Model Cars Magazine Forum

DeTomaso P70 scratch build

I'm  pretty deep into a 1/24 design on this famous car.  It has been on and off the workbench for about 4 years.  The difficulty in capturing the complex shape and figuring how to make a workable/buildable model have stopped me cold several times.

1280px-1965_De_Tomaso_P70_Medardo_e_Alejandro.png.7fcb3d8c08255565372af93dbc5f638b.png

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

Have you considered using the surprisingly proportionally accurate Tamiya 1/24th slot car body/curbside kit as a starting point?

Well, I probably would have saved a ton of work.  Unfortunately I didn't know that it existed.  I will continue to press forward with my home made version.

This is my latest design fot the car.  It's certainly not perfect, but I believe it's pretty darn close. It's also a printable and buildable model. P70rearbodyopen.jpg.8e6b2235286379a00eb40d218e5f9e02.jpgp70closed.png.9fcf93357c39245e2edbc78cb1955e18.pngP70interiordetailsv96.png.213dd9297143569fce3b6564f8a99523.png

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bilingham said:

With the supports removed, the body looks pretty good.  The resin is semi transparent, but the body is quite thin as well.  I keep my 1/24 scale car bodies 1mm thick.

I recall speaking with you at one of the ACME events, and remember the 1mm reference. 

I've done a lot of work developing methods to make 1/24-1/25 fiberglass parts down around .020"-.030", but to be able to print at 1mm would be a fantastic game changer for me.

The question is whether I'll ever invest the effort to develop the capability....but your work sure is inspiring.  :)

• Thanks 1

You are one talented individual Bill.  If this is where "modeling" is going I'd say it has a bright future indeed.  This type of creativity and excellence should excite anyone young enough and ambitious enough to learn the skills to do that.......marry it will some basic fabrication skills and the sky is the limit.   Congrats, a big fan!  cheers, tim

• Thanks 1

This project was very difficult for me.  I just couldn't get the body to a satisfactory look, and I couldn't figure how to support the rear body section when it flips open.  The body was revised at least 10 times, and the body opening was solved with a soldered brass support the mates with the resin structure.  The P70 is now cruising forward with almost all parts printing and working well.

21 minutes ago, Bilingham said:

Hours of computer time? Hundreds of hours.

This is a fascinating project of yours Bill . . . As one other member commented, I think the resin body print result, still on the supports, looks really good . . . The 3D resin printer that you have is impressive, and well worth the purchase price I would imagine. You can be confident that you will be able to produce an accurate model from this design, and of course this will take many man hours to achieve, so Good Luck  !

David

• Like 1

Here is a print of the chassis.  It is all printed in a single piece except for the tubular brass support for the rear body section.  Although all of this CAN be printed in a single piece, in the long run it makes sense to print components like the coil over shocks as separate pieces so they may be optimised in printing and more easily painted.P2053625.JPG.f3ee407c81d3f9f69f35b25fe412c1f4.JPGP2053626.JPG.858467bed20f1e94cec5e1fa4452948d.JPG

• Like 4