Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pontiac Rally 2 Wheels w/Trim Rings. These have never been made?

I am searching for wheels like the below. I have been searching high and low, but have not been able to found them on any of my kits or any of the kits from that era. Surely some kit has these?

IMG_0464.jpeg

Not in my shop at the moment, but my guess would be that most Pontiac kits from 1968 into the mid 70s would have the Rally 2 wheels.

Pretty certain that the old MPC ‘69 Firebird/ Trans Am kit had them, as well as the Monogram’70 Trans Am, although I believe that kit is a 1/24th scale kit, as is the Monogram ‘69 GTO.

Take a look at the newly released Round-2 ‘68 GTO, or pretty much any Firebird or GTO kit from ‘68 on.

My opinion?

Order a set from Fireball Modelworks as Mike suggested.

Knowing Fireball’s products, they’re going to be better than anything that you’re going to find in a kit anyway.

He offers sets with, or without the trim rings.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1

I took a set from an MPC '72 GTO, separated the center from the rim from the centers by grinding from behind with my Dremel.

Then I did the same thing with the M.P. Spider wheels that come in the '80 T/A kit and combined the GTO centers with the T/A wheel rims.

image.png.ebbb2cc96031586ea18007083f30352a.png

image.png.5f5a9df23fdf5bc6ece260400e487ae7.png

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice everyone. Does anyone happen to have pictures of Chiefs or Scale Equipments wheels on their models? I just want to get an idea of the size and offset.

Fireball's are done in 14 and 15" sizes. Your choice. They are spectacular. I used Round2 parts pack redlines, they look more vivid than the photos depict. Honestly can't remember which spray chrome I used on the trim rings; Molotow or AK most likely, not sure I had Revell Chrom yet when this was build last summer. These are older original run Fireball Rally's, they've been completely revised. Need to order more.

2v2etB8FnxvKa6.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 5:43 PM, NOBLNG said:

Would these be the ones?IMG_1349.jpeg.65a8e571742c6d243b453910b148302f.jpeg
IMG_1351.jpeg.f9b622c033ca37e2bc076c1b03a0bea1.jpeg

Honestly I think this kit has been cursed by Revell's small wheel syndrome. There are still kit designers that don't know that the tire retaining ring is a visible 1-1.5", sometimes more, sometimes less than the listed diameter which is where the tire's bead meets the wheel. Worse is most models look more natural by making them +1's. This kit has -1's Good thing Fireball knows this. If you want an OEM appearance and not teeny, tiny wheels with enormous sidewalls, it's either your parts box or the aftermarket that can fix it. Troubling is how many modelers just don't see, care or notice the discrepancy. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Zoom Zoom said:

Fireball's are done in 14 and 15" sizes. Your choice. They are spectacular. I used Round2 parts pack redlines, they look more vivid than the photos depict. Honestly can't remember which spray chrome I used on the trim rings; Molotow or AK most likely, not sure I had Revell Chrom yet when this was build last summer. These are older original run Fireball Rally's, they've been completely revised. Need to order more.

2v2etB8FnxvKa6.jpg

Thanks Zoom.

I noticed your trim ring looks slightly different compared to Perspective Custom’s above. Are yours 14” or 15”?

2 hours ago, Hawk312 said:

Thanks Zoom.

I noticed your trim ring looks slightly different compared to Perspective Custom’s above. Are yours 14” or 15”?

IIRC 15" and they are the first iteration/generation of Fireball's rally 2 wheels. He has since completely updated/reconfigured the design, the original trim rings look more like a separate rim edge, not a trim ring. The new wheels are altogether better.