model builders. Some days I spend more time looking for dropped parts than building. And due to some injuries a few of my fingers don’t work too well. Enough of the excuses…

IMG_2025.thumb.jpeg.5a54bed0f904a0f031e07c2dd4d6edcd.jpegIMG_2026.thumb.jpeg.4e0642a227b400df87ff02a328052639.jpeg

My plan is to convert this Z28 into a RS/SS as well as upgrade as many parts as I can using resin, and photoetch.  Some upgrades will include a resin LS 3 engine, disc brakes, recaro seats, new side mirrors, hurst shifter, and hi performance headers all courtesy of Iceman Collections. I have 3 different resin hoods courtesy of Lex’s Scale Modeling. ( I know another member had some issues with a resin hood but I can say all 3 of the hoods I purchased fit well and are the correct thickness. ) For wheels and tires I’ll be using a set from Aoshima called American SS. I’ll be using a Model Car Garage photoetch set as well. 

IMG_2027.thumb.jpeg.0285f67f82ebfb5cc4fece2f8e8fa190.jpeg

As of today I’m undecided on colors but I’ve got plenty of time for that decision

• Like 2

Finally decided on my wheel choice. Got them mocked up yesterday. Going to start getting the body prepped next. Color combo will be revealed later on. Engine choice is going to be an LT4 from the AMT 94 Vette.

IMG_0021.jpeg

• Like 2