Model Cars Magazine Forum

How long have you been modeling?

I started at the age of 9 or so, been modeling for about 8-10 years, worked strictly on planes and helicopters in 1/72, than had a "time-out" due to other activities (school, BMX, drums, music composing, girls, concerts... :D ) and came back around 2003 or so. As I came back I started modifying die-casts in 1/24 and fell in love with scratchbuilding. After two or three modified die-casts I was hooked ;) After a few die-casts I took-up on my first plastic kit (Fujimi Golf I GTI) and... Well... I was hooked again ;) Been working on cars since then in 1/24 with any kind of material that comes around (die-cast, styrene, resin, welding wire, ...) ;)

First model ever was a Strombecker solid white pine Aeronca Cub (forerunner of the Piper Cub), sanded on that one impatiently, under the tutelege of my 8yrs older brother for a whole day, painted it red with Comet Dope, assembled it, added the wing struts and the window decals, brother helped me get the landing gear on straight and solid. That was in July 1951, kit was a present for my 7th birthday.

I guess that makes it almost 60 years since I built my first model, huh?

Art

Started when I was five in 63 with an AMT split window Stingray. Built continuously until 74 when I got my first real ride and started the partying thing ( hey, it was Florida). Started back again in 86 with an AMT 1/16 65 Mustang and been at it ever since.

grumpy gus

Put me down for about 56 years, started out watching my Dad, he would build them for me. One day I got impatient and built a Revell box scale B-52 ,couldn't get the wings in all the way,WOW! there was a good half inch gap. Dad wasn't very happy, but there it was, my first build.I didn't get to cars till about 1959, the first AMT hot rods and the Monogram Long John dragster._si_ProductFiles_glx59.jpgNow how do we count the gaps?College?No, built a few in the dorm. Navy boot camp didn't take too long, started right back up during "A" school.Got married, still a nice hobby. Kids? nope I remember bringing a glue bomb '40 Ford back to life waiting for my son to be born.Kinda like a long freight train stopping and starting. Oh, yeah, tried an HO lay out once too.

I started with a disassembled Monogram Black Widow I found in the bottom of my Great Grandmother's toy box. I played with it until I figured out how the major assemblies went together. My parent's bought me some glue, set me on some newspaper and I was off to the races. I was 4. Almost every thing for many years after that was a Tom Daniels kit. My parents say I learned to read because my older brother stopped reading model instructions to me. I did my first major scratchbuild when I was 12ish. Pic below.

I slowed down a bit when I was in college, thinking I would spend more time studying. I ended up doing a large sprite body out o modeling clay and then a chassis from straws. I finally gave in a drove home to get a couple of kits. I built pretty much alone until I was about 35 and found the local modeling chapter in Sacrament. It was called SAM. I'm 48 now, still loving everything to do with car models. That makes 44 years of some of the best fun ever.

The concept drawing and the finished product.post-3265-0-24360200-1297821278_thumb.jppost-3265-0-37752100-1297821249_thumb.jp

I was just curious, how long have the members here been modeling?

I will start with myself I have been modeling since i was 8yrs old I will be 50 this year.I remember I tried to get my dad to buy me a dremel then and the hobby shop owner said I could cut my fingers off with it. Sad to say I was about 14 before I could get the "old man " to get me one. I guess that makes me 42 years into it. My first kit was a 1/25th trike it had a chevy v8 with injection tubes, I am not too sure who made it. (I would like to know) I have dabeled in model railroads and all other sorts of kits. I guess I will be modeling as long as the Good Lord sees fit.

Any way so much about me who has the most years modeling and the least?

I did the math...I have been building model cars for 55 years. My first was a 191? Franklin Touring Car by Gowlin (sp) I think.

Next was a customized JoHan Chrysler. Bodywork done with plaster of paris----cracked all to hello as you can guess. when I went into the USAF I had a cube mate that built contest models. I was really hooked then. layed off for a few years till my kids got old enough to watch me Help them build. One of my sons is an avid model builder now. guess something rubbed ogg.

Started building models back around 1963, I was 5, started with the Monster models (Dracula,Frankenstein the Wolfman Etc.), then went into submarines (didn't bother with ships) followed by war planes (the Red Baron's Fokker Tri-plane,which was molded in light blue)then WW2 fighter planes then around '66 at the age of 8 I discovered CARS, & have never looked back.I'll be 53 in March, so I've been building for almost 48 yrs.& have enjoyed it completely. :):lol:

Started building during the Christmas holidays of 1958. A friend got a 58 Pontiac AMT convertible for Christmas and I asked where his parents

got it from. A hardware store in north Winnipeg. During the holidays him and I went there and I bought a 58 Edsel Convertible and some paint.

Pactra small bottles. Got two red and a brush. Painted everything red, chrome/interior. That was the beginning. I was 10 at the time. Kept

building until about 1974 then back in around 1991. Suffered a stroke in 1998 and really haven't done much since. Painted and polished a few

for club members but now wanting to get back again. Climbing stairs is troublesome with my bad knee but the urge is there again. Got the paint/

glue and tools, just now I need the urge back and skill. I always built box-stock. No patience with wiring etc. Very small fuse(if you get

what I mean). I'am now 63.....Thats my two cents worth..............

I was just curious, how long have the members here been modeling?

I will start with myself I have been modeling since i was 8yrs old I will be 50 this year.I remember I tried to get my dad to buy me a dremel then and the hobby shop owner said I could cut my fingers off with it. Sad to say I was about 14 before I could get the "old man " to get me one. I guess that makes me 42 years into it. My first kit was a 1/25th trike it had a chevy v8 with injection tubes, I am not too sure who made it. (I would like to know) I have dabeled in model railroads and all other sorts of kits. I guess I will be modeling as long as the Good Lord sees fit.

Any way so much about me who has the most years modeling and the least?

2011 will be my 57th year. I now 66. Started building models in 1954 and my first car was the Revell/AMT 1955 Buick.

38 Crush (or is it Crushed) :D