Model Cars Magazine Forum

Not to be annoying,……but

..Not to be annoying.Ok,so by now we all know we are having a partial,or nearly full solar eclipse tomorrow 🥱😴Yea,thrilling.🙄So of course by now,every store is completely sold out on those stupid glasses.Its impossible because every store with in a 40 mile radius,are out of them,or never got them..Thats fine,I understand,whatever.But my four year old is tossing a fit cause he can’t look at the sun.Sorry,it was a busy week.So,what I’am asking and I googled it,but I’m asking..How can you make glasses with stuff around the house.PM me if you want,not to drag this out too long.Then the moderators can go ahead and delete the post.Ok,thanks all.”

Edited by NYLIBUD

Don't risk making your own glasses.  Welding masks aren't dark enough.

Official solar eclipse glasses use filter material that is certified for this use.

https://rochestereclipse2024.org/safe-solar-viewing-methods/

Also note that the sun will damage unprotected cameras (including cell phones).

Edited by Brian Austin

11 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

Also note that the sun will damage unprotected cameras (including cell phones).

I cannot wait to see the mass amounts of people/influencers that will be complaining about this over the next few days.

• Haha 1

I'm not using my glasses. I made a couple of box viewers. I gave one to a nurse where I had my infusion.

Cut a 1" hole in one end of the box. Cover with foil and punch a small hole in it.

On the inside wall opposite that, tape a piece of white paper, this will be the projection screen.

On the side I made a flap where I'll be looking in. I figure I can close it a bit if need be.

Lastly, close up the box bottom. Both worked well, I may mess around with the pin hole size.

IMG_20240408_094246_413.jpg

IMG_20240408_094246_261.jpg

20240408_095719.jpg

• Like 1

My wife and I just went out on the patio to see the eclipse. We're just west of the KC Metro area and not getting the total darkness, but interesting all the same. We have been told to expect something along the 80% - 90% range. The brightness in the back yard is sort of like an overcast day, but looking thru the glasses we can see that the sun is pretty well covered by the moon. No Werewolves were sighted. 

• Like 1

I was in the path of totality in Ohio. What an experience, watch what was a day pass in four minutes. Light sensitive lights came on, Birds sang their night songs, the frog starting there night song, temperature dropped and then it started getting brighter, birds stopped, frogs stopped, lights went out, Crazy, something that I will never experience again. Anyone interested in some used eclipse glasses?

greg

• Like 1

We were total, just south of dayton oh. Tried to get pics but at the last few seconds my camera started going in and out of focus. 😡Got a few decent pics anyway

IMG_2108.JPG.c188257e1c91cc40f9008614bea86302.JPGIMG_2111.JPG.af6636b6b87c34276dec5ff86c302467.JPGIMG_2134.JPG.5be227d834e1ef0665c494a08aaf2cd2.JPGIMG_2133.JPG.da7c2a1da3a14783dd71147640892327.JPGIMG_2144.JPG.1ef02231272f106f87f27437d15024fa.JPGIMG_2142.JPG.c92278b4e6ad9225dbd16cc5758474f3.JPGIMG_2141.JPG.26581b3af4772b30edb76d11fa381089.JPGIMG_2140.JPG.82844ae6c2d4cca3fbe0c624e5f31f5e.JPG

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Tim08 said:

We were total, just south of dayton oh. Tried to get pics but at the last few seconds my camera started going in and out of focus. 😡Got a few decent pics anyway

Great pictures Tim!😎 we were only partial here and it was cloudy. I made a box viewer but it was less than impressive.😕

Those pics are awesome. I'm in Westchester county, NY. About 50 miles north of NYC. We had 90% of totality. It got real quite and the light seemed like it was filtered. Pretty cool

A little late to the discussion, but if you have a pin vice and some tiny bits, as modelers tend to have, drill a hole in the bottom of a coffee can, or other large can, to make a pinhole projector.  Cut a hole in the lid and tape some paper across it for a screen.  For a larger image, cut the bottom out of a second or third can, and duct tape them all together.

Posted (edited)

Well I gotta say,from my point of view here on LI,it sucked.Clouds rolled in,never really got any darker..And yea that cereal box were my glasses..Only thing i could make it under 10 seconds.Idk,I was hoping for a better view,oh well.👎

IMG_0976.jpeg

IMG_0987.jpeg

Edited by NYLIBUD

2 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

I was in the path of totality in Ohio. What an experience, watch what was a day pass in four minutes. Light sensitive lights came on, Birds sang their night songs, the frog starting there night song, temperature dropped and then it started getting brighter, birds stopped, frogs stopped, lights went out, Crazy, something that I will never experience again. Anyone interested in some used eclipse glasses?

greg

Agree 100%. 

We were just outside the zone to experience the total eclipse so I travelled the 20 miles to get inside. Where I was we had approx. a minute, twenty seconds of darkness. What really struck me was how light it was with 99% of the sun covered. You really have to get inside that zone of totality for the full experience of darkness.

Edited by imarriedawitch
  • Like 1

Thankfully my brother had a spare pair of glasses and lives only a few towns away so last night I ran over and grabbed them. 

I did also make a pinhole box, and also improvised a paper plate pinhole viewer.  Both worked, and were fun to experience, but neither netted wonderful photos.

IMG_1445 copy.jpg

• Like 1

It did get breezy for a while around 3, I read that this may happen. The street lights did come on. I went out a few times after to look with the glasses and box viewers. I didn't see anyone else outside.

Out on the road earlier, the parkways had electronic signs saying not to stop on the shoulder to view the eclipse...

Fella walked by my house yesterday during the event with an open umbrella over his head.

Guess he didn't want to get exposed to any of the deadly eclipse rays.

I couldn't tell if it was tinfoil-lined.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have seen several my first in grade school on the playground using a cardboard box.

Our daughter-in-law in Indiana heard all the hype on how animals would react.

Cats slept through it the dogs lazed around like nothing was happening and her chickens kept roaming the yard pecking at bugs and grass in the yard.

The squirrel kept trying to climb the snlinky on the bird feeder post.

Nothing unusual at all.

Their kids all had glasses supplied by their school and came home saying it was kind of boring. LOL