Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1967 Chevelle SS 396

karbuildr

This is the 1990 issue (new tooling at that time) 67 SS Chevelle in Bolero Red. Let me start off by offering a biased opinion. If you want a 67 Chevelle for your collection, do yourself a favor and get the Revell kit. It's infinitely better than this kit. Absolutely nothing fits right on this kit. Which is a shame because it has very good detail in most areas. The suspension, both front and back, assembles more like a 4x4 than an automobile. I actually assembled the entire chassis before I realized how high this thing sits. I had to tear apart all the suspension pieces, modify them as much as I could to get it where it is now. And it's still too high. I remember I cut down the coil springs in the rear, reversed the front spindles, and probably some other mods I don't recall. I partially built it about 10 years ago. It sat in it's box for a long time before I finally finished it last year. One can lose interest when a kit is this problematic. The kit had no decals at all, maybe a couple license plates and that's it. No body scripts, engine compartment decals, interior, nada. Later issues may have a better decal sheet but I can't verify that. The engine is a very nice rendition of a big block 396. It was airbrushed GM 1967 Bolero Red over light grey primer and Tamiya TS-13 Clear, then polished. I built it with a non standard tan interior. Ultimately it looks ok but the lack of body scripts takes away from it's appearance.

DSCN0643a.jpg

DSCN0644a.jpg

DSCN0645a.jpg

DSCN0647a.jpg

DSCN0652a.jpg

DSCN0653a.jpg

• Like 12

I'm going to add to your review and say get the Street Burner version from Revell.  The other versions do not have the decals for the emblems either.  I'm still looking for some to pop up on eBay.  A friend got me the older kit as a Christmas present and I need the decal sheet with the badging.  Looks good though.

Even with all of the problems you encountered, the finished model looks great. The paint finish looks nice and smooth, and the under-hood area is detailed cleanly. 

21 hours ago, Hard_2_Handle_454 said:

I'm going to add to your review and say get the Street Burner version from Revell.  The other versions do not have the decals for the emblems either.  I'm still looking for some to pop up on eBay.  A friend got me the older kit as a Christmas present and I need the decal sheet with the badging.  Looks good though.

Another issue of the Revell kit that I built and posted previously had the slightly lowered suspension, custom wheels and tires and contained body scripts, engine call-outs and body side stripes on the decal sheet. According to Scalemates, that issue was released in 2004 and was called  California Wheels. That would be another version to try to find if possible. 

1 minute ago, Yeah Nah said:

In spite of the wall of resistance you were up against you ended up with a very decent looking model David. 

Thank you Garry. This one tried my patience for sure.

• Like 1

You still managed to get a great looking build, with all of your extra effort. That red & tan look great together! I almost picked up a "California Wheels" version at Saturday's MDA show. Another vendor had the "Street-burner" version. You can still find the original Blue molded version for $5-$10 at a show/swap meet.