Model Cars Magazine Forum

First ‘49 Merc😎

NOBLNG

This was such a nice kit to build.! Everything fits nice and has good locating points…except for the sidepipes.🥴 I was beginning to destroy the paint on the rockers by attempting to attach them with CA. I may try again with some epoxy? The bottom half is painted with Testors Blazing Black, and the top half is nail polish, separated by a custom .030” half round molding. All topped with Mr.Hobby clear. The Ford hubcaps and beauty rings are from the Revell ‘32 Deuce. Thanks for lookin’ !🙂

IMG_1864.jpeg

IMG_1862.jpeg

IMG_1860.jpeg

IMG_1855.jpeg

IMG_1853.jpeg

IMG_1851.jpeg

IMG_1848.jpeg

IMG_1790.jpeg

IMG_1789.jpeg

• Like 13

Very good! I have a stalled one I have to get back to.

On side pipes,  I make up "J" hooks and attach them to the inside of the body or the chassis. I use .010" thick aluminum flashing. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind remarks guys! I bought this kit shortly after getting back into the hobby and it was real low priority for me, until I came across the community build thread. Thanks for tempting me David G!🙂 I just might get me another one now.🤔

Beautiful color combination and paint, clean and tight build, and a great stance.

It's everything a custom Mercury should be!

If you still plan on attaching the side pipes you may wish to consider using some PVA canopy glue. I find myself using it in such instances as the one you described. It works well for attaching light-weight nonstructural parts. And it does so without much chance of marring the paint finish.

It takes longer to cure but holds fast once it does.

David G.

• Thanks 2

Very nice sled there Greg, the Revell kit is a good one. Using the half round for trim is what I have done on a couple of my builds, it looks great. Great colour combo on yours and the wheels give it that old school touch. Well done. 

Cheers, 

David. 😎👍

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the compliments everyone! I see now why these cars, and this kit in particular, are so popular. As David said in the community build thread…if you haven’t built one yet, you should.😎