Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pre-Paint check for Imperfections

After or during priming and getting ready to paint what is the best was to cehck for imperfection . They are always amplified when the finish or clear coat is on. This is especially when you are doing some body work with putty. Any thing you guys do?

Primer, lots of light, and magnification. 
The neutrality of grey primer makes it particularly well suited for inspection of flaws and previous repairs, easier to read than white or black. It will show everything you need to see. Apply primer and examine thoroughly (with light and magnification), noting imperfections. Then lightly sand with a fine abrasive (preferably block sanding), clean, and inspect again. Address all issues and repeat. 

For inspection of heavy body mods, especially those that required a lot of filler, use the guide-coat method. This requires two colours or shades of primer. Apply one colour, once dry apply a light coat of the second colour. Then block sand the area, low spots/high spots will be revealed in the contrasting colours/shades. 

Edited by Bainford
  • Like 1

I got some really good advice from a builder once that did a lot of heavy mods and such...... He said the best way to see how your work will look painted is to put on a light coat of paint! Usually swelling and ghosting only show after the paint is applied.... Putting on a LIGHT coat of paint will show what needs to be fixed.....

Edited by JollySipper

28 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

...Usually swelling and ghosting only show after the paint is applied...

I have to disagree with that.

If you're shooting lacquer primer, swelling and ghosting will most definitely show.

This Revell '50 Olds hood swelled and ghosted badly after removing the peak and blocking out some divots (white areas).

image.png.aa0d8b1e52d4190fc7743a5e0341d24a.png

Re-primering, sanding, primering, sanding...until nothing came up produced this when I laid color on it:

image.png.5eac2dda16fb6b6b601e1533793108cf.png

• Like 1

All great tips ! Thanks. Yes I find priming, sanding , inspecting with magnification, filling and keep repeating seems the way to go. I find my hardest part is on curved surfaces.

I really do not see as well as I used to (cataracts...) and imperfections are getting past me and into the final paint. So I do the prime, check it with a bright desk light. Sometimes I have to view it from 2.. or more...different directions to find the flaws.

• Like 1

I use two lights as well as primer, w'n'd, repeat. my two lights are different types from different directions also, one incandescant and the other is an led. I prefer the incandescant bulb for finding flaws, the leds are just a bit too bright and tend to fill the depressions/flaw with light more making it harder to see shadows. dont discount your sense of touch too, your fingers are more sensetive than you think

Edited by stitchdup
  • Like 2

I have an LED desk type lamp that is very bright. Anything I scrape the mold lines off I look at closely. Funny thing on round-ish parts like roll cages and axle tubes, from one direction it looks 110% smooth, look at it from 180 degrees and I see a ridge that will catch a fingernail.

• Like 1