Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mazda 767B "1992 JSPC" (Hasegawa, 1/24 scale)

Hi there,

I'd like present my latest build, a slightly different version of the 1991 Le Mans winning car.

After the demise of Group C, some Japanese vehicles continued to be used in the JSPC national endurance championship in 1992.
The special thing about this vehicle with starting number 3 was that it was not powered by the usual Mazda rotory engine, but by a 3.5 liter Cosworth DFR V8.
The biggest visual difference of this vehicle is the large air scoop on the engine.

As usual, Hasegawa's kit is relatively simple. The decals were very thick and stiff and at the same time they tore very quickly. When applying the large decal on the engine hood, a lot of patience, softener and, last but not least, touch-up work was required.

The kit is lacking window maskings which should be criticized too, as nowadays this should be a standard feature for a current kit release. 

The body was painted in Rosso Corsa by Multona, covered with 1K clearcoat from the can.

For the rims (which were included in the kit in bare white plastic) I used Revell chrome spray for the first time . Unfortunately, the stuff is pretty expensive, but it's also by far the best "chrome product" I've come across so far... :rolleyes: 

IMG_1531.thumb.JPG.a7e50b4b486ba59ac6e0675e58b90e08.JPG

IMG_1533.thumb.JPG.b02ca67cbab286bd84b1cbca24469c23.JPG

IMG_1534.thumb.JPG.5fcbf053a5b77fd405d36549fca12f07.JPG

IMG_1520.thumb.JPG.372457a0d8183a279d0afc7648e29c62.JPG

IMG_1522.thumb.JPG.5fa2591a5368edfdd1c879ef7d01b7e1.JPG

IMG_1523.thumb.JPG.5bb0ed6700d98f6b4269906f736f3ab3.JPG

IMG_1524.thumb.JPG.1babe2eb27d402e10c1a03a53e7084e2.JPG

IMG_1527.thumb.JPG.ea3ebc1faf26a7f576d639ead1d8ccfb.JPG

IMG_1528.thumb.JPG.420ac8281c65b802c9252ca4a2ee7e84.JPG

• Like 13

Thomas, Wow. So clean it looks 1:1. One of the best builds I have witnessed here lately. Excellence abounds with this model. Thanks for posting it for us mere mortals to view.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MarkJ said:

I tried to get some of that Revell Chrome. Where did you get yours from? Everybody I found was out of stock. Very popular stuff.

Sorry to hear about that. Looks like it’s not yet that popular over here in Germany. It’s readily available in most webshops. Myself,  I got some cans rather cheap at the ROG works sale in November.

Thanks for the reply. Maybe someday it will be more readily available over here in the states. I guess I will have to just keep on trying to find it. I did some recent wheels lately with Alclad II chrome but it just doesn't have the superior chrome look about it that the Revell Chrome does. The wheels on your build look amazing.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MarkJ said:

I did some recent wheels lately with Alclad II chrome but it just doesn't have the superior chrome look about it that the Revell Chrome does. The wheels on your build look amazing.

Yes, it's hard for me to imagine one could achieve the same or similar results using Alclad II chrome. Plus using it is a work-intensive, super-sensitive process. One bit of spray too much and it looks like aluminium instead of chrome, and all you can do is strip off the paint, black base coat and primer that you had to apply in the first steps... So far I have been using Molotow chrome as an alternative, but the looks of the Revell stuff is even better.