Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where Were You in '62? World's Fair, Perhaps??

Casey,

thank you for bringing back some good memories.

About 4th grade - remember the folks took us four kids to the '62 World's Fair - can't magine herding four kids like my parents did...

Typical drizzly Seattle day - rode the monorail, toured some pavilions, saw the space needle, and watched the logging show in the rain. Saw the AMT display with the Silhouette but wouldn't have recognized who was there. In 1962, it looked like we'd all be driving bubble tops by now. Mom and Dad would always buy us souvenirs when we went on trips and I brought home an AMT kit of the Space Needle. Brush painted it Testors orange per the instructions and gluebombed it in about an hour... maybe it was 30 minutes.

MVC005S-vi.jpg

I was four and giving cheesy smiles from inside our brand new 1962 Studebaker Lark! That year we lived in an apartment across the street from my grandparents in Jersey City, NJ and my father, the US army officer, spent that year in Viet Nam.

I did go to the New York Worlds Fair in 1965. I remember seeing Mustangs there, and my sister sang that "Small World" song for years.

Six years old, Dad took my brother and I to Century Twenty-One in big ol' Seattle. We rode over on the then "futuristic" Art Deco ferry Kalakala from Bremerton. Mom and little brother were in the hospital, he was just hatched, must have been why we went. Still have a sterling silver "Century Twenty-One" silver dollar sized coin. Didn't get to see Elvis, they were still there filming when we went. Don't remember seeing the AMT exhibit, just lots and lots of people!

Wow....long time ago. I was a freshman in high school in Northern California, playing football....but still building models. That was a pretty big deal then, and the "Needle" was quite a conversation piece. It was still an impressive structure until I watched Bob Stupak build the 1150' Stratosphere Tower in Las Vegas. Bob was a wacky guy but had great vision....although many thought his gorilla climbing the side of the Vegas World Hotel was just weird. It seemed to be a bigger version of the Seattle Space Needle, with more glitz and scary rides on the top. I swear I thought the first big wind would bring it down, but I'd bet lots of people said that about the Needle.

Edited by deja-view

MVC005S-vi.jpg

I was four and giving cheesy smiles from inside our brand new 1962 Studebaker Lark! That year we lived in an apartment across the street from my grandparents in Jersey City, NJ and my father, the US army officer, spent that year in Viet Nam.

I did go to the New York Worlds Fair in 1965. I remember seeing Mustangs there, and my sister sang that "Small World" song for years.

In 1962 I'd guess your dad was an "advisor". ;)