Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 67 Mustang kit review?

5 hours ago, Mark said:

There is little to fault in the kit as it was first issued, so what else would need to be changed?

The rearend is very undersized IMHO. See here:

I can't recall if that was the only thing I felt was undersized when I looked over the Shelby GT350 version of this kit/tooling, but I was much less impressed with the kit than most people seemed to be.

46 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

A ribbed panel in the back would be cool but you’re right as it is was a very good kit.

I personally never liked that optional ribbed back panel. I was very glad that Ertl did not put on this kit when it first came out. The one option I wish they would have included in with the kit was the vented hood. That and a 390. '67 is my all time favorite of the Mustangs. The trouble is, I built a very nice one when Ertl first introduced this kit several years ago. So, do I really what another one? Maybe... I really do like the retro style box art shown above. 

17 hours ago, Casey said:

The rearend is very undersized IMHO...

True enough. It's actually patterned after the weaker smaller 8 inch  diff for whatever reason. Great for a street rod or falcon/comet etc but not a Shelby mustang or any real hi-po application.

More about the nine inch diff here...

Edited by mk11

9 hours ago, mk11 said:

True enough. It's actually patterned after the weaker smaller 8 inch  diff for whatever reason. Great for a street rod or falcon/comet etc but not a Shelby mustang or any real hi-po application.

Yes, odd choice, but even the smaller 8" rear looks too small to me. There were other details which gave me the overall impression the kit was rushed, and making sure the fine details were brought out were skipped-- even the axle tube appears a bit wavy. Just seems like it was rushed and has that "good enough" vibe to it.

On 12/24/2020 at 10:29 PM, unclescott58 said:

I personally never liked that optional ribbed back panel. I was very glad that Ertl did not put on this kit when it first came out. The one option I wish they would have included in with the kit was the vented hood. That and a 390. '67 is my all time favorite of the Mustangs. The trouble is, I built a very nice one when Ertl first introduced this kit several years ago. So, do I really what another one? Maybe... I really do like the retro style box art shown above. 

I was glad R&MofMD made one available (from Larry Boothe’s patttern) to add to one of the 67’s I built about 20 years ago.  He did a vented hood as well.

FA20688F-5E1A-4C53-B6D2-B6462CEC7C46.jpeg

29 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

I was glad R&MofMD made one available (from Larry Boothe’s patttern) to add to one of the 67’s I built about 20 years ago.  He did a vented hood as well.

FA20688F-5E1A-4C53-B6D2-B6462CEC7C46.jpeg

I'll have to look into his vented hood. Having that hood would be a good excuse (well, an excuse anyway) to buy and build another '67 Mustang. That and the retro box art. I'm telling you, box art can sometimes get me to buy a kit I really don't need. 

I am in the middle of building two of these. One is the 67 GT with a 427 SOHC motor being shoved in it. The other is to be a 67 Shelby GT350 with the small block.

The green one was changed to silver. The blue one is still getting the blue striped off. I have been distracted by my 69 Boss 429 build and now my new mini lathe.

I remember reading a review of this kit in SAE several years ago, that dinged it for stiff decals that cracked and fell apart, and bad mold parting lines, and general carelessness in tooling. I hope that it gets released this time with Round2's usual eye on improved quality. The too small rear axle is an Odd choice for the car.

• 5 months later...

In a perfect world with lots of ROI, the folks of Round-2 could tool up a coup version of this model, with stock, drag and racing parts, even including extra parts which didn't made the cut with the original Ertl era release, like the ribbed taillite panel (yeah I know it differs, coup to FB) and for those of you who say, it difficult to modify existing tooling, there's no need to modify just tool up new!

The reason a satellite approach when creating new tooling makes so much sense, careful planning (parts lay-out)  mix and match and you have several releases.

Cheers

Luc

5 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

In a perfect world with lots of ROI, the folks of Round-2 could tool up a coup version of this model, with stock, drag and racing parts, even including extra parts which didn't made the cut with the original Ertl era release, like the ribbed taillite panel (yeah I know it differs, coup to FB) and for those of you who say, it difficult to modify existing tooling, there's no need to modify just tool up new!

The reason a satellite approach when creating new tooling makes so much sense, careful planning (parts lay-out)  mix and match and you have several releases.

Cheers

Luc

A 1967-'68 coupe version of the Mustang is woefully absent for the longest time! If they did a coupe, it would be a natural progression to also do a convertible without a lot of major surgery to the body. Not so much with the Fastback as they don't share the same quarters and taillight panels among other things.

It's one of the reasons I started on my Green Hornet project years ago. That bodystyle just keeps getting ignored for whatever reason.