Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell ‘41 Willys pro street

Decided to dig into this one. Not really deviating too much from the kit but I did also take some liberties. I narrowed it an additional 4.5mm to fit even wider meats out back. Reconfigured the rear suspension and used a Strange rearend from my parts box. K.S. Pittman kit has donated the door panels, roll bar and steering wheel. Wheels are from Texas 3D . Injector scoop, rear tires, arm rests, shifter and other little bits also sourced from my parts box. It’s going to be light-ish blue metallic ( Duplicolor GM light blue met. ) that in good light resembles Ford’s Brittany blue ( see spoon in photo ). The interior is going to be a slightly darker version of mopar burnt orange interior color. The project is still fluid so not all details are hammered out yet. 

075584B4-C889-4B0D-AA4B-F20FD89E163A.jpeg

C6279470-791F-48C0-81C4-AA6EC78FF497.jpeg

C0378FA5-12BB-4461-8A82-86D2950476DF.jpeg

67AAE5EF-EB29-43F3-A148-61C1845EBBFD.jpeg

0D05F29D-7E0B-4F05-97BE-C5CE92717299.jpeg

• Like 7

I’m liking where this is going so far. The kit rear tires are some of my favorite tires to use on other builds. I’ll be watching this one!! 👍🏻

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2024 at 9:31 AM, GoodbuildNY said:

Decided to dig into this one. Not really deviating too much from the kit but I did also take some liberties. I narrowed it an additional 4.5mm to fit even wider meats out back. Reconfigured the rear suspension and used a Strange rearend from my parts box. K.S. Pittman kit has donated the door panels, roll bar and steering wheel. Wheels are from Texas 3D . Injector scoop, rear tires, arm rests, shifter and other little bits also sourced from my parts box. It’s going to be light-ish blue metallic ( Duplicolor GM light blue met. ) that in good light resembles Ford’s Brittany blue ( see spoon in photo ). The interior is going to be a slightly darker version of mopar burnt orange interior color. The project is still fluid so not all details are hammered out yet. 

075584B4-C889-4B0D-AA4B-F20FD89E163A.jpeg

C6279470-791F-48C0-81C4-AA6EC78FF497.jpeg

C0378FA5-12BB-4461-8A82-86D2950476DF.jpeg

67AAE5EF-EB29-43F3-A148-61C1845EBBFD.jpeg

0D05F29D-7E0B-4F05-97BE-C5CE92717299.jpeg

That looks like a real cool kit. Better than their first one SWC back in 64. What is the engine Olds?

16 hours ago, Stanward VonDiederichs said:

That looks like a real cool kit. Better than their first one SWC back in 64. What is the engine Olds?

It’s the hemi that came with the kit with a few small tweaks. With this build I tried to pay homage to the history of the great willys of the past mixed with some of my favorite trends of hot rodding throughout the decades . For example the blue is a nod to the SWC car, the mild monochromatic look and weld rodlites a nod to the 80’s/90’s. The grill will be the one out of the Big John kit . Then the little touches to the body like opening up the front radius of both front and rear wheel openings and carrying the peak all the way up the hood to clean up and accentuate the lines, a nod to designers I admire like Troy Trepanier or Chip Foose.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoodbuildNY said:

It’s the hemi that came with the kit with a few small tweaks. With this build I tried to pay homage to the history of the great willys of the past mixed with some of my favorite trends of hot rodding throughout the decades . For example the blue is a nod to the SWC car, the mild monochromatic look and weld rodlites a nod to the 80’s/90’s. The grill will be the one out of the Big John kit . Then the little touches to the body like opening up the front radius of both front and rear wheel openings and carrying the peak all the way up the hood to clean up and accentuate the lines, a nod to designers I admire like Troy Trepanier or Chip Foose.

For the 1965 fall Nationals NHRA Doug cook from stone woods and cook came over to borrow the extra supercharger we had for the final against Big John. We were at the timing booth we just finished our race and one where I was able to watch stone woods beat Big John. We were running a simca sport 9 with a blown Chrysler in a four-speed hydro.

43 minutes ago, Stanward VonDiederichs said:

For the 1965 fall Nationals NHRA Doug cook from stone woods and cook came over to borrow the extra supercharger we had for the final against Big John. We were at the timing booth we just finished our race and one where I was able to watch stone woods beat Big John. We were running a simca sport 9 with a blown Chrysler in a four-speed hydro.

I love hearing about racing stories of that era as it was an amazing time for drag racing. The early 60’s through early 70’s in my opinion was the absolute best of the decades. I wasn’t born until mid 70’s so I missed much of it but flipping through my fathers old magazines and listening to he and his friends stories sure did paint a picture. Do you have any pics of the car or cars you ran back then?

28 minutes ago, GoodbuildNY said:

I love hearing about racing stories of that era as it was an amazing time for drag racing. The early 60’s through early 70’s in my opinion was the absolute best of the decades. I wasn’t born until mid 70’s so I missed much of it but flipping through my fathers old magazines and listening to he and his friends stories sure did paint a picture. Do you have any pics of the car or cars you ran back then?

The first photo is a photo of a Devon the guy that owns the simca retired it because they were closing that class and he didn't want to cut up the simca anymore than it is the car is too valuable as it is but the Devon was built to take the mayor of City of industry Sam Preparion record his AAM/SP class. The magazine cover that particular magazine if you can find one has a story and photos of the simca the roadster was my brother's. If you Google search for the freedom fighter Simca you may find more about it the Devon was stolen and never found.

10255396_10203946130842075_5879470189440033009_o.jpg

$_3.jpg

71e70d24f1d9c26c4f698e0c3dde118d.jpg

img097_20170205163749096.jpg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Stanward VonDiederichs said:

The first photo is a photo of a Devon the guy that owns the simca retired it because they were closing that class and he didn't want to cut up the simca anymore than it is the car is too valuable as it is but the Devon was built to take the mayor of City of industry Sam Preparion record his AAM/SP class. The magazine cover that particular magazine if you can find one has a story and photos of the simca the roadster was my brother's. If you Google search for the freedom fighter Simca you may find more about it the Devon was stolen and never found.

10255396_10203946130842075_5879470189440033009_o.jpg

$_3.jpg

71e70d24f1d9c26c4f698e0c3dde118d.jpg

img097_20170205163749096.jpg

I meant to tell you also are you familiar with this site; georgeklass.net he has a lot of photos and there'd be good for references or you might find something you want might want to build from his collection he's a nice guy. 

2 hours ago, Stanward VonDiederichs said:

I meant to tell you also are you familiar with this site; georgeklass.net he has a lot of photos and there'd be good for references or you might find something you want might want to build from his collection he's a nice guy. 

I checked out that site and wow… it definitely got me thinking for future builds. Absolutely loved it. Thank you for the recommendation!! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GoodbuildNY said:

I checked out that site and wow… it definitely got me thinking for future builds. Absolutely loved it. Thank you for the recommendation!! 

I've donated photos to him and sometimes used him with sites I'm a digger for old customs I remember drags remember and what other people are doing in other countries. Do you know what this is what kind of car?

pixlr.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stanward VonDiederichs said:

I've donated photos to him and sometimes used him with sites I'm a digger for old customs I remember drags remember and what other people are doing in other countries. Do you know what this is what kind of car?

pixlr.jpg

i've got a feature on that car but he builders previous car was cooler

• Like 1