Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '57 Cadillac

Guest 59elcamino

Guest 59elcamino

I thought this kit was a 1/32 multi piece body kit from the 60's and Revell is re-releasing it in 1/25th scale ?

The only pictures I have seen make it looks almost cartoon like ... body too wide and too short (see pic;s below)

I believe it is now out on the shelves .

Does anyone know more of this release ?

Thanks , Martin

post-4940-12651689710416_thumb.jpg

Marty, It's a VERY old Revell release from the late 50's. I has a MULTI-Peice body and it IS a bear to assemble properly. It CAN be done mind you, but not without a few superlatives thrown in for good measure. I have seen some built up VERY nicely, but not many. If you take your time,and fix the bad spots, it'll be a good looker when your done.smile.gifwink.gif

Of the 3 1/25 multi-piece bodied models from that era (Futura, Club de Mer, and Eldorado Brougham), the Cadillac is the least successful at looking accurate when built. As someone else mentioned, it has a slightly cartoonish-look about it, most of it centered on the front of the car which just looks "off". As if the front end is too short, the grille unit a bit too large, too flat, and mounted so low that the front bumper almost looks like a cowcatcher. It can be made into a nice looking model with some effort...but the Franklin Mint did an Eldorado Brougham that decimates the Revell kit in looking right. I got one years ago for a song, less than what original Eldorado Brougham kits were going for before the 1990's reissue.

Long story short, it's an interesting and crude kit. Don't expect anything close to modern Revell quality and ease-of-assembly. Enjoying this kit to the fullest requires a completely different level of historical perspective and intestinal fortitude.

I always wanted to build this kit as a kid in the 1960s but Revell kits were not always that easy to obtain even though they were made over here as well.

When I bought an original with the intension of building it I just loved the artwork on the box. I just ever got around to building it.

So when the re-release came out I had to build it. Bought a couple but only built 1, yes it was very hard to get right but I like to think I built it well.

One thing I did add were the fender vents not included in the Revell model. I used the same item from the Gunz Sango Eldorado kit. Ok they were 1/32 but looked ok.

My oinion? nice kit to me but as said in nearly every post, needs lots of care and attention to look decent. Compared to some other kits, ie Jo-Hans Cadillac models, accuracy never seemed important back then B)

John

• 9 months later...

Hi, sorry no shots but the figures are 2 piece(front and back) look to be fairly accurate and detailed. With some texturing I think they will come out well but I am not the greatest figure painter. The Futura figures are one piece, similar quality detail but the Club de Mer figures are awfull as the heads are too large(1/20th?)

J

From Brad Leisure in our last issue

post-3-002655600 1289908352_thumb.png

post-3-047813500 1289908428_thumb.png

The show host Irwin "Sonny" Fox, mentioned in the article attached to this post, went on to host another kid show; "The Sonny Fox Show," in the early '60s.

Does anybody remember "Wonderama?" This was another kid's variety show, hosted by Sandy Becker, who also played a comical charactor on the show named "Norton Nork." There was another personality on the show who was popular in the movie monster/sci fi fanzines of the day: a vampire kinda guy I believe they called "Zacharly." I think Chuck McCann replaced Sandy Becker on Wonderama.

Just thought I'd share some useless, non-model-car-building information.

PB.

• 1 month later...

Revell did 3 1/25 multi-piece car kits in the '57 or so in addition to the 1/32 cars from about th same era. The 1/25 cars were the Lincoln Futura, the Pontiac Club de Mer, and this Caddy. Considering the era they're nicely done. Certainly not to modern standards, but still hold up pretty well now. The multi-piece bodies take some patience to build, but they did a much better job hiding the seams than, say, Palmer or Pyro kits with piece-it-together bodies.

These 3 kits don't have opening hoods/engines. Revell got to that later with the '59 Ford series (wagon/Ranchero/retrac hardtop)

Actually, Mark, the Stawag turned Ranchero was a 1957. No relation to the '59 Retractable. Another multi-piece with engine was the '59 Corvette. (Later misslabeled as a 1960, last reissued with a Route 66 Coral Court diorama) Excellent kit.

Actually, Mark, the Stawag turned Ranchero was a 1957. No relation to the '59 Retractable. Another multi-piece with engine was the '59 Corvette. (Later misslabeled as a 1960, last reissued with a Route 66 Coral Court diorama) Excellent kit.

Also the Austin-Healey 100-6, the Mercedes Benz 190SL and their Porsche race car.

Art

Hello all!

I picked this very kit up early in the spring of this year and upon openin the box and not being surprised many of the parts were missing ( maybe just my luck ). Anyhoot with no engine and flash like Flash Gordon well needless to say a well documented build-up was not in order. It looks great but I think its jus the idea of having a model of a 57 Eldorado more pleasing than the actual aspects or details to the kit. I remember also having to cut the chassis out once the two body panels were in place to get the proper interior tub measurements to fit. Leave a bit of a lip to the body to wedge door skins in the tub.I tried my hand at acetate to rid the model of aquarium glass with no result. Im currently finishing up the subject sometime this week.Heres a picture of the build-up

DSCF5756.jpg

DSCF5723.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok i was at the local hobby shop looking for my next build and bam out popped a 57 caddy eldorado. After taking it home and opening it i soon figured out why there was so many of them on the shelves. Picture this a body that concists of five parts which dont glue togeather well at all. No engine, no details,barely any chrome,and the interior looks cheezy. Well revell did try making up for it by adding two crappy castings of these things that look like people with major plastic surgury issues. Now the only reason i kept it is due to my love for the cadillac brand. If your planning a factory looking caddy dont buy this kit but if your looking to do a custom caddy and dare to brave this kit my god have mercy on you.