Model Cars Magazine Forum

Four Red Dan Gurney Ford GT's

Dan Gurney’s son Justin had Ford build a special version of the most recent Ford GT to honour his father. Unfortunately, Dan passed away before it was delivered so he never got a chance to see it or drive it. Although a Gurney roof bubble was considered it would not work with this design but because it is the largest of all Ford GTs Dan would have easily fit this car.

2024-05-0916_17_44.thumb.jpg.cc04ff64696adb5c93308000756c549a.jpg2024-05-0916_19_45.thumb.jpg.dcb209c178f03a1d7afa3ef4f9196d55.jpg

This was a very straightforward, virtually box-stock build of the excellent Tamiya kit. It was painted with Tamiya spray paint without any polishing or clear. The only changes I made were using real mesh for the six small rear vents rather than the provided decal over clear plastic kit solution and the added decals for Dan’s Heritage livery.

2024-05-0916_21_38.thumb.jpg.0bf237606e39eda3e8f88bb860241045.jpg

Dan’s wife got him a 2005 Ford GT for his birthday with a Gurney bump over the driver’s seat. I have heard these second-generation Ford GTs were very driver friendly cars and Dan drove it frequently. This model was built from the Polar Lights pre-decorated snap kit to which I added a Gurney bump.

2024-05-0916_23_21.thumb.jpg.4404fc6e636098dd36c27f7a858f420c.jpg

My 1967 Le Mans winning Ford GT40 MKIV was built from the MPC kit.

I was inspired to put this quartet of Ford GTs together while building the replica of the Fujimi Mercury GT40 MKII Dan shared with AJ Foyt at Daytona 1967 where it did not finish. This is the same car Dan put on the pole at Le Mans 1966.

2024-05-0916_24_20.thumb.jpg.ee8a6abb8eb5d3e9fa5a4cfa4c5b74b5.jpg

JUSTIN GURNEY HONORS DAD’S LEGACY WITH FORD GT DUO IN FAMILY’S GARAGE

• Like 19

Very nice collection of GT’s and a nice tribute.  The Mercury version is nice to see and I forgot he and AJ drove it at Daytona and went on the win Lemans in the Mark IV.

15 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Very nice collection of GT’s and a nice tribute.  The Mercury version is nice to see and I forgot he and AJ drove it at Daytona and went on the win Lemans in the Mark IV.

9 hours ago, slusher said:

Beautiful collection!

5 hours ago, ncbuckeye67 said:

That is a beautiful collection!

5 hours ago, rrb124@sbcglobal.net said:

Striking collection. This set is worthy of it's own large lighted glass case located in a prominent place. 

3 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Awesome!

18 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

Really nice.

Thanks very much. I have been a Dan Gurney fan forever. I have a special spot in a display cabinet for models I have built of Dan's cars and a tribute to him on the door to my hobby room.

IMG_1151.thumb.jpg.024aaa417073131009d9ac6face6fdc4.jpgIMG_1152.jpg.9fe62a6cfe65b5a63644f7ed68b1b6f7.jpg

• Like 2

V-E-R-Y cool collection Phil.  And nice job on all the on all the models.  Got to meet Dan (for about 30seconds)  at one of my model shows. Despite the fact he had about 10 people trying to pull him in all directions he was very gracious and liked my display.  I can see why you would be a fan. 

22 hours ago, ea0863 said:

Wonderful collection Phil, and great bit of history. Thank you for sharing!

20 hours ago, Jim B said:

Beautiful GTs.  Very well done.

19 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

OK, I am really impressed with what you have done Phil and am really glad you shared them with us.

18 hours ago, karbuildr said:

Outstanding. Beautiful collection and a very nice tribute to Dan.

18 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Wow Phil, those are impressive builds👍

16 hours ago, Yeah Nah said:

Beautiful collection there Phil!

15 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

V-E-R-Y cool collection Phil.  And nice job on all the on all the models.  Got to meet Dan (for about 30seconds)  at one of my model shows. Despite the fact he had about 10 people trying to pull him in all directions he was very gracious and liked my display.  I can see why you would be a fan. 

5 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Awesome group of Ford GTs!!

Thanks everyone. I still have nine want to build Dan Gurney related models on my list.

8 minutes ago, 1959scudetto said:

Very nice collection, Phil - Dan Gurney was one of the all-time greats in motor racing history.

The Gurney display in your cabinet shows some awsome models!

Thanks Helmut. I only saw Dan race once at the 1967 Canadian Grand Prix but followed his racing career and race teams closely. I finally got to meet him in 2006 at his All American Racers facility.