Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Daytona DX 'Vette

Dave B

I bought this stock kit years ago because it was cheap & hadn't got around to building it. I later bought a'68 Sebring Greenwood kit and decided to build the 'stocker' first. I cast the wheels & tyres from moulds I already had and made the rear flares & clear headlight covers by vacforming over the 'Greenwood' bits. Then only had to make the head light buckets up & go through the parts box for suitable lights & side exhausts. The blue, white & red is all air brushed auto acrylic & I finished it of with VRM decals.

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

Tks for looking

Dave B

I'm with Jon here. I lost interest in the Greenwood car when I saw the cheezy decals they had for the headlights, and found that the thickness of the covers didn't allow enough space under them to put headlight lenses and reflectors. I don't have a vacuform setup, so that's not an option... I wonder if there's any other way to do it..?

Your Vette looks excellent.

Edited by Eric Stone

Would love some detail on how to do the headlight buckets

Sorry guys, for me it was easy as I have 2 small vac pumps. They are pumps that were used to pull down printers plates at the local newspaper. They won't do big jobs but are ideal for little bits & pieces. I just put some plasticine under the Greenwood styrene covers and pulled some clear PVC over them, they are slightly oversize but you can trim them down, they do the job.

Dave B

• 1 year later...

Very nice build. On my list as well.

A very simple vacform setup can be made after a quick trip to Radio Shack. A small , or larger if you wish project box with a perforated bread board (circuit board with un filled holes) is all you need other than a hole saw the size of your vacume cleaner hose and you are good to go. i use an old toaster oven with a simple two piece frame with file clips to hold the plastic for heating.