Model Cars Magazine Forum

1953 Alfa Romeo B.A.T. 5

Raul_Perez

This year when my friend Bernard (GBK1) came down to spend the weekend with me and my wife for the NNL West, he not only surprised me with a T-shirt of one of my favorite concept cars of all time, the 1953 Alfa Romeo B.A.T. 5, but he also brought along a Fisher 1:24th resin kit of the car!!

While he knows I'm not really a fan of most resin kits, he also knew that the resin kits from Fisher are outstanding!!

The initial cleanup was pretty minimal. A little sanding around the edges was really all that was needed to get this little beauty ready for a good cleaning and a coat of primer. There aren't any pinholes anywhere on the body, but there are a few spots around the edges that will need a little bit of putty before I spray the base color coat.

Here are a couple of shots of the actual car:

53Alfa_RomeoBAT5_DV09_CI01-vi.jpg

53Alfa_BAT_5_Bertone_DV07MB_04-vi.jpg

I can only imagine what people thought of this thing when they first saw it in 1953!!

Here are a couple of shots of the model after the initial prep:

DSC08113-vi.jpg

The PE set includes the steering wheel center, the instrument panel, gauges, radio, wipers and name badges. Bernard also ordered the PE wire wheel inserts from Herb Deek's that will really make this little jewel standout.

There are duplicates of some of the more fragile resin parts, but I had no trouble trimming and fitting the front fender fin inserts. See below.

The only modification I'll make to the kit will be to add a small piece of brass wire to the backside of the rear edge of the window posts on the doors (the ones just in front of the B pillars). That will help reinforce it for handling when I BMF the posts.

DSC08116-vi.jpg

This should be a fun build and look really cool sitting next to my Danbury Mint Aston Martin DB5 (James Bond car).

Thanks, Bernard!!

Edited by Raul_Perez

Let's see...Raul Perez + resin, this should be fun smile.gif

underneath all that good guy stuff...Bernard is really evil ya know wink.gif

Yes, Bernard is evil, but in a good way :)

And for those that really know me, they also know that this isn't my first adventure with a resin kit. I also built the resin '55 Nomad gasser from SMBC several years ago.

Here's proof:

DSC03248-vi.jpg

I got all of the parts cleaned in bleach to remove the mold release and I'm starting to fit the headlight covers to the body. Once they're fitted it'll be "prime-time"!!

I think I'm going to start with a black basecoat to find any small imperfections. Oddly enough, I'm going to use the same color on the Alfa that I used on the Nomad, but I want it just a bit darker.

Well, back to the bench!!

Later,

If I remember correctly there were three different colors used on these. Does anyone know where to get the colors? I bought one of these kits from Paul a while back and actually talked him into getting some of his cars back out. So glad I got this one. I'm not much into concepts, but like everyone says this is one of the coolest models around. He has talked about doing some of the other BAT cars.

Nic

I have 3 of these Bats and the only color I recall the Bat 5 being in was a graphite. I used Light Graphite by Tamiya . There were 3 Bats 5-7-&9.7 was done in a metallic blue (light) and 9 was a silver. I also ran across a Bat 11? recently. And in diecast I've seen one offered in red with numbers,but I don't know if thats for real or some fantasy.

After all of the parts were cleaned in bleach I added a small piece of brass wire to each of the window posts on the rear edges of the doors.

DSC08117-vi.jpg

Then it was "prime time". It needed a little putty along the bottom edges to clean up a few spots before I spray the black base coat.

DSC08121-vi.jpg

DSC08124-vi.jpg

Though they barely show once you put the body over the chassis, the Herb Deeks wire wheels are really cool and go together pretty easily.

The kit comes with resin inner and outer rims, but I found some outer rims in my parts box that were the same size and already chromed that I knew would look better than painting the resin ones.

DSC08125-vi.jpg

Now it's time for a little sanding and prep before I spray the black basecoat on tomorrow.

Later,

Edited by Raul_Perez

I have 3 of these Bats and the only color I recall the Bat 5 being in was a graphite. I used Light Graphite by Tamiya . There were 3 Bats 5-7-&9.7 was done in a metallic blue (light) and 9 was a silver. I also ran across a Bat 11? recently. And in diecast I've seen one offered in red with numbers,but I don't know if thats for real or some fantasy.

I've seen the graphite silver one. I seem to recall seeing one kind of a greenish metallic color and one a light silver or is this possibly all the same car from different lighting sources?

Nic

I've seen the graphite silver one. I seem to recall seeing one kind of a greenish metallic color and one a light silver or is this possibly all the same car from different lighting sources?

Nic

Spot on! I took these pics at the Blackhawk Museum in Danville, CA, in 2009.

IMG_5314-vi.jpg

IMG_5318-vi.jpg

IMG_5317-vi.jpg

IMG_5315-vi.jpg

IMG_5316-vi.jpg

IMG_5319-vi.jpg

IMG_5320-vi.jpg

They did an anniversary version in 2008, the B.A.T. 11.

http://www.autoblog....s-not-the-next/

bertonealfabat11dk---02_580op.jpg

I despised that thing in photographs, but I have to say, when I saw it in person, I "got it". That happens a lot lately...anything out of the ordinary just doesn't photograph well, but in person they make a lot more sense. In person this thing was really cool. I don't think I've seen any of the originals in person.

• 1 month later...

Last weekend I painted the body, so I spent a few hours tonight getting it color sanded and polished.

IMG_0096-vi.jpg

IMG_0097-vi.jpg

IMG_0098-vi.jpg

Time to break out the BMF and get this thing foiled!! There's a lot of really small window trim to take care of.

Tomorrow I'll find some flat red and get the interior sprayed. If all goes well, this one will be done in about a week or so...

Later,