Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any news/rumors of what Round2's gonna reissue for 2025? Here's my list.

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

Straight reissue of the Flareside (decals notwithstanding).

Well, Still nice to have another "New"-ish Pick up. I like the AMT F-150 Kits. They build nicely and Look Sharp when done.

27 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Well, Still nice to have another "New"-ish Pick up. I like the AMT F-150 Kits. They build nicely and Look Sharp when done.

It seemed to be a given that the Flareside still existed in some form since the first batch of the Lightning kits accidentally got run with the Flareside's narrow tailgate. I still have an unbuilt original, but it's tempting to cash that out to someone who doesn't know the reissue is coming to get the new one with with an actual decal sheet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldcarfan said:

With Round 2 reissuing the early 70s Chevy/GMC trucks, I wonder if they still have the tooling for the Cooter's Wrecker bed? That could make for a fun build.

With Moebuis bringing out the F-350 Wrecker, now would be a great time for Round2 to bring back the Cooter Wrecker!  It is a nice little Medium Duty unit that would look great on the '78 Dodge, the '72 Chevy/ GMC or even the '61 Chevy!

• Like 2

Best speculation IMO are line extensions of the new-tool Charger and Bronco. They go together very well, leverage existing license agreements and have good market momentum behind them. They are can't-lose product, easy sell through the channels right this moment... if it is NOT in the plan, I'd be shocked.

I'm following that with a wild guess - some sort of current Jeep Wrangler, or a Ram pickup. Either one would be a smash. 

Given the heat in the older truck segment, I think they would be very wise to look at a 2WD re-release of the annual Squarebody (c. '78/9?) that would have a very minimal tooling investment to bring a very rare  kit back to market.  A 2wd/4wd similar to the AMT '76 Ford "Super Stone" would be welcome, and a great seller. 

Long ball from the black tees: MPC '66 Bonneville HT.  I know Steve G. is a Pontiac guy, and if anyone can dig this one out and make it shine, he can. He seemed to downplay the Galaxie speculation a while ago. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ragtop Man said:

Long ball from the black tees: MPC '66 Bonneville HT.  I know Steve G. is a Pontiac guy, and if anyone can dig this one out and make it shine, he can. He seemed to downplay the Galaxie speculation a while ago. 

Would love to have a retooled improved '66 Bonnie, but the big question will be, how well would kits of full size American coups like this one, or the 67 Galaxie perform, compared to what seems the American gold standard, meaning the Chevy Impala.

Edited by Luc Janssens

4 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Would love to have a retooled improved '66 Bonnie, but the big question will be, how well would kits of full size American coups like this one, or the 67 Galaxie perform, compared to what seems the American gold standard, meaning the Chevy Impala.

The 67 Galaxie would do well.  Steve G stated on one of the recent topics that more builders have been requesting 67 Galaxie kit over other subjects.   Who knows how it will play out.  For all we know it's probably under developement as we speak.

31 minutes ago, GMP440 said:

The 67 Galaxie would do well.  Steve G stated on one of the recent topics that more builders have been requesting 67 Galaxie kit over other subjects.   Who knows how it will play out.  For all we know it's probably under developement as we speak.

Let us hope!

Cheers

Let the record show that I am a full size (B-Body) Pontiac guy. I have owned multiple 65-69 Pontiac B-bodies over the last 30+ years and I still have a garnet red 69 428 Bonneville convertible. The only kit I would like to see more than a 66 Bonneville is a 67 Bonneville (or a 2+2).

With my business hat on I think a 67 Galaxie would sell better than a 66 Bonneville.

An interesting option:

Round2 could attempt to purchase the Hasegawa tooling for the 66 Bonneville (and 66 Cadillac). The Hasegawa kit needs improvement (interior, chassis, interior and interior 😊), but the body is a fairly nice copy of the original MPC body.

All Round2 has to do is clone an MPC '66 Bonneville kit.  No need to do anything with the Hasegawa version. 

A '65 Wildcat or a '64 Grand Prix, Bonneville or Wildcat, could be cloned from an original kit and sell very well.

• Like 1

My thought on Round2 buying Hasegawa's tooling is that could involve a lot less capitol and resource time than a clone tool.

I would rather have a readily available but flawed 66 Bonneville than hold out for a clone 66 Bonneville that my never come.

1 hour ago, Carmak said:

My thought on Round2 buying Hasegawa's tooling is that could involve a lot less capitol and resource time than a clone tool.

I would rather have a readily available but flawed 66 Bonneville than hold out for a clone 66 Bonneville that my never come.

While this entire thread is largely speculative, It's highly improbable that Round2 would even consider approaching another manufacturer regarding the purchase of tooling that is basically a cheap knock-off of old AMT, Jo-Han, and MPC promo bodies. The Hasegawa "1966" kits lack the crispness of the kits from which they were copied, and are all equipped with the same crude generic interior and chassis/floorpan assembly.  Given the amount of tooling required to even issue the kits as somewhat accurate promo-style kits, they would probably be better off starting from scratch with a 3D-scan of the original subject matter. 

But since we're on the topic of possible future "clones" my bet is on the AMT '67 Ford Galaxie and/or MPC 1968-69 Impala kits...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Carmak said:

It would never come with the neat Spy Cat options the original Mpc kit had, and that may be the ultimate nostalgia factor sought by the older weekend buyer.

Dunno just guessing 😆 

Posted (edited)

I'd like to see a '67 Galaxie or a '66 Bonnie too but don't fool yourselves gentlemen, A '68 Impala is where the money's at for '60s full size cars.

The lowrider crowd alone could keep the inventory exhausted for years.

BTW, I don't need another one, I got mine.

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Carmak said:

There might have been some sort of tiny possibility if those 1966 kits Hasegawa did were lying dormant in the back of some dusty warehouse in Shizouka.  But Hasegawa is still actively producing those kits, so they're not going to have any interest in selling.  Also Round2 would be "the competition" as Hasegawa continues to have strong direct ties to Revell as their importer in Japan.

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 3:26 AM, Luc Janssens said:

I agree the 68, 69 Impalas have been on my wishlist for some time. a 67 or 68 Galaxies are desirable. I converted the 55 Bonne to a full detail kit with some kit bashing a scratch building.

IMG_3224.JPG

Edited by Bills72sj
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 9:51 AM, Chris V said:

While this entire thread is largely speculative, It's highly improbable that Round2 would even consider approaching another manufacturer regarding the purchase of tooling that is basically a cheap knock-off of old AMT, Jo-Han, and MPC promo bodies. The Hasegawa "1966" kits lack the crispness of the kits from which they were copied, and are all equipped with the same crude generic interior and chassis/floorpan assembly.  Given the amount of tooling required to even issue the kits as somewhat accurate promo-style kits, they would probably be better off starting from scratch with a 3D-scan of the original subject matter. 

But since we're on the topic of possible future "clones" my bet is on the AMT '67 Ford Galaxie and/or MPC 1968-69 Impala kits...

Absolutely spot on with the Hasegawa kits. Round 2 could do a much better job.

All of the guys pining for reissues of IMC tooling we haven't seen in 50 years or more need to become a little more aware of what tooling still exists, what doesn't, and what Lindberg actually had before Round 2 bought them.

All of the IMC VW related releases are not a possibility because the VW tooling went to Union in Japan and vanished when they went belly up. Hard to say if the Avenger GT-12 body inserts were included.

IIRC, Union got all of the GT-40, Ford J-Car, Ford Mk IV, and Lola T-70 Can Am Spyder tooling as well. It's likely long lost along with the rest of the Union-owned ex-IMC tooling.

I would say with confidence that whatever IMC tooling that was in Lindberg's possession pre-Round 2 was really only a smattering, which was left at George Toteff's tool and die shop for repairs around 1979, and never got picked up. If any of the potentially good selling IMC car kits existed, we would have seen Lindberg release them. 

The IMC VW tooling probably would not warrant cloning either. It is neither a particularly accurate VW kit or a drag car. 

Same goes for the GT-40's, etc. way too fiddly and not that accurate either 

Edited by garagepunk66

On 5/1/2024 at 10:55 PM, Can-Con said:

I'd like to see a '67 Galaxie or a '66 Bonnie too but don't fool yourselves gentlemen, A '68 Impala is where the money's at for '60s full size cars.

The lowrider crowd alone could keep the inventory exhausted for years.

BTW, I don't need another one, I got mine.

Considering they already have a 67 Impala kit, this would be a natural for them. Make whatever changes are needed to update it and BAM!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2024 at 9:57 PM, Motor City said:

All Round2 has to do is clone an MPC '66 Bonneville kit.  No need to do anything with the Hasegawa version. 

A '65 Wildcat or a '64 Grand Prix, Bonneville or Wildcat, could be cloned from an original kit and sell very well.

The '65 Wildcat could be VERY easy. The '66 is the updated '65. Re-create the body and chrome, and done. The interior in the '66 is actually the '65. The seat patterns and dash are the giveaway. I've been trying to figure out how to make a correct '66 dash for years.

I'd love to see the other Grand Prixs, the '66 Bonneville, and the earlier Wildcats. Maybe they'll get adventurous, and do a '67 or '68 Wildcat and big Pontiac, too? Those were nice-looking cars.

I tend to agree a 1968-'69 Impala would be a monumental seller, especially if done in SS and non-SS versions for a little variety. Perhaps a Caprice coupe with the option of bench or buckets and a Mark IV? I think it was the '68 that had really cool hidden headlights.

I also agree the 1967-'68 Galaxie would be well-received. Handsome design, and it seems it would sell based on the requests.

I'd personally like to see the 1965-'66 C-Body Dodges get done. I maintain the Chrysler's full-size cars of 1965-'66 especially were one of the pinnacles of post-war American automotive design, as they were also done by Elwood Engel, the same man that brought us the 1961 Lincoln Continental. The Custom 880 convertible was kind of neat, sort of forgotten now, and the Monaco is a beautiful kit. It would also open up the possibility of a Polara 4-door with options for police equipment, or to build an everyday car.

The Charger and Bronco for more modern choices have a lot of options. Perhaps a newer 300 or a Challenger? The Bronco choices are as wide and varied as the Bronco itself.

And yes, a new Ram pickup would be a good seller. So would a new F-150.

Charlie Larkin

• Like 1

18 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

The '65 Wildcat could be VERY easy. The '66 is the updated '65. Re-create the body and chrome, and done. The interior in the '66 is actually the '65. The seat patterns and dash are the giveaway. I've been trying to figure out how to make a correct '66 dash for years.

I had suggested on this forum that a worthwhile project would be to recreate the '65 Wildcat body, grille and bumpers, and create the correct '66 Wildcat interior.  Someone on the forum commented that most people wouldn't care about the correct interior.  That may be true, but it would be a more worthwhile project than some of the kit re-releases we've seen.  I did suggest it to someone at Round2 who looks at this forum.  A forum member recommended using a '68 Bonneville dashboard for the '66 Wildcat since it's somewhat similar.  

I'd like to see '67 and '68 Wildcat hardtop kits, since no big Buick kit or promo was produced for either year.  I drove a '68 in high school and early college.  They certainly wouldn't sell as well as the earlier Wildcats or other big cars that you suggested.  The chassis is the same as the '65 and '66.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Motor City said:

I had suggested on this forum that a worthwhile project would be to recreate the '65 Wildcat body, grille and bumpers, and create the correct '66 Wildcat interior.  Someone on the forum commented that most people wouldn't care about the correct interior.  That may be true, but it would be a more worthwhile project than some of the kit re-releases we've seen.  I did suggest it to someone at Round2 who looks at this forum.  A forum member recommended using a '68 Bonneville dashboard for the '66 Wildcat since it's somewhat similar.  

I'd like to see '67 and '68 Wildcat hardtop kits, since no big Buick kit or promo was produced for either year.  I drove a '68 in high school and early college.  They certainly wouldn't sell as well as the earlier Wildcats or other big cars that you suggested.  The chassis is the same as the '65 and '66.  

I knew there were a lot of greasy bits that were the same '65-'68, but if the frame, rear axle, etc., are the same, or so similar, it might as well be, that, at the very least, creates a good business case for a resin or 3-D transkit.

Hmmm...

Charlie Larkin