Model Cars Magazine Forum

5th Annual 24hr Build

The days are slowly counting down until the 5th Annual 24hr Build. Set aside time from noon Sat Jan 29th to noon Sun Jan 30th. Pick a model and build it. Must paint the body. No prepainted or diecast kits. Check out Gary's Fotki site for more info: http://public.fotki.com/gkulchock/5th-annual-24-hour-/

If you want in just get your info to Gary Kulchock at gkulchock@aol.com

I can never understand the point of this. I'd never be happy with something built that quickly. I'd have to re-do it again later.

But hey, to each his own. Have a great time Wildrice, I'll be checking out the results.

The point is to just do something for fun. Kind of like spending a day at a car show or blowing an entire weekend watching football no real point to it but it's always fun.

I can never understand the point of this. I'd never be happy with something built that quickly. I'd have to re-do it again later.

But hey, to each his own. Have a great time Wildrice, I'll be checking out the results.

Actually, it's a lot of fun, Rob. It requires you to really plan your build and build to your plan. You'd be surprised what you can accomplish in a short time when you are focusing and concentrating. We've done this a couple of times (our club) and it turns out to be a real hoot.

Here's a Magnum I cranked out at a 24hr Build ...

Dan_Baker_Dodge_Magum_2nd_Place.jpg

DSCF2654-vi.jpg

Try it, you might like it!

B)

Don't sell yourself short! The first time guys in my club did a 24 hour build (we do it annually for LeMans and build models of cars that raced LeMans), we had a younger member of our club join us who had *never* built and finished a model *ever*. He did a Revell Corvette C5R...and it came out fantastic. You'll see his work on this forum under GTMike400, he scratchbuilds nearly everything now...he still needs coaching on building something OOB :D but if he starts from scratch and machines/fabricates it...watch out! He asked questions when necessary, we coached him on what paint to use, we have a "dehydrator farm" to force dry painted parts.

I've seen enough successes from these builds to know that nearly anyone can pull it off if they try, and not be embarrassed with the results.

First, pick a subject suitable for the timeframe. Curbsides/snap kits are abundant, many are excellent, and they generally have very manageable parts count.

Second, familiarize yourself with the kit before the day of the build. Sometimes there are rules, like no pre-paints, only glue X number of parts ahead of time, start unpainted, or start w/the model in primer. Rules are good, but don't be afraid to stretch them a bit...remember, you want to have fun. Every race team stretches rules... Our group allows fully primed bodies for the LeMans build. A builder can show up with all the parts clipped, nipped, dressed and ready for paint/assembly (our group allows that). So you can spend time getting the model prepped to a point, getting your ducks in a row...it's not like you show up w/o cracking the box ahead of time. Again...this maximizes fun and the ability to finish on time. Endurance race teams don't show up cold, they've built/rebuilt their car repeatedly, they show up with tons of preparation. Last year I cheated like mad...my "primer" was gloss white paint that somehow was miraculously polished ahead of time :lol: though I did have to mask/apply racing stripes w/my airbrush. I had already built the subject before, and knew it was fairly painless. I ended up w/a nice model, and about 5 hours of sleep that night.

Again, while the challenge is in the building of the model, at least in a group setting it's really about being with friends and having fun. That also is important to have "group support" to help other builders if they reach some sort of snag. Sometimes we'll help each other, I'll help someone w/paint, they might help me w/some decals. That kind of thing. To those previously uninitiated in that kind of building, it often really opens up their eyes and creativity, and they usually accomplish much more than they ever expected, and learn techniques that they can use on every model...endurance racing is a team sport, a 24 hour build can be similar. We've thought about doing a group build sometime, building one fully-detailed model, with people responsible for different areas of the build. Or doing assembly-line style, all building the same model, one person working body, another interior, another chassis, another engine, combining effort for some areas and finishing. There are lots of ways to approach it. Avoid old-school supplies that hinder progress...don't use enamels, tube glue, and old-fashioned air-curing putties. Lacquers, super glue and kicker, and dehydrators are all highly recommended, and exploited for all they are worth by the group builders.

Our "24hour" build events don't permit any 'pre-running.' Each participant is to unseal his kit at the starting bell.

Two years ago one "enterprising" smart-alec showed up with a prefinished '58 Edsel kit. :blink:

It had never occurred to us that a 'no-prefinished-kits' rule would be necessary. :( There is one now.

"Pre-Paint," as he is now known, has not lived it down. ;) He "finished" his model within the alloted 24 hours, even while sneaking in about 12 hours of sleep (while the rest of us toiled)! :blink::rolleyes:

Periodically, other prefinished Edsels show up at club events to memorialize the "Legend of Pre-Paint Doe*." :P

* - His real last name has been changed to protect the guilty. <_<

We have had great mirth at his expense, and he won't go near a pre-finished kit any more!! :lol::lol:

B)

Edited by Danno

I have to admit I also don't "get it" in regards to forcing yourself to build a model in a certain amount of time. It's like being forced to read a novel in a certain amount of time or build a chest of drawers in a certain amount of time. Yeah, sure, it can be done... but what's the point? B)

But I guess for those who like the idea of a "24 hour build," the concept works...

It does sound like fun, especially if sveral builders can get together to to it. I really enjoy the couple times a year I can get together with a few guys and work on kits for a few hours on a Saturday, I've never tried to completely finish a kit though.....My mind is working though and I may just have to join in this weekend.

I have to admit I also don't "get it" in regards to forcing yourself to build a model in a certain amount of time. It's like being forced to read a novel in a certain amount of time or build a chest of drawers in a certain amount of time. Yeah, sure, it can be done... but what's the point? :D

But I guess for those who like the idea of a "24 hour build," the concept works...

The reason you don't "get it" is probably because you can only envision it being an agonizing endeavor that you are "forced" into.

Nobody is "forced" to do this. They do it because they want to. They do it because it is fun. For the groups working together, it's a social gathering. Friends, food, models, watching a race. Again...fun. That is the point!

I don't "get" how people don't "get" it :rolleyes: The guys that have been doing these builds for years enjoy it...and they get more people involved every year...they get it, and they're having fun...even for the most rigid of builders, it's an excellent way to "loosen up" and clear the cobwebs out. The guys that don't finish? They have fun too, getting done whatever they manage to get done.

And it also helps to do a 24 hour build in a group setting...it's a lot more fun than building solo.

I do it because it fun. I thought thats what model building was supposed to be. I had 3 other guys at my house last year. We had fun. This year my 8 yr old son is going to give it a try. I would much rather see him out in my room with me for 24 hrs than to be glued to the tv or playing video games. Its great bonding time for builders. Will mine be a show winner, prob not but I dont care. The group at my house are all doing Impalas to honor a members Dad who passed away last year. He loved Impalas and owned a 62. So I can only say dont knock it until you try it.

I wasn't knocking anything. I can dig the social aspects. I can dig having fun with pals. I just don't really care to mix modeling building and socializing (beyond the forums I suppose). Modeling is sort of zen thing for me. I'm off in some hot rod lala land, just me, the model and some tunes, and I like it there. My wife and sons have learned that Dad's in his little world, don't bug him. I'm focused and in the zone.

Most of my projects are just that - projects. They can't generally be accomplished in 24 hours. I don't own a kit I don't have a zillion ideas for. So building one near box stock just isn't gonna happen. I'd rather do the elaborate plan.

As I said, to each his own. If this is your bag, then by all means have a ball. All I said is that I don't get it.

But that's just me.

Edited by Jantrix

Thanks for all the input guys. When I started this build 5 years ago, my motive was to get together with my buddies and do the one thing we never do together, and that's build models. Five years later, nothings changed. I enjoy watching how they do things and have picked up many tips over the years. Hopefully I've dished out a few tips also. This ibuild is better than any model show, NNL or swap meet I've ever attended.

Get your friends together and try it. You'll get hooked.

By the way, we also had to come up with a few rules along the way. One of our modelers, who we will just call John B. (LOL) decided to just wax the bare plastic and not paint the body. Year 2, we brought in the Brolin rule that states you must paint the body. I hope no one figures out who I'm referring to.

Tune in, comment and enjoy our build. We love your feedback.

Main site: http://public.fotki.com/gkulchock/

Later guys ......

I am going to do a 24-hour build next weekend (4th and 5th), but appearantly our IPMS chapter has a different view; we just build for 24 hours, that is it. Doesnt matter what you do, how much you or whether you actually going to finish something.

It is just for the fun and spent some time together, and share the hobby together.

I, on the other hand am trying to finish a 1/8 model, since it is virtually impossible to start from zero, I am sanding and painting all the parts up front, so I can focus on assembling and detailling, but I am also bringing other projects to work on whenever I feel for it.

This will be my first 24 hour build, and I actually never build on a meeting ever before, so I have no idea what to bring either. 'we'll see..........:-)

I would really like to do this as part of a group but I'll be flying solo again this year. The dogs will stop in for an ear scratch and my wife will be keeping me lubricated but I'll just have to maintain contact with rest of the guys on the 'net.......which is still okay :P

I'm headed upstairs now to clear a spot on the bench and lay out some parts for an Indy Kurtis roadster build. 14 hours and 5 minutes 'til liftoff :lol:

when i told the wifey about this she said (and i qoute)

"ive seen what you can do in 24 hours: there is peices missing, everything is scatthered on the dining room table and my dishes are dirty. there is no way you are doing this"

so i guess im out :lol:

(LMAO) Well I can see her point, but ....... the time spent building with my buddies is just priceless to me. Do I care if I finish the model? No. Is it going to be my best work? No. Will I even take it to a show. Well maybe. But, I do get to hang with my best friends. Nuf said!

Have fun guys.

The reason you don't "get it" is probably because you can only envision it being an agonizing endeavor that you are "forced" into.

Nobody is "forced" to do this. They do it because they want to. They do it because it is fun. For the groups working together, it's a social gathering. Friends, food, models, watching a race. Again...fun. That is the point!

I don't "get" how people don't "get" it :P The guys that have been doing these builds for years enjoy it...and they get more people involved every year...they get it, and they're having fun...even for the most rigid of builders, it's an excellent way to "loosen up" and clear the cobwebs out. The guys that don't finish? They have fun too, getting done whatever they manage to get done.

And it also helps to do a 24 hour build in a group setting...it's a lot more fun than building solo.

Yeah... there's more than one way to enjoy the hobby.

Me, I like to build at my own pace, in my own way, on my own terms, when I feel like it... no deadlines, no restraints, no rules. That's how I enjoy the hobby.

To anyone who goes a different route... enjoy yourself! We all get our kicks in different ways. :lol:

"ive seen what you can do in 24 hours: there is peices missing, everything is scatthered on the dining room table and my dishes are dirty. there is no way you are doing this"

so i guess im out B)

With a reaction like this....she'd be out. If I was feeling generous, just out on the couch!

I'd love to do this this year, but my space limitations and paint-proof weather make it impossible this year.

Perhaps next year.

Charlie Larkin

so i guess im out B)

I can recommend a great divorce attorney for ya! :lol:

This is my 3rd year participating online and each year it is more fun. I also do a couple of 12 hour builds with some friends in the area. This idea started about 10 years ago with a model club in Guelph, Ontario. They do it on Le Mans weekend and it must be a Le Mans car, decals and all! Some guys will even scratch build a car in that time, now that takes planning!

For these builds, I plan ahead, check the kit and see what I want to do, then make sure I have all the parts. You can't plan for Murphy's Law but it always occurs :lol: This year I built the MPC Tiger Shark show car and converted it from a hardtop to a bubble top. I realize now that I needed a better plan for the seal for the bubble top but it does fit.

I take photos from start to finish and post them online, sometimes with a description, and I always get comments. It's a lot of fun to build a model and share it with the modelling world and to get it done in a short period is a rewarding challenge. Next week I may have to repair a bit or two but for today I feel very good about finishing the kit.

If you are unsure, pick an easy kit, one you know will go together easily. Pick a quick drying paint like Testors or Tamiya lacquer. If you have a modelling buddy or two in the area, ask them to join in. If not, have your camera ready and share your build online. You will enjoy yourself.

http://public.fotki.com/howardcohen/24-hour-build-janua/