Model Cars Magazine Forum

Propping open a hood for an Out-of-the-Box build?

I was looking at some Out-of-the-Box builds that were entered in some IPMS model shows over the last few years.  I saw a lot of closed hoods on kits that have engines and I also saw some hoods sitting next to vehicles to allow for viewing of the engines, but don't recall any that were propped open.  

Are you not allowed to prop up a hood for an Out-of-the-Box build if the kit doesn't supply hinges or a prop rod?  

I guess I was thinking you were allowed to use a piece of wire or toothpick or something without it being considered a customization or add-on which could get it moved out of the OOTB category.

I assume the host chapter has the final say, but I was curious what you've typically ran into. 

Most Out-of-Box model shows require only parts found in the box, hence the name. Most kits do provide some lumps of plastic that often look very much like a hood hinge. The trick would be to get them to hold the hood open without any other support if you're wanting to show off the engine with the hood attached to the body. Depending on the judge's interpretation of the rules even adding a toothpick or a wire of some sort would technically disqualify a model just like plug wire or added heater hoses or battery cables. 

how thick can you paint? on the hinges and holes they go into only. it might hold for one show  but would damage the paint when repositioned. maybe the hoods are off to let the judges get a closer look though as i dont think they would want to handle them too much

I really don't think that a prop to hold the hood open will disqualify box-stock model.  Something like a piece of wire or even a toothpick. It is not really a part of the model.  I would compare that to a stand which either elevates or tilts the model to better show off its undercarriage.  But you better ask the club which puts on the show to be 100% sure,

• Like 1

I see a lot of recommendations for sprue, and that seems reasonable to me since it's in the box, but I guess it would depend on who's in charge that day.  If they want to go the route of it's in the box but not in the instructions, then I guess anything would be out of bounds.  Otherwise maybe sprue or even permanently gluing the hood in an open position (supported while the glue dries and removal of support once stable) might be a viable option.

I plan to attend my first model show this weekend, so I'm going to take a close look and ask a few judges how they interpret the category.

Thanks for the replies, I'll let you know what I find out!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SDC said:

I see a lot of recommendations for sprue, and that seems reasonable to me since it's in the box, but I guess it would depend on who's in charge that day.  If they want to go the route of it's in the box but not in the instructions, then I guess anything would be out of bounds.  Otherwise maybe sprue or even permanently gluing the hood in an open position (supported while the glue dries and removal of support once stable) might be a viable option.

I plan to attend my first model show this weekend, so I'm going to take a close look and ask a few judges how they interpret the category.

Thanks for the replies, I'll let you know what I find out!

Just stretch a piece of sprue the correct thickness to be relatively thin for visual purposes, but strong enough to hold up the hood, paint it the color of your choice, and take it with you.

Once you're at the show, explain what it's made of and ask if it's acceptable to use.

If not, display with the hood on or off, just as everyone else in the category will be required to do.

This is one of the many reasons why I never compete in the "box stock" categories.

Too many little rules to consider.

I've won awards with basically box stock curbside builds in just the regular factory stock category.

Steve

In my opinion, if your model kit doesn't include a specific part to prop the hood open, then using an alternative like a wire or toothpick might be viewed as adding or modifying parts. Personally, I think this could lead to your model being disqualified from the Out-of-the-Box category. It's worth noting, though, that rules can vary greatly from one competition to another or between different organizing groups.

16 minutes ago, PhilipLeblanc said:

In my opinion, if your model kit doesn't include a specific part to prop the hood open, then using an alternative like a wire or toothpick might be viewed as adding or modifying parts. Personally, I think this could lead to your model being disqualified from the Out-of-the-Box category. It's worth noting, though, that rules can vary greatly from one competition to another or between different organizing groups.

That's why, in my opinion, a piece of stretched sprue, which is included in the kit, should be absolutely acceptable.

But, who knows.

That decision will be for the judges to decide.

Steve

• Like 1

To me you guys are all overthinking this and getting needlessly "creative".  There is only one answer to the question:

If entering the box-stock class in any judged contest, carefully read the contest rules for that class.  If it is unclear, go and ask some contest official at the day of the show.  Nobody's going to bite your head off.

For goodness sake, just take a toothpick as a hood prop with you and if they say "no" to using it, then display the hood sitting next to the car.  Geez!   Why make this into a federal case? :wacko:

38 minutes ago, peteski said:

To me you guys are all overthinking this and getting needlessly "creative".  There is only one answer to the question:

If entering the box-stock class in any judged contest, carefully read the contest rules for that class.  If it is unclear, go and ask some contest official at the day of the show.  Nobody's going to bite your head off.

For goodness sake, just take a toothpick as a hood prop with you and if they say "no" to using it, then display the hood sitting next to the car.  Geez!   Why make this into a federal case? :wacko:

We're just giving him ideas.

I don't know how that constitutes a "federal case".

The OP asked a question.

You could just give him a simple answer rather than try to make him feel like an idiot for asking.

Everything you said has been suggested.......only a little more tactfully.

Steve

• Like 1

Sorry, when IMO things get way "out there", I say what I thing.  The idea of stretching sprue to make sure the plastic came from the kit (to make sure it adheres to some not yet known box-stock rules) to me is really out-of-the-box thinking.

As I mentioned, each contest has specific rules for box-stock category and I'm not going to repeat what I already wrote. Seriously, before pondering the imponderable just the solution I posted in  my last post makes most sense.  Don't you think Steven?  Come on, tell the truth. It's a simple answer, and it doesn't make an idiot out of anybody.

Seems we have another 5-minnute epoxy thing going here.

Edited by peteski

2 minutes ago, peteski said:

The idea of stretching sprue to make sure the plastic came from the kit (to make sure it adheres to some not yet known box-stock rules) to me is really out-of-the-box thinking.

Takes all of 10 seconds to stretch a piece of sprue and would look a whole hell of a lot better than some big honking, ugly *ss tooth pick on the contest table.

I'm no judge, but a tooth pick would be an instant turn off for me when there are simple options available that show that a little more thought was involved.

6 minutes ago, peteski said:

As I mentioned, each contest has specific rules for box-stock category and I'm not going to repeat what I already wrote. Seriously, before pondering the imponderable just the solution I posted in  my last post makes most sense.  Don't you think Steven?  Come on, tell the truth. It's a simple answer, and it doesn't make an idiot out of anybody.

Correct.

It is a simple answer, and could have been offered without the petulant comments that accompanied it.

11 minutes ago, peteski said:

Seems we have another 5-minnute epoxy thing going here

Seems to me that it was going along quite well until someone decide to interject with sarcasm.

Steve

Geez Stephen, toothpick was just an example.  There are many things you can use to prop the hood.  Long sewing needle or even wire from straightened paper clip.  You should be able to figure it out.  We are beating that dead horse again.  Of course, you can have the last word if you so desire.

10 minutes ago, peteski said:

Geez Stephen, toothpick was just an example.  There are many things you can use to prop the hood.  Long sewing needle or even wire from straightened paper clip.  You should be able to figure it out.  We are beating that dead horse again.  Of course, you can have the last word if you so desire.

No, actually I think you were right Peter.

I think it would be a great look propping the hood open with a 2x4.

Perfect!

Steve

On 3/5/2024 at 12:42 PM, SDC said:

I was looking at some Out-of-the-Box builds that were entered in some IPMS model shows over the last few years.  I saw a lot of closed hoods on kits that have engines and I also saw some hoods sitting next to vehicles to allow for viewing of the engines, but don't recall any that were propped open.  

Are you not allowed to prop up a hood for an Out-of-the-Box build if the kit doesn't supply hinges or a prop rod?  

I guess I was thinking you were allowed to use a piece of wire or toothpick or something without it being considered a customization or add-on which could get it moved out of the OOTB category.

I assume the host chapter has the final say, but I was curious what you've typically ran into. 

For ease of answering the question that was asked, I went ahead and quoted Shawn.  Looking at the 2nd and 4th paragraphs(?), I have been to a lot, and I do mean a lot of shows, many of them IPMS shows.  I have judged many shows also, my club’s shows and I have been asked to help judge at IPMS shows. Fact is, I’ve already been asked to help judge at this coming Saturday’s IPMS show in Pittsburg, TriCon.  Not one single solitary time have I ever seen or heard of in the judges meetings prior to the actual judging, “be on the lookout for hood props!”  Honestly, shows are notoriously poorly lit and if you just prop open the hood the judges aren’t going to get that great of a view of the engine bay.  I would hazard a guess that it is easier and more advantageous to just remove the hood and lay it beside the car.

You asked what we have typically ran into and I answered your question.  I hope this helps.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 6:11 PM, peteski said:

But you better ask the club which puts on the show to be 100% sure

I'm a curious guy in general, so I've been wearing the poor guy out who listed his contact information on the show flyer, but he has been very nice and answered each question I've had so far.

I went ahead asked him about the hood propping as well, so I will probably get an official host club answer soon.

Thanks to everyone for the info and suggestions!

5 hours ago, SDC said:

I'm a curious guy in general, so I've been wearing the poor guy out who listed his contact information on the show flyer, but he has been very nice and answered each question I've had so far.

I went ahead asked him about the hood propping as well, so I will probably get an official host club answer soon.

Thanks to everyone for the info and suggestions!

Looks like you chose the most direct and most definitive route.  When in doubt - ask the organizers. Over the years I have attended multiple shows organized by different clubs and I observed that the contest rules for various classes vary a bit from club to club.  That is why it is the best to get direct answers and not depend on anecdotal information in an online forum (which included some interesting and creative ideas for propping up that hood).

As for poor lighting John has mentioned, yes that can be a case too (where hood off the model would be the best option), but I have also seen judges using mini-flashlights to closely examine model interiors or engine compartments.  Like I mentioned, every contest is slightly different.

Edited by peteski

Well, I received an answer (in blue).  It seems like they are very laid back, and many of you were spot on with your recommendations. 😀

Lol, the debate of the century...
Depends...
you can have the hood open, closed, on the table next to it.  Just realize if open, everything is judged.  Can't scratch build parts or add wires.  The best thing to do is lay the hood next to the car.  That is what I've seen at other shows.
Try not to over think as we're pretty laid back about things.  Some car clubs or car shows are pretty strict about stuff, but we try not to.  As long as you try to meet the intent of the category, we're happy.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe, if you really really want a prop-rod, you could stretch a piece of sprue from the kit without violating the spirit of the rules...

I haven't read the whole thread, so if somebody's already suggested that...well...doh.

• Haha 1