Model Cars Magazine Forum

I’m tired of blowing chunks!😡

I have had good luck with this Testors Aztek paint in the past. This time though, when using a previously opened container, I get little chunks of stuff on the surface with every coat.🤬 So I picked up this little AK strainer at a local hobby shop. It wouldn’t fit my Paasche H airbrush cup because of the little lip in at the top of the cup, so I modified it slightly. I have a couple of spare cups on order just in case I screwed it up.😬 I’m amazed at how much dried paint crud it filtered out. The paint is going on very nicely now!🙂

IMG_1568.jpeg

IMG_1569.jpeg

IMG_1554.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 4

when i worked in bodyshops we just used some new tights/nylons. I cant remember now what denier they were but we used to buy them by the case. we got about 30 strainers out of each leg. dont be tempted to use naural fabric ones, we need the men made ones to avoid fibres

also, on this side of the pond blowing chunks means violent vomitting

Edited by stitchdup
  • Haha 2

On 2/27/2024 at 9:11 PM, Camaro lover said:

Thanks for posting this. I’m going to look for those. I need every advantage I can find when using my airbrush.

You’re welcome!🙂

17 hours ago, Oldriginal86 said:

These were posted on here before and I wanted to get a few. I’ll have to look for them at my LHS. That’s a bunch of trash. I’m guessing dried up paint that fell back into the bottle?

Yeah, I was shocked by how much there was in there.😬

5 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Neat little gizmo!  Was unaware of this product.

It will save lots of expensive paints getting thrown away and I will certainly be investing in some of these.

So thanks for putting this thread up Greg.

You’re welcome!🙂

4 hours ago, stitchdup said:

when i worked in bodyshops we just used some new tights/nylons. I cant remember now what denier they were but we used to buy them by the case. we got about 30 strainers out of each leg. dont be tempted to use naural fabric ones, we need the men made ones to avoid fibres

also, on this side of the pond blowing chunks means violent vomitting

That’s what it means here too.😜

4 hours ago, David G. said:

Wow!

Is that old paint or is Testors QC just that poor now.

Either way, I'll have to have a look for these filters at my LHS.

Thanks for the tip Greg.

It is the discontinued Testors Aztek acrylic in the 2oz. bottles. It was a partly used bottle, so….dried paint particles.😕

IMG_1137.jpeg

IMG_1135.jpeg

• Like 2

David, we all get build up around the top edge  of a paint bottle or tinlet, so it is probably not generally a paint problem but how we clean and seal our paint bottles and tinlets after use that causes the problem.

I am as guilty as anyone else at neglecting this aspect of paint use, so those filters would be a saviour as far as I am concerned.

1 hour ago, customline said:

Greg, are these filters "cleanable"? The plastic housing may be a no-no for solvents like lacquer thinner or other hot solvents. Aztek is water base as well as AK paints, right? 

AK makes acrylic lacquer paints also, so I’m sure it won’t be harmed. Just to be sure, I tossed it in some pure lacquer thinner and I will let you know the results shortly.🙂

53 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

AK makes acrylic lacquer paints also, so I’m sure it won’t be harmed. Just to be sure, I tossed it in some pure lacquer thinner and I will let you know the results shortly.🙂

Oooo, I didn't mean for you to test it...hope it's OK 😯. I just wondered if it could be used over and over. I remember buying full size paper strainers from the body shop supply house that were throw-aways. Wouldn't that be nice if we had little ones? Hmmmm......

Edited by customline

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, customline said:

Oooo, I didn't mean for you to test it...hope it's OK 😯. I just wondered if it could be used over and over. I remember buying full size paper strainers from the body shop supply house that were throw-aways. Wouldn't that be nice if we had little ones? Hmmmm......

I guess all I had to do was read the back of the package.🤪 Soaking in lacquer thinner is having no effect on it. It won’t fit a small airbrush cup though. It measures 0.725” at the bottom and 0.92” at the top. It will sit on top of an airbrush paint jar.

IMG_1236.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

43 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

I guess all I had to do was read the back of the package.🤪 Soaking in lacquer thinner is having no effect on it. It won’t fit a small airbrush cup though. It measures 0.725” at the bottom and 0.92” at the top. It will sit on top of a airbrush paint jar.

IMG_1236.jpeg

I always get a kick out of instructions that were interpreted by a non-professional. 😄

I will attempt buying these purification cup only to prevent my clogging to paint with. 🙃

• Haha 1