Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint compatibility

Posted (edited)

I’m thinking of spraying a lacquer top coat over an enamel base coat. Has anyone done this ? Any special precautions I should be aware of or do I need to stick to all lacquer based paints. 

ETA specifically I’m thinking of using a testors enamel base and a testors extreme lacquer top coat.

Edited by Camaro lover
Clarifying information

As someone stated previously, don't put any laquer paint over enamel.  Laquer paint has solvents that will attack the enamel base and lift it.  Do a laquer base, then topcoat with a clear enamel.

The enamel will not attack and lift the laquer base.

Thanks for the advice. I think I’ll forget the whole idea. As I’m trying to keep my modeling budget from getting out of control I try to use what I have on hand instead of buying more and more. Funny how as a kid I was able to build a model with a partial tube of glue, maybe 1/2 dozen bottles of paint and a can of spray paint. 😂

1 hour ago, Camaro lover said:

Funny how as a kid I was able to build a model with a partial tube of glue, maybe 1/2 dozen bottles of paint and a can of spray paint. 😂

Might be funny, but as a kit you likely weren't even using a clear coat, spray-bombed or maybe even brush-painted your models with basic Testors PLA enamels or Pactra paints, no airbrush, and likely didn't use aftermarket parts, etc., etc.  All of the adult modelers can pretty much relate to what you mentioned, but it is not a good comparison.

If you want to be on a budget, go pick up some glue and paints from a dollar store, and find some inexpensive kits. That way you can model on a budget, like when you were a kid.  We can't go back to the good ol' times. That ship has sailed, never to return.  But is it fun to remember those good ol' times.

if your on a budget a cheap airbrush, thinners and dollar store nail varnish will save you money on paint. an airbrush might seem expensive but how much is a can of paint? 6 tins of paint can get a starter set with a compressor but i'd look in he $120 rangefor a set that has a tank and pressure gauge. the vast majority of nail varnish is just thick auto acrylic paint anyway.

Posted (edited)

You absolutely can use Testors “Wet Look Clear”, or standard Testors “Clear Top Coat” lacquer over enamel.  I do it often for chassis and engine parts.

My understanding is that “Extreme Lacquer” is hotter, so I would pass on that, but the others should not cause an issue, as long as the enamel is completely cured.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

8 hours ago, peteski said:

Might be funny, but as a kit you likely weren't even using a clear coat, spray-bombed or maybe even brush-painted your models with basic Testors PLA enamels or Pactra paints, no airbrush, and likely didn't use aftermarket parts, etc., etc.  All of the adult modelers can pretty much relate to what you mentioned, but it is not a good comparison.

If you want to be on a budget, go pick up some glue and paints from a dollar store, and find some inexpensive kits. That way you can model on a budget, like when you were a kid.  We can't go back to the good ol' times. That ship has sailed, never to return.  But is it fun to remember those good ol' times.

I know all that and I agree 100%. To me it’s the same as saying bread used to be 25 cents a loaf, or cigarettes costing 45 cents… I get it. As more innovations come along in the modeling world we tend to justify the expenses. Believe me I can spend money when I want to, but I do try to be frugal as much as possible. Now that I’m retired I have more disposable income than at any other point in my life. But at my age if I want to yell at clouds I will. Just ignore me 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

The way things are going the next generation won’t be able to build a model without a 3D printer.😈

And an AI-equipped robot to put it together for them...and paint will be illegal.

Paint, being one of the last things you do on a model (besides final assembly), isn't the place to experiment, at least on the model itself.  Better to test first on something expendable.  Like Ed Roth once said, "don't mutilate unless its cheap!" 

Not that you can't use cheap paint...you just have to test first.  There are videos all over YouTube dealing with airbrushing cheap craft paints, and every so often you can turn up automotive touch-up spray cans at the closeout stores.  You only need to experiment beforehand to see what works with what.  Every so often though, you'll still hear about someone who took two or three steps backward on a project after just grabbing the first spray can within reach and blasting away...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

You absolutely can use Testors “Wet Look Clear”, or standard Testors “Clear Top Coat” lacquer over enamel.  I do it often for chassis and engine parts.

My understanding is that “Extreme Lacquer” is hotter, so I would pass on that, but the others should not cause an issue, as long as the enamel is completely cured.

Steve

Good to know. I have 11 cans of the Wet Look Clear Extreme Lacquer.