Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Detomaso Pantera 1/24

vamach1

I built this kit as part of a build a foreign kit challenge.  The kit is typical for the era with a motor and unlike some of the other makes this was had the option of working headlight and taillights.  I had built one decades ago and it was looking kinda sad with the decals flaking.  I used the chassis from the first one and did a little more detail painting.  Unfortunately the kit decals were too old to be used so I decided to just go with the grabber green paint.  The kit came with GTS type wider fenders but I did not glue them on.  I did remove the front side marker lights and hand painted front and rear ones.  I contemplated a future restoration of the yellow one but I realized the kit dash had gotten lost somewhere so unless I find it that one I will serve as a spare parts car.

IMG_2141.jpeg

IMG_2142.jpeg

IMG_2143.jpeg

IMG_2144.jpeg

IMG_2145.jpeg

IMG_2135.jpeg

IMG_2134.jpeg

IMG_2146.jpeg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Interesting model and interesting color.  Really like those wheels and tires. Did they come with the kit?  Good job Rex.

Thanks Rich.  The wheels were in the kit and pictures I found indicate they were optional ones with a unique GTS center cap.  I had originally painted the kit a standard Testors green but it just did not pop like the non-factory grabber green.

IMG_2148.jpeg

IMG_2149.jpeg

IMG_2150.jpeg

IMG_2125.jpeg

2 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Thanks Rich.  The wheels were in the kit and pictures I found indicate they were optional ones with a unique GTS center cap.  I had originally painted the kit a standard Testors green but it just did not pop like the non-factory grabber green.

IMG_2148.jpeg

IMG_2149.jpeg

IMG_2150.jpeg

IMG_2125.jpeg

Rex...thanks for the extra pictures and the explanation. Those wheels really are sharp. An interesting story for you. One year we camped at the Watkins Glen Vintage and found ourselves   in  the middle of the Pantera Club of the USA. There were about 30 members there and just as many cars.  The cars were awesome. Those guys were very cool and we partied with them well into the night.  I asked the president of the club an interesting question, If I owned a Mangusta could I get in their club. The answer was ...sure...but I would be the only one. Later the next day I spotted two Mangustas and one of them was for sale. Alas...it was way out of my budget. Got a pic of one of them somewhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Rex...thanks for the extra pictures and the explanation. Those wheels really are sharp. An interesting story for you. One year we camped at the Watkins Glen Vintage and found ourselves   in  the middle of the Pantera Club of the USA. There were about 30 members there and just as many cars.  The cars were awesome. Those guys were very cool and we partied with them well into the night.  I asked the president of the club an interesting question, If I owned a Mangusta could I get in their club. The answer was ...sure...but I would be the only one. Later the next day I spotted two Mangustas and one of them was for sale. Alas...it was way out of my budget. Got a pic of one of them somewhere.

Cool story.  I wish there was a reasonable priced Mangusta kit but that is like hoping there would ever be a Pantera kit with an engine.  With only 400 Mangustas made they are a rare sighting.  I have seen one in Miami and three Panteras.

IMG_2949.jpeg

IMG_2761.jpeg

Nice job on the Pantera, my dream car for many years. Bought that kit on a whim... never got around to it. I do have a few of the Airfix small-fender cars, and one of the GTS wide fender, still sorting what to do with them. 

• 4 weeks later...