Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Oldsmobile 442 W-30

mrmike

Interesting!  I followed the instructions to the letter and even they are wrong.  They show the widest part at the top.  Thank you for pointing the error of my ways, or should I say the instructions ways.  I corrected the misleading valve covers and turned them around.  I looked at my '72 Hurst Cutlass Convertible and the valve covers are on the correct way with the wider section at the bottom.   

• Like 2

I was just wondering to myself the other day, I haven't seen anything recent from @mrmike - maybe he'll start a new project soon, I hope. , then I see no less than two W.I.P.'s here ! 

Not sure as to why I haven't pulled the trigger on getting one of these kits yet, especially since it's :
- One of my favourite cars (G.M. A-bodies in general, but esp. the Olds) 
- Transmission options 
- Wonderfully detailed

Definitely following, my good man !

I have been going through some sort of modeler's block.  I haven't felt like working on anything in a while.  I still have two other projects that need simple finishing and I haven't felt like working on them at all.  They'll get done!

• Like 1

I spent a little time on the 442 installing the front and rear suspensions. Then I painted the exhaust system with Tamiya XF-16 Flat Aluminum and Tamiya X-11 Chrome Silver. The chassis and suspensions will be painted the Tamiya TS-29 Semi Gloss Black.

W-3007.JPG

W-3008.JPG

W-3009.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Another color change as I seem to do this quite often. The color is Tamiya TS-21 Gold. This is close to the color of a 1972 Olds 442 that I saw being rebuilt on TV's Garage Squad S2 E1. I haven't decided on using the white or black stripes yet. The chassis is complete, but the engine needs to be finished.

W-3013.JPG

W-3014.JPG

W-3015.JPG

• Like 5

Thanks Greg and Mike!  I had originally gone with the green and then I watched Garage Squad Season 2 Episode 1 and saw the '72 442 in gold.  I just had to have it!  So, the new color of my '71 442 W-30 is Gold!  Now to figure out the interior color.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mrmike said:

Thanks Greg and Mike!  I had originally gone with the green and then I watched Garage Squad Season 2 Episode 1 and saw the '72 442 in gold.  I just had to have it!  So, the new color of my '71 442 W-30 is Gold!  Now to figure out the interior color.

Black😃

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrmike said:

Looking good Mike, you’re moving along!  Those Garage squad episodes will motivate me and gives me ideas.  Mike, I do apologize for calling you John.  We have known each other as loong time..

On 2/13/2024 at 1:08 AM, slusher said:

Looking good Mike, you’re moving along!  Those Garage squad episodes will motivate me and gives me ideas.  Mike, I do apologize for calling you John.  We have known each other as loong time..

We have known each other for quite a while, that's for sure!  No need to apologize.  I should have known, but never picked up on it like I should have.  I have watched all 8 seasons of Garage Squad and I have do have my favorites and they do motivate me when needed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, espo said:

That shade of gold was a popular color on GM cars from that era. Interesting, looks as if they left the convertible boot on the parts tree. 

This kit shares parts with the '72 Hurst/Olds Convertible.

8 hours ago, Sledsel said:

That gold looks sharp. I was kinda wondering about the green so you made a good change in my opinion.

I saw the Season 2 Episode 1 opener of Garage Squad were the Squad rebuilt a '72 Olds 442 from the ground up and it was gold with black stripes.  I want that color on my Olds 442!

Thanks Noah, David, Carl and Andy!