Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monster Miata V-8

Phildaupho

If you are not familiar with Monster Miatas, they started out being powered by 5-Liter FI Ford V-8’s. Lately LS Chevy engines have become a popular swap. For more back ground check out this link https://www.monstermiata.com/

2024-01-0415_07_56.thumb.jpg.56e675b0fb4ae717dd89478864409811.jpg2024-01-0415_13_25.thumb.jpg.c08aef3237b11f526f3e431b922aaef9.jpg

I have been wanting to build a Monster Miata for quite some time and had the necessary kits in my stash to carry out the conversion. Seeing an actual Monster Miata at a local car show this past summer renewed my interest in building a model of one. Both kits used are Monogram, 1/24 scale and in the ever-popular brittle red styrene [not]. One of course, is a first-generation Miata and the other is a ’55 Ford Pickup Street machine which supplied the 5.0 engine. The wheels are Watanabes from an Aoshima Toyota kit I built last year. Watanabe wheels are the Japanese version of Minilite wheels on which the original Miata wheels were based.

2024-01-0415_11_20.thumb.jpg.b0e35df33c1d919e82a24b7179128474.jpg2024-01-0415_12_11.thumb.jpg.2a6b6ae05b3adb161b58ab5dcd326f2b.jpg

My objective was to build a model that was at least reminiscent of a Monster Miata rather than an accurate replica. The Miata kit is actually pretty nice especially with its well detailed under carriage however getting the 5.0 Ford to fit under the hood was a challenge involving a fair amount cutting and grinding. The 1/1 conversion might actually be easier using the recommended modified parts. I adapted the front cover and accessory pulleys and belts from the Mazda engine and had to move the radiator forward. Being V-8 powered, the car needs dual exhausts. These were adapted from the Corvette C-5 kit.

2024-01-0415_09_36.thumb.jpg.cabd10da958779cf1e645e330f4fb624.jpg2024-01-0415_20_59.thumb.jpg.09ccd664c248011a3e402bafb44204b9.jpg

As for the body I decided to keep it looking close to being stock at first glance but I did use the kit supplied optional slightly modified front and rear bumper facias. I considered installing a roll bar with supports but I wanted to be able to display the model with the custom tonneau cover as well as the up-top and stock tonneau. Instead, I made a couple of roll hoops from solder to fit under the custom tonneau.

2023-08-06 11.20.01.jpg

• Like 6

Cool project, Phil! Great job. 😄

I saw one of these at Willow Springs and another at Coronado Island. The conversion is fairly straight forward and makes for an awesome machine. I'm doing something similar, but much more involved with my own TR4.

Edited by Hoffman
Phil is a cool Guy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Hoffman said:

Cool project, Phil! Great job. 😄

I saw one of these at Willow Springs and another at Coronado Island. The conversion is fairly straight forward and makes for an awesome machine. I'm doing something similar, but much more involved with my own TR4.

That is going to an awesome TR4. The Ford V-8 is likely no heavy than the inline sixes that eventually found their way in to TRs. I remember a Hot Rod magazine article about installed a 289 Ford into an Austin Healey. The Ford V-8 was 60 pounds lighter than the Ford V-8 which required the front end to be lowered.

6 hours ago, espo said:

Your conversion looks factory correct. The engine looks like it belongs there. The interior and all the other surfaces look great. 

5 hours ago, kelson said:

Very nice project, i remember hearing about these in the nineties,but never saw a real 1:1.

5 hours ago, SpikeSchumacher said:

That's awesome!

5 hours ago, bobss396 said:

I'm helping someone with a 5.3 LS swap Miata. We took the stock rear and gas tank out of it a few weeks back.

5 hours ago, floodstang said:

I want to build a real one. I have seen a few and the really are “Monsters”!

Do it. An LS might be the best way to go these days.

5 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Phil!

Very nice, and a good representation of the original, bravo!

I had two of those first gen MX5, and they were great to drive, even with the small 4. I can only imagine with a 302...

CT

I have had a third gen for 11 years and still love it. Had the top down today.

2 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Super nice job on that one Phil!😎 I have a 2013 PRHT, and the 2.0 gets me around plenty quick…but if the engine ever goes…?😬

I have a 2008 PRHT. Someday it might receive an electric transplant !!??

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Cool project and build Phil.  I'll bet the real one's are a blast to drive!!

They must sound great too!!

2 hours ago, Slotto said:

Yes Sir!

1 hour ago, PappyD340 said:

Very cool!

1 hour ago, Maindrian Pace said:

Very nice! I have wanted to build one of these for a long time as well, I have numerous Monogram Fox engines and a Tamiya curbside kit, so a bit of surgery is in order.

Go for it. If doing it again I would have mounted the V-8 lower in the engine compartment

42 minutes ago, carrucha said:

Neat build.  Looks good with the V-8.

Thanks everybody. It is nice to start a new year with a build that is well received.

Very cool! As you mentioned that was very popular back in the 90's.  Another popular conversion here is a rotary swap.

You did a great job in the conversion. I also dig that custom tonneau cover.

Thanks,
Ismael

9 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Very nicely done. There's nothing too obvious about what's been changed, and those similar-but-different wheels work really well.

7 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

5 hours ago, ismaelg said:

Very cool! As you mentioned that was very popular back in the 90's.  Another popular conversion here is a rotary swap.

You did a great job in the conversion. I also dig that custom tonneau cover.

Thanks,
Ismael

5 hours ago, 1hobby1 said:

Great build and swap! Very cool.

Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated