Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 Mille Miglia Mercedes 300SLR

Thank you, Pierre. Jason shared some of the photos with me. I agree, it's looking fantastic. Just by changing the knock-off and the finish of the wheel, they become infinitely appropriate for Mercedes, Maserati, Ferrari. The best part is, being 3D prints, the details are so fine, clean and consistent from batch to batch. Very much looking forward to hitting 'Buy Now'. 😃

Posted (edited)

Thank you all for the feedback. Jason will be starting on prototypes. I have also asked to produce two style of spinners for these. It should cover most needs.

Sorry about the french language on the slide, which is part of my exchange of communication with Jason.

Jantes Borrani JPEG.014.jpg

Edited by Pierre Rivard
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some work has been happening (slowly) and I did not take pictures so a bit of catching up required

Chassis has been assembled and painted

Interior has been completed. Seat patterns are from Indycal sheet. I added Instrument dial bezels (wrapped thin wire) and a turned metal shifter, then a bit of weathering to show some race use.

300SLR wip66.jpg

300SLR wip67.jpg

• Like 3

Engine elements pre assembled for test fittings (lots of these needed for this build) have been painted and I am now starting on the slow process of adding some detailing (water, oil and fuel lines).

Water feed to rad, I added some tape (painted black) and wrapped wire to simulate hose & clamp elements

Fuel distribution unit fabricated using styrene and 1,19mm brass tubes

Distributor to collector ignition wires have been added. Not very convincing but it will be mostly hidden low into the engine bay.

300SLR wip68.jpg

300SLR wip69.jpg

300SLR wip70.jpg

300SLR wip71.jpg

• Like 3

22 hours ago, MarkJ said:

So glad to see you are back on this one. It's going to be awesome.

Thanks Mark. I'm out of my comfort zone with this one so I'm trying to plan my steps a bit more. It's a chassis and engine design like no other I have seen before.

5 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Thanks for the update, Pierre! I always enjoy your wonderful work.

Thanks Daniel. I'm attempting a bit of engine detailing here. I don't know how you do that stuff...everything is so small!

Time to build the fuel manifold & feeds. Manifold is 8 stacked 1,19 mm brass tubes and the fuel feeds are made of 0.4mm wires (from Michael's jewelry section)

After the fuel distribution was done I was ready to install the engine into the partially pre assembled engine compartment structure. Planning the layering of components is required as dropping the engine into a fully built front end won't work. So engine install, then steering shaft, top of firewall, then top engine  compartment structure. Now I can proceed with adding the oil reservoir and more detailing.

300SLR wip72.jpg

300SLR wip73.jpg

300SLR wip74.jpg

300SLR wip75.jpg

• Like 6

15 hours ago, absmiami said:

I like the bends and shape of the fuel lines - fr Michaels ??  Would you pl post a pic of the package ? gracias .. 

One of them still has a label. The smaller rolls came as a lot and a bit thicker gauge (0.016") than the larger roll (0.013"). 

Artistic wire.jpg

• Like 1

We always forget something right. This time it was the drive shaft and everything is glued tight. The way this thing was layered assembled there was no going back. I cut the shaft in 3 pieces, inserted the pieces in and re-assembled in that tight space. Some paint touch ups have to be done after it has dried (see first pic).

The chassis and engine compartment are all done. My first attempt at a more elaborate detailing job and pretty happy with it. Some weathering has been incorporated to show a bit of oil and grime. I'll leave the engine compartment as is but I am considering adding some road dust & debris type weathering to the underside. This will be determined at the same time I decide if I go for a race weathered exterior body. 

300SLR wip76.jpg

300SLR wip77.jpg

300SLR wip78.jpg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Pierre, you have such a special talent for making everything look so real. Under the hood and the interior of this build are phenomenal.

Thank you Mark. Variation of the aluminium shades (by mixing in a touch of black or dark gray) to some of the parts and a liberal use of Vallejo oily earth wash has helped provide more realism to the engine and chassis. 

14 hours ago, Allan31 said:

Stunning work Pierre

Thank you Allan. Now on to the last phase of the build. Other than a few exterior trim pieces the big job is race weathering of the body. I'm still thinking about how to take on that task. Any advice will be welcome.

It is a shame the chassis and interior will be mostly hidden when the body goes on.  I do suggest you put the model on a mirror when you display it so others can get at least a glimpse of what you have accomplished.

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2024 at 1:35 PM, Pierre Rivard said:

Thank you all for the feedback. Jason will be starting on prototypes. I have also asked to produce two style of spinners for these. It should cover most needs.

Sorry about the french language on the slide, which is part of my exchange of communication with Jason.

Jantes Borrani JPEG.014.jpg

I'm gonna have to get a set of these for my Birdcage Maserati!

• Like 1